Barricade - Yamaha FZ-16 (2009) - Midnight Black

Thread Starter #182

deville_56

Honoured Member
Hey deville, congrats for keeping your ride top notch for 6 years! I'm not much of a DIY-er, but your thread inspires lazy bums like me too [:)].

I too own an FZ for the past 3 years. I plan for some minor modifications or upgrades now as I finally got some free time. It would be great if you can give some suggestions regarding that.

1. Tyres - My stock tyres are running at 24k kms. Rear tyre badly needs a replacement as it is highly unstable in wet surfaces now. Which one do you suggest? I think the front tyres will be good enough for a couple of thousand kms more.

2. Mirrors - Is that P220 NS mirrors in yours a direct fit on FZ?

I'm also thinking about blackening the green parts(mine is an FZ-S) to get the FZ look. Got to refresh the looks a bit as it's been a while.
1. For stock size, there is only MRF as of now. New version is better they claim. But umpteen options if you chose 140/70. All depends on budget. Avoid ContiGO and Michelin Pilot Sporty at any cost. For tight budget there is CEAT Zoom XL and stock MRF from CBR. More budget there is Pirelli Sports Demon and Michelin Pilot Street.

2. 200NS mirror is direct fit. Right now using RTR mirrors with KTM Duke rubber boots. Forgot to update about that.
200NS/RTR/Pulsar/Unicorn/Duke mirrors are direct fit on FZ.

Thread Starter #184

deville_56

Honoured Member
Most asked question was what happens after 99999, will it reset to 0?? Answer is NO, meter won't count beyond 99999. Maybe Yamaha thought either the bike or the meter conks off before hitting the mark.

And the meter conked off before that. See the POST, many LCD segments are missing.

2016-05-07 21-29-43.JPG

Solution, new meter assembly.

2016-05-07 21-31-53.JPG

Speedometer Assembly 21C-H3500-60 ₹ 2,316.00

2016-05-07 21-30-54.JPG

Pricol make.

2016-05-07 21-32-06.JPG

Comparo with old one. Dial is different. No 3D logo. Glass is flush-fit with casing. LCD a bit darker.

2016-05-07 22-12-02.JPG

Meter swap. 20 minutes flat

2016-05-07 22-43-17.JPG

New meter POST.

2016-05-07 22-44-01.JPG

Everything working fine.

2016-05-07 22-44-10.JPG

Wow its kind of exciting to see someone testing fz to its limits. However I got scared too. Incase someone go for a used fz, one can easily replace the odo unit and we won't know how many kms the bike has really clocked.
Gonna be careful if I ever go for a used fz or any other bike.

[surprise]And here in chandigarh even owners of 2010 models are asking above 35k, some are even asking more than 45k[frustration]. Can't blame them though, everyone thinks that they should get the best price for their bike with only a little depreciation.

More budget there is Pirelli Sports Demon and Michelin Pilot Street.
Thanks for the suggestion. Went ahead and bought Michelin Pilot Street and I'm loving it. [:)] Even the mechanic who fitted the tire was all praises for it. I hope no more fish tailing now on wards!

One more query, can the Pulsar 200 NS handle bar end weights fitted on FZ?

Thread Starter #191

deville_56

Honoured Member
One more query, can the Pulsar 200 NS handle bar end weights fitted on FZ?
Not direct fit. You have to weld in a nut at either end of handle to bolt them. RTR weights come with rods and they are direct fit. Cost some 230 bucks per side.

Continental GT first batch weight assembly also fits, but impossible to get. I have been waiting for over a year to fit one for GT. Ended up fitting RTR one on GT. GT assembly costs under 150, but chrome and smaller. Advantage is you can remove hand grip without removing the weight, which is not the case with RTR weights.

Yours FZ Looks tempting, btw I am using an Old Pulsar. 2004 be precise, It making me fire on my spine, whenever I accidentally downshift after overtaking a bus or so instead of up-shifting. (it has all down pattern). I was planned to restore completely and got to know changing gear box is a big deal. and also because of this wrong shifting exercise, Now I am planing to buy another bike or swap with an old FZ or 220 :) what is your suggestion Devil?

Thread Starter #194

deville_56

Honoured Member
Yours FZ Looks tempting, btw I am using an Old Pulsar. 2004 be precise, It making me fire on my spine, whenever I accidentally downshift after overtaking a bus or so instead of up-shifting. (it has all down pattern). I was planned to restore completely and got to know changing gear box is a big deal. and also because of this wrong shifting exercise, Now I am planing to buy another bike or swap with an old FZ or 220 :) what is your suggestion Devil?
It's a hard to crack question. Reliability and handling - FZ, performance and VFM - 220. But it's hard to get decent condition bikes. Either will be ill maintained or raped to core. Both will give 40ish mileage, may be a good condition FZ gives a little more. FZ bliss in city, 220 more highway friendly.

It's a hard to crack question. Reliability and handling - FZ, performance and VFM - 220. But it's hard to get decent condition bikes. Either will be ill maintained or raped to core. Both will give 40ish mileage, may be a good condition FZ gives a little more. FZ bliss in city, 220 more highway friendly.
Thanks, I prefer city than highway, as I will take my car on the long runs. [clap]

Top Bottom