Best GPS Maps, Provider, PNDs

it seems these maps are not much practical in india and indian geography .

practicality means in urban areas it does'nt make much sense to use such toys. all we need is just ask a passer by.

but in remote areas we should have something handy and reliable ...

expecting more inputs and experiences..

Yes remote areas you can't completely rely on those electronic gadgets , confirming the route with a passer-by is always good.

But seriously nothing can beat the hand-held enlarged maps , they are the most accurate![thumbsup] We carry a map of the place wherever we go on a long trip , definitely useful!

i have been using mapmyinida for 2years . it has almost all road please note that i have most updated map and most of people who complain forget that you need update your map if you want new roads to appear . But yes i agree in rural area you have to ask people . GPS has long way to go . Don't expect them work like US because that's developed country and we are still developing . But GPS are developing even we have 3D map of delhi now days . i loved this new app from mapmyindia but was little costly .

Driving in rural area is not much pain as they don't have that many road compare to cities where one single wrong turn and you are lost . For me GPS always comes to rescue .

Always drive your car with your brain and little help from GPS specially in india .

in a nut shell buy now and update only when fully evolved like US. Will take at least 5-10 years easily to match it up with other developed countries. Thats what i will be doing, no more updates already have lost my hard earned money twice on updating these

most important factor for me is :

when there is a traffic block or such things in unknown territory on a long drive, most of us will have tendency to find some alternative route and that is when the gps come to rescue.

but the gps i have used in mobile and from the owners whom have used is nothing but toy / eye candy i.e not much of any help.

it is alarming to see the dispaly showing "error occured " "downloading the data" "connecting " for eternity , when you are nowhere in the world!!!!

Funny.. I use Google maps and OVi Maps in My E52. Last day when near Rajakkat(It's in Idukki Kerala), OVI maps showed no info available, while Google Maps showed the approximate location (within 800 Meters.. [clown] ) But at-least we know the next place to go and enquire to the local community.
Ps. Always make sure that you ask the nearest place to go to a villager not the one which is 150 -200 Kms away

I remember one funny thing
Me : happy and driving
GPS : please follow this path for 2KM
Me: ok
While crossing river
GPS : Turn Left!!
Me : stopped the car look around but only river i can see . so kept travelling on flyover
GPS : kept saying turn left turn left turn left !!!!
Me : *anger* thinking ( does this device wants me to jump into river )

So never follow GPS like mind less zombie who know next time you want to go UP it may take you Pakistan [lol]

lol at that Mastersquall. yes even I have experienced wrong info by GPS. it led me to many dead ends. but many times it was useful. Once I used a friend's iPhone 4 GPS and it accurately spotted me where i was even though i was in the middle of nowhere.

I Recently got Google maps Navigation working on my Nexus S using some tools. And used it for my recent trip to Coimbatore.

It is Effortless and very precise. Also after initial routing is done, one can switch off gprs/3g connection, So its sort of semi-offline mode of navigation.
But the best part is that it can reroute immediately, if one takes a worng turn in one way road. It happened to me once It rerouted me very precisely in narrow lanes of coimbatore city and I was able to reach destination without asking for directions.

so do we have a reliable gps gadget yet ?

google map requires constant downloading and connected online. that is how in my lg optimus1.
moment you take a turn behind the hill " connection error"

for offline most reliable GPScompare to others is MMI . hmm in google i usually explore road which i have to travel after that google cache maps so even if i loose connection i still able to use it without any problem . i just hope google soon release navigation so that we don't need mod to activate it

GPS devices in Car

Hi friends,
Wanted to know how many interested in GPS installation in car.Its a wonderful add on to car.I have a 6 inch screen monitor with built in gps receiver with India map with details of 830 cities,millions of poi ..The monitor works with my rear camera ss well.It can act as video monitor as well.IT has Bluetooth for connecting your phone.FM receiver.Sd card dot for playing music,videos,images etc.,For those without knowledge of gps ..no monthly caste or gprs charge..one time purchase total cost 8000.well i have more latest map in my phone galaxy s2.I thought i should share my knowledge on gps and we can discuss what ..maps..etc..
Please discuss your devices and if you want to install one..

I'm using Destinator for navigation on my carputer.It has got a GPS receiver(bought for Rs1490).The screen is a 7 inch touchscreen.[:D]

Top Bottom