Basic Information on In-Car Entertainment (ICE)

Well BB, there is a lot about ICE if we wanna learn. Hence i say, i am a newbie. You will know enough only if you are a professional installer.

whatever info i have gained is solely through reading & browsing.

Yes, now next i wanna learn how to Tune an amp- the gain settings, the crossover frequencies, etc.

Tuning - the major part of an installer ,

Even a high end audio will sound like a crap if not installed properly.

These things comes out of practical experience.

Our style is keeping the head unit in flat mode, and also fixing gain not more than 20% , increase beyond them only if needed.

Cross over setting depend upon customer , keeping a very low cross over is correct theoretically but do not allow more punch , some people may not like them , a small increase in cross over freq will increase the boomy effect .
-----------Next Post-----------
3 rd pic of rockford shallow sub , i have seen them in real . it had a good performance too . hmm tight bass . good one!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Great work, Raj. That's a much needed information for those who are new to In-car Entertainment and wish to learn about its basics. Thread sticky! :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #20
Thanks RSM & Vibhor.

This is something i have always read & heard- If you are looking for pure SQ, then go for Alpine or Clarion HUs. These cost upwards of 15k. However, they feel flat at high volumes. If you are interested in SPL (especially those setups which have a sub), look at Pioneer HU. They are a pinch low in SQ but can be quite loud when asked to be!

This is the reason i prefer Pioneer HUs. I have not heard too good reviews about HUs from Sony, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, etc.

Another debatable topic is - How good are Sony products? Of course, they are not bad when it comes to reliability but they are pretty average when it comes to sound! This i am saying from personal experience. Whether its speakers, HUs or amps, other brands have left Sony far behind & most importantly, offer better products at the same price!

I think reason is- car audio is just a small part of a huge brand- Sony, unlike other brands who are solely into car audio products like JBL, Illusion, Pioneer, etc.

yes, there are some Sony loyalists who will never agree to this & will only opt for sony speakers without auditioning other brands.

Also, Pioneer HUs are great but i have not heard too good reviews about pioneer speakers. One thing i have noticed is that pioneer speakers play loud but at the expense of sound quality. All these are just my personal observations. Opinions may vary.

Excellent thread Raj , keep it coming! I learnt a lot of new things here today.

One doubt , as the sub draws lot of power from the battery we cannot hear songs in full bass when car is switched OFF right? If we do so the battery drains a lot right? So after installing a capacitor can we listen to high bass songs even if the car is switched OFF?

One doubt , as the sub draws lot of power from the battery we cannot hear songs in full bass when car is switched OFF right? If we do so the battery drains a lot right? So after installing a capacitor can we listen to high bass songs even if the car is switched OFF?

No , capacitor just stores for about 1 or 2 punches .

Do not hear songs in a car with engine off with sub's.

Although in normal set up like a head unit and 4 speakers connected to them is ok

Thread Starter #24

yes, as ilango said, caps are used so that the subs never miss a beat.

when a car is switched off, a normal setup like mine (4 speakers + 1 sub + 1 amp) can be heard. i do hear songs in my scorpio when its engine is not running. but yes, since mine is a diesel car, the battery is more powerful too.

but in high end setups like 4-6 speakers with a 4 ch amp, 2 powerful subs with mono amp and all, its risky to play with engine switched off.

even in your setup, even though you have 2 subs, they are JBL & are connected with two 2 ch amps, so i dont think they will draw too much power. you can easily play music for atleast half an hour in moderate volume.

by the way, have you added an amp for the speakers?

Great thread Raj. The first pic though shows a single din unit, the space is actually for 2 din system. I will use this thread as my reference!

Thread Starter #26
yes buddy, i purposely selected that pic so that everyone could see how a 1 DIN HU would fit in a 2 DIN slot as most of the cars these days come with a 2 DIN slot.

Guys, this is my current setup:

Pioneer FH P6050UB HU
Pioneer TS S201 50W Tweeters (X2)
400W JBL oval (X2)
Blaupunkt 750W mono block amp (X1)
1000W Hertz Sub (X1)
150W Panasonics door speakers (X4) (they came with the car but they sound pretty decent actually - want to upgrade to kenwood when i have the money)

I have a doubt though: only 2 of the 4 door speakers are connected. People are telling me not to connect the other two because it will reduce sound quality. is this true? and why? should i go for a 4 channel amp to connect the speakers?

Also, can somone differenciate the sound quality of the rear oval speakers
when they are:
a) setup in speaker boxes
b) setup on a slab?

i hope i'm being clear on what i'm asking!!

Front and rear speakers sharing the same line will reduce./share power themself.

Fixing in speaker box calculated to the speaker gives tight punch , fixing on slab as you mention will take up the dicky space as box. It will give loose punch

No Raj i have still not added amp to my front speakers! [frustration] Planning to change them to comps soon!

But do i really need to add amp to the front speakers? Unlike before after changing the HU the bass thump effect is not overshadowing the vocals anymore and i can hear the voice clearly even in volume level 3.

Top Bottom