Is it four lane highway all the way upto Coimbatore. I had heard from some collegues that there few contructions going on so one had to take some deviations after Salem. Could you pls highlight such points (if any) that one has to watch out for.
From Salem to Perundurai and then upto Chengapalli, its excellent 4 lane highway.
This will take you upto about 50 to 60 km away from Coimbatore.
One year ago 4 lane construction was going on between Chengapalli and Coimbatore. Its almost complete now.
If you have any doubt, then take a diversion
a) At Chengapalli - Turn left and take Uthukuli road and then ask for Tirupur. From Tirupur, go via Palladam to Coimbatore.
b) At Avinashi - Turn right and take Annur road and from Annur turn towards Coimbatore.
These deviations are not required since highway work is almost over now.
1. From Avinashi to Coimbatore road widening is happening. Some construction works are happening and there will be many deviations. It will take more time to cross this stretch. I suggest you to cross this during early morning hours.
2. Construction work is happening near Krishnagiri too.
3. If you are going to south part of Coimbatore, then take the bypass at Neelampur after Avinashi. It is a L&T bypass. It takes you to Karpagam college. From there if you take a right you will reah Eachanari and Kurichi, Ukkadam.
4. You can take the above bypass and continue straight bypassing Coimbatore, if you decide to go Palakad directly.
Just an update, the diversions are worst on many stretches.
1. Between Hosur and Krishnagiri, road widening is happening and there are few diversions. At some places, no signs of diversions warnings. Be aware will driving early hours or late night. Some place lanes are not marked though road widening has done already.
2. From Perunthurai till Coimbatore. There were many diversion and vehicles runs in all directions on both lanes. Be careful, somewhere the roads are not laid properly, there is a hump like structures at many places which are not marked, but you can see a 30KMPH warning boards.
3. I get confused, because I was driving in a wrong lane (opposite direction - Right hand side of road) for a long distance because of diversions boards. And few vehicles were driven on left lane too. Was bit confusing.
4. There are few places where road ends, you need to take a U turn and drive on opposite side!
Please avoid driving fast. Try to drive in daytime, if you are not aware of the rooad conditions here.