Bentley Blower Returns To Racing After 93 Years

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
The first car of Bentley’s Blower Continuation Series, known as Car Zero, is all-set to invoke the history of its ancestor by racing at a series of events across 2023.
  • Bentley Blower Continuation Series, first pre-war continuation series ever created, has been built by hand using a combination of modern laser-scanned data and original drawings.
  • Both blueprints and 3D data were taken from the 1929 4½-litre supercharged Team Car #2 – the most famous Bentley in the world, and one of the icons of the Bentley Heritage Collection.
  • The Car Zero will assume the original Blower’s mantle and race to win, 93 years after that car competed at Le Mans, including at the Circuit de la Sarthe, located in Le Mans, Sarthe, France.
  • The modifications to allow Blower Car Zero for racing are mostly minor and safety-related, including the installation of a rain light, wing mirrors, towing points, fire extinguisher and a battery isolation switch.
  • This car also now holds a Historic Technical Passport (HTP), which certifies the car as eligible to compete in FIA-sanctioned events for historic vehicles.
  • Twelve further Blower Continuation Series cars have been commissioned through Mulliner. Some of them will compete at Le Mans together with original Bentley Team cars from the 1920s.
  • Blower Car Zero will compete at three tracks in 2023: Donington Park, UK, 29-30 April. Le Mans, France, 29 June – 3 July. Spa, Belgium, 28-30 September.
Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-1.jpg

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-2.jpg

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-3.jpg

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-4.jpg

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-5.jpg

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-6.jpg

Bentley-Blower-Car-Zero-7.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi
back in 2014 my good friend, wearing the sunglasses in the last photo, bought a 1929 Le Man's Special Bentley (extended range fuel tank seen on the back of the car). We watched this car being restored over several years. Very interesting car to drive. Crash gear box. "A" pedal in the middle (C-A-B). All original parts worked, some modifications were made to make it easier to drive. Twin electric fuel pumps, instead of hand pumping air to pressurise the fuel tank and an alternator to give better lighting.
The car cost about 75,000,000 IND rupees. (£750,000), fully restored. I actually drove the car further and faster than my good friend. I feel very privileged at having had the opportunity to drive such a beautiful rare example of British motoring. By the way W.O.Bentley did not approve of the "blower"
The photos were taken at The Goodwood Revival and Stow Marie's WW1 1914-1918 airfield used by the Royal Flying Corps (later to become the RAF). The car was owned by an RFC pilot who flew a Sopwith Pup bi-plane fighter from Stow Marie's 12 years before he bought the Bentley. The plane behind the Bentley is a flying Sopwith Pup replica.
My most memorable experience was driving at over 170km/hr in the dark while it was raining. No windscreen wipers (had to take one hand off the steering wheel and wipe my goggles with a cloth !!!!! Men were men back in 1929 !!!!!
Sadly the car had to be sold 5 years ago, someone else is enjoying her now.
Regards Neil

Attachments

Top Bottom