Best Hatchback For Long-Term Use?

I frankly do not know which car i would be going for.The Top end variants of the Punto and Fabia have over-shot our budget by a good 50-60k.

The cheaper option being that of only Swift or the i20 which does not come with any safety feature.

Another thing that i just recollected.Each time i drove the Linea my left foot would get stuck between the clutch and the dead pedal.This made me position my foot in an obtuse angle.Anybody facing the same issue ?

As for the Punto.I guess you are talking about the 1.4 variant.The Emotion Pack of this one comes around 6.65.

Whereas the 1.2 comes around 5.44.
1.4 is obviously the better choice. punto is a heavy car and doesn't really pack a punch like the maruti 1.2. 1.4 is a different story. and i'm pretty sure u'll have some discounts. so why don't you stretch the budget a little bit and get yourself and e+.

Last edited:
Another thing that i just recollected.Each time i drove the Linea my left foot would get stuck between the clutch and the dead pedal.This made me position my foot in an obtuse angle.Anybody facing the same issue ?
This is known problem area of Punto and Linea. But with in a week or 2, you will adjust your position and you will forget about that.

Had a small TD of a punto 1.4 a few days back and honestly if anyone is looking to buy a petrol car ~6L punto it should be.
the engine is sweet and gets sweeter as the rpm increases!
the ride, handling, suspension and steering feel is simply mind blowing!

Also i don't understand the fuss regarding the interior quality of Punto. I think the plastics have a 'built to last a lifetime' feel to them though i agree the fit and finish could have been better at a couple of places. But thats all about it. IMHO polo and fabia are the only cars that have better plastics than punto. i20 is the same in quality maybe slightly better in fit and finish.

If i were you, I would go for punto e+ and drool over it everytime i'd see it.:stupid:

Last edited:
@ il_commendatore I have not driven the Polo and Fabia. Firstly do you have Skoda and VW A.S.S near your place? Its better going in for a car whose A.S.S is near to your home.

My choice still would be Punto. Go for Polo if you are looking for that exclusivity and brand value. Else Punto will be a great buy for you since many of the Punto owners here are really happy with the car.

And hey i20 Asta comes with ABS , EBD and dual airbags for safety.

Skoda,yes i have it in my vincinity.No idea about VW.Anyways,i wasn't much interested in the Polo,primarily because the dealership spread if wafer-thin and also the long waiting periods.

But i was promised the Polo by a dealer if i was ready to pay 15k on.

I had shortlisted in my mind the Swift,Punto and the Vista90.Swift,the waiting period is a month for the Vxi (with or w/o the ABS).Did a bit of number crunching with the Swift and the Punto.

The Vxi with ABS and the Emotion PK.

The difference is around 96k.For which the Punto offers me

1)Dual Airbags
2)Music System with 4-Door speakers
3)Blue-n-Me
4)Climate Control
5)Steering Mounted Audio Controls
6)Height Adjustable Driving Seat
8)Steering Tilt Adjustment
9) Rear Wiper
10)Keyless Entry
11)Electronic OVRM Adjustment
12)Body colored Door Handles
13)Leather Gear Knobs/Steering Wheel

P.S. Did not compare the Emotion PK with the Zxi because of the ridiculously long waiting period.He said 3 months and wasn't even sure about that.

So is it worth the extra 96k ?

Yes its surely worth the price difference.

BTW did any comparison between i20 and Punto?

i20 has everything in your list except Blue and Me but offers electrically retractable ORVM'S.

First of all.Thanks to everyone for chipping in with valuable suggestions.Each post was worth the read.

It was finally down to - i20 Petrol Sportz v Punto Diesel Dynamic v Vista90

(I know,its difficult to shake off the long affiliation with TATA which runs back to,2 Indica's an Indigo and now the Linea :P )

The three above mentioned cars perfectly slotted into our budget.

Punto,no doubt is a fantastic car.But one main reason for backing out was the fact that.There wasn't much change in the interiors when compared to the Linea.Bottomline,i did not want to drive two 'indentical' cars.

Vista90.Was absolutely shocked by the pricing of the car.Got the price list 4 weeks back from Concorde.Yesterday Fortune Motors guy confirmed it.He too seemed tad disappointed and shocked at the pricing of the car.

Now the i20.To put it simple it was refreshing.Will talk about in detail sometime later.

Booked the i20 Sportz Crystal White.4-6 weeks waiting,since the plant is closed down for maintainence and Diwali.

Thank you once again,everyone.

4-6 weeks? and its november. i would say thats a pretty bad decision. should've waited for the new year. i though u'll stick to the gp 1.4 e+ and after all its your car, and its you who should be appy. i20 drinks fuel like we drink coke, so do take care. and congrats on the new car. white cars are always good looking.

What 4-6 weeks??!! My friend got it here within 10 days , i20 Asta sparkle blue!

But still anyways congrats! I like i20 in white too infact many cars looks classy and royal in White!

FE my friend got 18.xxkmpl in highways , FE in city is only disappointing though , don expect anything more than 13kmpl!

Top Bottom