Battle of the Entry Level UVs: Sumo Gold vs Bolero

Which UV is better buy at the moment

• Sumo Gold

Votes: 61 37.2%
  • Bolero

Votes: 103 62.8%

• Total voters
I got it for just under 6 lakhs on road, this is the power steering version.
Yes they have the camper version which is a dual cab, but I wanted something purely for hauling goods and it had to be super vfm, rugged, low maintenance and ultra reliable. This has the highest load hauling capability in the segment I believe.

If we were looking for a dual cab I would have considered the xenon cc as well.

This is one vehicle we bought without even road testing or going to the showroom.[lol]
Congrats IR on the bolero.

I sold off my bolero recently with 300k kms on the ODO (done in ~3.5 years). That engine is seriously abuse friendly.

One thing you may want to look out for: rusting in the loading/cargo area. I don't know if Mahindra has solved the problem or not, but in both my bolero's, there was a lot of rust in the entire car, but even more so in the loading area. I have observed that the later year models were better, but the loading area is still an issue.

Thanks,
Simple_car

I sold off my bolero recently with 300k kms on the ODO (done in ~3.5 years). That engine is seriously abuse friendly.

One thing you may want to look out for: rusting in the loading/cargo area. I don't know if Mahindra has solved the problem or not, but in both my bolero's, there was a lot of rust in the entire car, but even more so in the loading area. I have observed that the later year models were better, but the loading area is still an issue.

Thanks,
Simple_car
That is a good tip, great if you share pictures of the rust prone areas if you have, ill do some preventive jhugaad - are you referring to underbody or loading bay ?

Also i guess the rust will accelerate usually when there is a paint damage done while in the loading process(harsh labourers, banging and throwing stuff around).

Congrats IR on your Bolero purchase. Have fun with it for years to come :) BTW, did you consider Tata Xenon as an option?
Nope I didnt consider the Xenon at all, if i was looking for a dual cab for personal use i would have surely considered it, but since this was purely for business utility purpose and loading/transporting, the bolero was a no brainer, its ultra reliable, basic, abuse friendly, rugged work horse - basically a donkey who wouldn't complain!

I am just wondering if more frequent diesel spray which is done after the full car wash should avoid or at least rusting to a large extent?

Last edited:

Thanks,
Simple_car
Mumbai is on the costal area so that me a reson to catch the rust preety sooner, In ratnagiri I have seen Bolero pick ups which are used to transpot fish cartons catching rust as they contain salty water and also weater is responsible factor, but in Pune I have seen a single pick up catching rust

Used to own a bolero for some time and the worst thing I ever experienced was the Clutch failure.It failed at different levels at different times.Other than that Bolero is the right vehicle in the bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore .Why ? Nobody will scratch my Bolero.[;)]. There was no rust till I sold it in 2010 and no mechanical failures. That vehicle had traveled 1.25 L Kms throughout India and was a joy to ride. Now the best part,an 8 year old Bolero I sold for 3.5 Lacs [clap]

Mumbai is on the costal area so that me a reson to catch the rust preety sooner, In ratnagiri I have seen Bolero pick ups which are used to transpot fish cartons catching rust as they contain salty water and also weater is responsible factor, but in Pune I have seen a single pick up catching rust
The one's whose cargo bay was heavily used almost always had this issue, and most garages which used to take care of these cars recommended a body repair after 3-4 years depending on the use. I am told that leaf spring suspension also takes a good toll on the body adding further salt to the already rust prone bodyshells in the earlier bolero's.

That is a good tip, great if you share pictures of the rust prone areas if you have, ill do some preventive jhugaad - are you referring to underbody or loading bay ?
Sorry, but I don't have any pics. The rust was there on the whole car (doors, underbody, loading bay, bonnet) except for the chassis. The rust shouldn't be much of an issue for the first couple of years. Post that, just keep an eye.

Also, just keep the leaf springs well lubricated every 3-4 months. It really helps prolong their life! Mine used to last about 100k kms before a complete overhaul was required.

Thanks,
Simple_car

I have had the chance to travel in both these people (and cargo and cattle and material and everything else that needs to be carried) carriers over the few years , and as a passenger , my vote goes hands down to the Sumo.
Sorted ride and Better AC are my reasons for preference. On the in-laws side we have a Sumo Victa in the family, which has run 3.25L KMs when I last checked and is still being used every day.
Bolero on the other hand, is much better styled, with all sections appearing proportional. However, I cannot forgive Mahindra for still having doors with the hinges on the outside.... A minor quibble , yes, but somehow makes me think M&M has deliberately not made a vehicle as good as it can be.

Unless anyone can manage to hang out their driver windows from a Bolero and enjoy its "butch" looks while simultaneously driving it, I am not quite sure how
compromising on space, comfort, ride quality or engine power makes sense just because a pair of alloys or wider tyres look better on a bolero than it might on a sumo gold.

Bolero is a great car and the sales figures are a clear give away. But I think.people are swayed more by the marketing than the actual product. If people really cared about what they wanted to drive instead of worrying about how to convince family members or ignorant bystanders who might think you're driving a cab, they would go for a car they love and not one that may be "better perceived" in the minds of those who won't be contributing even a penny on the vehicles cost.

IMHO.

Unless anyone can manage to hang out their driver windows from a Bolero and enjoy its "butch" looks while simultaneously driving it, I am not quite sure how
compromising on space, comfort, ride quality or engine power makes sense just because a pair of alloys or wider tyres look better on a bolero than it might on a sumo gold.

Bolero is a great car and the sales figures are a clear give away. But I think.people are swayed more by the marketing than the actual product. If people really cared about what they wanted to drive instead of worrying about how to convince family members or ignorant bystanders who might think you're driving a cab, they would go for a car they love and not one that may be "better perceived" in the minds of those who won't be contributing even a penny on the vehicles cost.

IMHO.
Lots of us go by the looks. Sumo is also not a bad vehicle.Sumo had killed the competition in the mid 90's.But by the beginning of this century,the 'Taxi' tag was so much that people who wanted to go for personal vehicles would rather say no to it. The TASS was also to be blamed for that,where you don't get a value as a customer.Interiors if you see, Bolero had not improved much at all.15 years,its the same.So is Sumo.How others see is one big problem that we have in our mind and that is the reason we will adopt newer and better options,which we can't negate.I had driven Bolero but not a Sumo ,so handling part,I cannot compare.Space wise,Sumo wins.But Bolero is spinning money for consecutive years for Mahindra.

I am driving a Bolero now, and had driven a Sumo, a non power steering one.

In handling part -Bolero is miles ahead & look wise also. But on every other aspects, i.e. on engine power, comfort & space, Sumo is the winner. Sumo can tolerate
abuse too. The main spoil sport of Sumo is, it's horrible soft suspension. If TATA can work with it's suspension, steering & looks, then Sumo definitely a winner IMO.

Regards, ..........

Last edited:
if the power steering does not remain straight but say goes about 10 degrees to the left when one lets go of the steering on a straight road leading to the vehicle not staying on course then whats the easiest/quickest way to fix this? of course taking it to the ASC but just wanted to know how much time/work is involved. any info appreciated.

Top Bottom