Basic Tools To Always Keep Inside Your Car

How about a Hockey bat? in case if someone want's to mug you when you are travelling in the night or in a deserted highway
Hi,
For self defense Steel Hand batons and pepper spray (security guards uses these) has to be there in the car if you are travelling in the night or unknown territory.
I used to carry a Baseball Bat which I purchased from Big Bazar for Rs. 99 some years back after I heard about the Bombay Floods in 2006 when people couldn't open the Power windows of their cars and were suffocated and couldn't escape. Its advisable to atleast keep a small hammer for situation like these, But in Pune nowadays forget floods there is hardly any drizzle of rains [frustration]

I have a dynamo torch, first aid kit + a strip of Saridon and Crocin, puncture kit, foot pump, a roll of insulation tape, spare bulbs, and a Swiss army knife in addition to the normal kit supplied by the manufacturer.

Few days back I found jacking up my car with the mechanical jack pretty tiresome. And also the foot pump - I must have pumped at least a few hundred times to inflate the tyre.

I came across this ad in Times of India, and am seriously thinking of buying this.

Has anybody used these before?
Hi 'Highway Ranger', pls. let me know if you receive any feedback regarding the same as I've also seen this add and was considering the same but don't know about the quality of the equipments listed. Thanks.

Attachments

Thread Starter #32

350Z

Core Team
For self defense Steel Hand batons and pepper spray (security guards uses these) has to be there in the car if you are travelling in the night or unknown territory.
+1 to that. Keep a Pepper Spray. It’s safe and absolutely legal to use in India for self defense.

I used to carry a Baseball Bat which I purchased from Big Bazar for Rs. 99 some years back after I heard about the Bombay Floods in 2006 when people couldn't open the Power windows of their cars and were suffocated and couldn't escape.
Use (removable) seat head rests in case of such situations when a tool like hammer is not available.

Drive Safe,
350Z

If it is a hatchback (as the boot is easily accessible)even a jack rod can be used to beak the windows.

Even it can be used for self defense.

I heard about the Bombay Floods in 2006 when people couldn't open the Power windows of their cars and were suffocated and couldn't escape. Its advisable to atleast keep a small hammer for situation like these,
use your car's front seat's head rest for breaking window glass in emergency.
its best tool to break windshield too, all headrest has point in steel rod.

BTW, yesterday i stuck in very common scenario .
my key was inside car and i was outside [evil] .
but good thing is that, i always keem my front door glasses open (about 1 or 1.5 inch) coz, i don't have sunfilms :(
and i was luckily in cargo motors (heavy vehicle showroom / workshop ) one of foreman helped me to open door via a "taar" (thin metal wire) .

after above (my first time ) experience, i will always keem that "taar" in my car. which can be accessible from outside car (in a secrete place like under body / front bumper etc).

I would say my list :-
1. hydraulic jack
2. air compressor
3. repair kit
4. base ball or hammer as suggested
5. universal screw driver
6. universal nut bolt driver
7. swiss army knife and a good torch which can be recharged from cigratte lighter

Yes, torch chargeable at cigarette lighter point is a practical suggestion becoz who remember s to change the batteries.?

Swis army set will be placed most probably in the glovebox.
But one should also placed a wrapped shaving blade in the pocket of sun visor .It can be used to cut the seat belt if glovebox is not openable.

I know , It is not a tool , but I always carry the camphor tablets which are helpful to drive mosquitoes and flies from the car when placed and allowed to evaporate from the AC vents.

@350Z its nice to see this post and its a very important one

I keep a anti puncture kit, spanner, screwdriver set, a 2 litre pepsi bottel with fuel in it, a nice cotton cloth, 1 litre pepsi bottel with some shampoo in it, news papers, torch, Small Hexsaw, a good firstaid kit, I missed tow rope, hope i never require it...

@ HR
I doubt the quality of goods. If the hydraulic jack is of inferior quality, One fine day, after jacking up, it will start coming down by itself. This vaccum cleaner will be waste of money. And tool kit provided is for light work only. A little extra force and its finished! Tubeless repair kit is useful. Also the compressor would be useful.
IMO, emergency items should be manually operated. Imagine you have a flat tyre and a dead battery simultaneously. Foot pump, though tiring, will work in any case. If you buy the 12v compressor, retain your foot pump.
Things I have in my car (apart from standard tool kit provided by the makers)
A first aid box with assorted medicines and first aid kit.
A set of spanners 8-24
Tubeless puncture repair kit
A foot pump
Spare headlight bulbs
A rechargeable flashlight
A multi phone charger (using cig lighter point)
Rod type steering wheel lock, which can be used for other purposes, if needed.
Car cover (only when I go for a long drive).

I should include jump start cable and tow rope as well.

I think one Important thing which i would like to keep in spare in my car is -
Main fuse,Headlight fuse
because fuse are heart of the car & it may blow anytime during journey.
With out main fuse your car will not start

Fuses wont give you any problem. Unless unauthorised electrical jobs/ modifications/ installations have been carried out.
But keeping one fuse of each rating is actually a good idea.

Good thread by 350z.
I keep following tools in my car toolkit.
Spanner 8-18
Master spanner
Screw driver set
Spare Fuses
Electrical tape
Knife
Extra screw,nut bolts.
sand paper
long reach Tyre lever(apart from OE)
1 meter metal hollow pipe(during long journey,used for unbolting tyres to support wrench,it has saved me many times)
1 meter wire,just required incase
set of headlamps
Rechargeable Torch

Apart from this,
Towing Rope 5 ton,3.5 meters.
Fire Extinguisher

Mobile Charger
Newspapers.
first aid box
spare 2 liter bottle
Spare cloths and tissues

Things yet to buy
shackles for tow rope
Tyre puncture kit

Last edited:
I keep a bottle of distil water and a can of engine oil. A 2 litre bottle for fuel will do and is easier to pour into the fuel tank than a 5 or 20 ltr can.
How about a safety triangle, folks?
I met an ex-army chap who had a gun in his car; a bullet owner with a sword hidden in the crash bar. I am thinking of buying a machete, for cutting fallen trees blocking the road, or a damsel in distress, of course!
Very useful thread. 350z, you are doing great and selfless service to India and her drivers.

Top Bottom