Best Entry Level Diesel Sedan: Manza / Dzire / Etios / Fiesta Classic

Best Entry Level Diesel Sedan?

• Total voters
Re: Best Entry Level Diesel Sedan: Manza / Dzire / Etios / Fiesta Classic etc

Originally Posted by TSIVipul

@Autosafari:
Are you sure you have driven a Manza as well as a Fiesta both?
Okay what my driving experience says that Manza looses nearly all its appeal once you cross 120-130 kph mark or even 110 mark and has the best(that's a joke) NVH levels too and I am yet to understand where does the Manza matches the high-speed stability and sportiness of a Fiesta?Also the pliant ride of a Fiesta?
Recently I drove manza@130 to 145 kmph for a distance more than 50 km.I didn't any of the problems mentioned by you .
I guess Vipul hasn't driven Manza above 100kmph or he hasn't driven at all.(why and when should he drive Manza btw ?)

Manza looses out only on twists and turn with its body roll else on a straight line it has awesome straight line stability/grip and good brakes , better than Vista. I have gone upto 145kmph in Vista as well as Manza and Manza wins.

I haven't driven fiesta but I am comparing it against Punto [:D]

We must add the sunny to in the poll .
Aye aye Sir...Sunny should be included.

I happened to sit on the rear seat of SUNNY, found that knee room is exessive but the foot room for a moderately stretched legs with front seat 80% slided back. So the caaaaar factor was not felt on rear atleast. And the rear comfort is better than other cars not Manza

But when it comes to comparison of front + rear comfort , Sunny will probably have an edge over manza.
Need to TD and check the front seats underthigh support.

Voted for the Ford Fiesta Classic Tdci. i being an owner of one may sound a little partial but if even today i am in the market for a diesel sedan in the entry level i would pick the Fiesta Classic. None of the so called Fords high cost of ownership and servicing and spare parts i have experienced till yet in the 1 n half year of our ownership. The service cost till date has just been 8.2k in total after 4 services. Its even less than a hatchback we own and then add the unmatched mileage. Have been getting close to 21kmpl everytime on tankful.
Plus even today it looks like a proper well propotioned sedan from every angle and not like what the other manufacturers are offerring - just a hatch with a after thought boot attached.
And in no way can any of those cars in the comparison come close to the ride and handling which is the USP of the Fiesta Classic. Plus the hydraulic steering is so addictive and if your someone who loves driving i am sure you'll have a tough time letting anyone else drive this machine.[:)] I have only driven except for Fiesta Classic ,
+1 to you buddy, Fiesta Classic till today has got the decent sedan looks and as you said the spares and service is cheaper when compared to other sedans/hatches. It managed to give 15kmpl in hill stations too.

Etios backseat is more like Logan/Verito - Bench like.
Dzire has bucket seats even in rear, with centre arm rest.
The comfort for 2 persons in Dzire is more than Etios.
Ofcourse, most comfy is the Manza.
Thanks for the answer.So if we change the dzire to bench type seats, 3 people could be accommodated comfortably ??
I sat in the Etios and felt the rear seats to be low set, so under thigh support less adequate and had to keep stretching my legs [frustration]

Thanks for the answer.So if we change the dzire to bench type seats, 3 people could be accommodated comfortably ??
I sat in the Etios and felt the rear seats to be low set, so under thigh support less adequate and had to keep stretching my legs [frustration]
Yes, that should do the trick. However, when there are only 2 persons at rear seat, it will be uncomfy for them. If you see even Merc or cars like Skoda Superb or VW Passat, only 2 people sit comfortably in rear.
Etios is hopeless, inside out (no offence to anyone); if you want bench like comfort at back for 3, look for Mahindra Verito. It is much better than Etios.

In my opinion, based on the market dynamics and acceptabiliy, following is the trend visible -

Engine reliability, Great maintenance, superb ASS - Maruti Dzire, Toyota Etios (as is very much visible from the great response from Taxi guys. Remember, Taxi guys only go for cars which are completely reliable and maintenance free as well as comfortable)

Exteriorlooks - IMHO, none of the cars is a killer in this segment. Different people will have their own preferences based on personal taste. My choice - i hate the looks of Mahindra Verito and Tata Indigo. Dzire and Etios have got average looks. Ford Fiesta has got some dated looks but still is somewhat better than the lot and Manza looks are above average.

Interior looks - Etios can improve a lot but with its new beige interior setting, its appeal has improved. It though has got loads of space and comfort. Dzire has got some fantastic interior but lacks space and comfort. Manza has got some great interior looks plus space so clearly Manza is the winner here. Veriot - nothing to comment about.

Price - i guess Dzire and Etios are the cheaper ones among the given lot plus given their reliability and ASS, they do score above the others. Manza and Classic are cars which are worth considering as an overall package.

I voted for Ford Classic which is earlier ford fiesta classic.

Only Ford classic and toyota etios are well proportioned or pleasing to look at. Etios looses big time on cheap interiors and alto range of plastics for a very high price point.

For handling, ride quality and sharp head lamps and good rounded looks ford classic wins in the entry level diesel sedans in India. Hope ford promotes it instead of discontinuing it in long run say 2-3 years down the line!

I have voted for Manza, it is just king size VFM entry level sedan. It was really a tie between Ford fiesta and Manza, but space is the one I love more [:)]

Is it appropriate to call a car as sedan unless proper importance is given to the rear comfort.?
If drivers delight is concerned there are so many driver friendly premium hatches available in the market than the fiesta classic.

Two driver unfriendly things in manza I found were
1)poor underthigh support for tall front passegers, The discomfort felt if the daily running is at higher level say 100 km/day. But topend Manza comes with height adustible seat nullifying the underthigh support problem.

Why tata has thought that in a family with moderately tall front passegers will have taller passegers at rear?[frustration]

2) big blind spot at right A pillar.

So I feel , the tie between fiesta and manza was inevitable.

Last edited:
Is it appropriate to call a car as sedan unless proper importance is given to the rear comfort.?
If drivers delight is concerned there are so many driver friendly premium hatches available in the market than the fiesta classic.

Two driver unfriendly things in manza I found were
1)poor underthigh support for tall front passegers, The discomfort felt if the daily running is at higher level say 100 km/day. But topend Manza comes with height adustible seat nullifying the underthigh support problem.

Why tata has thought that in a family with moderately tall front passegers will have taller passegers at rear?[frustration]

2) big blind spot at right A pillar.

So I feel , the tie between fiesta and manza was inevitable.
Tornado,

Have you checked the new clubclass Manza, I think the problems expressed by you are already addressed and it offers unmatched comfy [:)]

I haven't checked the Clubclass manza in flesh,Underthigh support can be improved, but not the, A pillar blind spot unless they modify the design.

tornado,

Can you little elaborate what is A pillar blind spot, I just want to understand it
With normal sitting positon due to lack of trianglar glass at the base of the right A pilar, it is impossible to visualise the object lying next to the A pillar, when eyes, right A pillar and object come in one line. This blind spot is big enough to conceal a scooter approching in that line. You have move your head sideways so as to visualise the object approching from right side espesially at unmanned signals and chowks when you are trying to take a right turn.

First and third pics show the base of the right A pillar obstructing the vision from normal seating positon.
The secondand fourth pics taken with left lateral movement of head which shows the scooters which were hidden next to right A pillar.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom