Bangalore To Udupi Best route

Thread Starter #1
Hi

I am planning a trip on first week of may from bangalore to udupi. I have done some research and the best route I got is Bangalore-nelamangala-hassan-chikmagalur-belur-karkala-udupi.

I dont want to go through mangalore(read throudh shirdi ghats). Is there any better route other then I mentioned. How are the road conditions.

@mods : please move it to proper places if I have posted it wrongly otherwise.

Hi

I am planning a trip on first week of may from bangalore to udupi. I have done some research and the best route I got is Bangalore-nelamangala-hassan-chikmagalur-belur-karkala-udupi.

I dont want to go through mangalore(read throudh shirdi ghats). Is there any better route other then I mentioned. How are the road conditions.

@mods : please move it to proper places if I have posted it wrongly otherwise.
Hi krish welcome to TAI.

Yes its the normal route as usual to Mangalore-Udupi.

Alternative route is: Bangalore- Hassan - Belur- Mudigere-( Gendehally- Belur Road) -Charmadi -Belthangady-Moodabidri-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi .

And you can enjoy scenic beauty of Charmadi ghats.

Instead of boring Shiradi ghats that is being repaired always.

This route is said to be best with little traffic.

But the roads are narrow & scenic.

So how are you commuting.

This seems to be best for Low GC cars, though it may take a few more hours.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Let me tell you the situation. We are planning 9 people to visit udupi during first week of May. Including two kids below one year(4 mnths and 9 mnths).

As this is the frist time I am venturing to this route all of yours comments are valuable. If shirdi Ghat is in good shape we will probably take that route.

Hi, So finally which route did you take? planning to in Aug 2nd week, which one to take.
Safe, scenic and traffic free, going with my family (5 year old kid)

Hi, So finally which route did you take? planning to in Aug 2nd week, which one to take.
Safe, scenic and traffic free, going with my family (5 year old kid)
Hi buddy my self did Mangalore-Udupi twice.
The roads were nice till 4 th July 11.
But my 2nd visit to Mangalore again was bad, as roads were damaged by the gas tankers plying on that stretch.
The stretch of Shiradi ghat has gone beyond recognition.
Check the latest condition of this stretch as on 24 July 11.
The starting of Shiradi Ghat is fine, but the stretch in the middle has gone bad.

Mangalore-Udupi is fine though road construction is going on, so lots of turns and deviations are there.
The main entrance of Udupi is closed due to road construction you will have to take detour to small road before reaching Udupi city.

Even heard from my cousin that stretch of Bangalore-Srirangapattanam-Eliva route-Hunsur-Virajpet - Madikeri stretch is Superb.
But from Madikeri- Sampaji ghat is bad upto Sullia and Puttur.

Then from B.C.Road you can take the flyover route, then to mangalore takes hardly 30 mins.
Then follow Surathkal route- Manipal-Brahmavar-Udupi route.

Which car are you commuting ?

Shiradi Ghat stretch
DSC03973.JPG

DSC03975.JPG

DSC04058.JPG

DSC04066.JPG

DSC04082.JPG

DSC04081.JPG

Hi, I have Santro Xing.
From many forums and other writeups i found this route is most scenic, safest, best for cars..

Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Ujire - Belthangadi - Guruvainkere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.

Any comments.. ?

thanks

Hi, I have Santro Xing.
From many forums and other writeups i found this route is most scenic, safest, best for cars..

Bangalore - Magadi - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Ujire - Belthangadi - Guruvainkere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Manipal - Udupi.

Any comments.. ?

thanks
Oh god why do you want to take a long detour, this would be a long route.
I usually follow, during my last 2 visits PES College(Nice Road)-upto Nelamangala in 25 mins- then toll road(15 Rs) expressway Nelamangala- then left turn to C.R.Patna- Hassan-Sakleshpur-Nelyadi-Uppinangadi-B.C.Road-Mangalore.

If by any way you are passing by Moodbidri- Karkala route, do visit 1000 Pillars Jain Temple.

With the route you have mentioned you may not get stop for food.
But with Hassan route you can stop at C.R. Patna Kamath Upachar.

Belthangady - Karkala- roads are narrow and may take more time.

Last edited:
Hi, my first post to the elite members of this forum.

Planning a weekend trip (Sept 9-11) to Kollur via Chikmagalur. Return will be Kollur-Mangalore-Bangalore. How are the roads from
1. Chikmagalur to Kollur and approx time
2. Mangalore- Bangalore (pls suggest best route)

Driving with our 15 month old son. I understand from various posts across Internet that there are bad patches. Travelling by my Jetta, the GC is less, so little skeptical.

Please help me out with the above 2 points.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Hi, my first post to the elite members of this forum.

Planning a weekend trip (Sept 9-11) to Kollur via Chikmagalur. Return will be Kollur-Mangalore-Bangalore. How are the roads from
1. Chikmagalur to Kollur and approx time
2. Mangalore- Bangalore (pls suggest best route)

Driving with our 15 month old son. I understand from various posts across Internet that there are bad patches. Travelling by my Jetta, the GC is less, so little skeptical.

Please help me out with the above 2 points.

Many thanks
I have never done CKM-Kollur route.
But from Mangalore to bangalore i have posted the pics of the recent road conditions.
In the previous posts.

Its better you can do the Shiradi route as its only a few kms of stretch had gone bad.
The rest of the stretch has nice roads with few potholes.
But be careful potholes appear suddenly on turnings and nice roads.
I did Bangalore-B.C.Road in 6 hours.

With one stop at CCD at C.R.Patna.

Mukeshs Actually Bangalore-Magadi-Kunigal Route is best as the roads are good in condition and very less of traffic. BTW Its good to take this route Bangalore-Mysore-Madikeri-Puttur-Mangalore-Udupi,because the traffic will be less and have seen Airavats coming via this route(Saw many of them carrying Bangalore-Madikeri-Mangalore) because the roads are good and suited for Lower GC vehicles like Volvos.

Best route from Hassan to Udupi

I am planning to travel with my family (includes a 11 month old baby also) to Udupi this weekend. Can anyone suggest the best route and also some places to visit nearby without varying more from the route from Hassan to Udupi? Since kids are in would be helpful if one can suggest some good eateries also on the way (VEG preferred)..

Top Bottom