Bangalore To Goa Road Trip

Indian,

Thanks for the informative thread.. [clap]
Can also tell me which party of Goa do I need to stay so that most of the places/beaches are close by??
Also is finding a parking for a car in Goa difficult during this season??
Do you have any update on the number of toll gates from Bangalore to Goa??

Thanks in advance..
Generally south goa is the part where you see beaches which are not filled with tourists. So generally if you are with family and kids and want to spend more time in the water that is better. But if you want more action and people on the beach then beaches in north close to Panjim are better. Hope someone from Goa may correct me. I stayed in Madgaon, and planned my trip initiated from there. Parking spot should not be an issue. Sorry no idea about the toll gates from Bangalore.
HTH

This time I would be going with friends.. So I would prefer staying somewhere in the north Goa..
Do you remember of any good stays/hotels from your last visit?

Fyzy

Hi there,

We are also planning to leave on 3rd for Goa. I really appreciate the information I got from this forum. This would be our first road trip to Goa from Bangalore.

We are planning to leave on 3rd evening, could you guys pls suggest a decent place for night halt, at a stretch of 5-6 hrs from Bangalore.
We have kids and elderly people traveling with us. Any piece of information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

We are also planning to leave on 3rd for Goa. I really appreciate the information I got from this forum. This would be our first road trip to Goa from Bangalore.

We are planning to leave on 3rd evening, could you guys pls suggest a decent place for night halt, at a stretch of 5-6 hrs from Bangalore.
We have kids and elderly people traveling with us. Any piece of information would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Gunjan,

If you are planning to take the Bangalore-Shimoga-Karwar-Goa route then you can stop over at Shimoga which you would reach in 5 to 5 an half hours max..

In Shimoga, you can find an accommodation with out any hassle..

I too am leaving for Goa on 3rd night and planning on taking it to Goa in one shot, of-course with a few small breaks..

I am taking the following route, only for the reason that I can drive so close to the sea.. [clap]

Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Honavar-Karwar-Goa

Do let me know if you need more information..

Cheers.. [:D]

Best of luck to all for the Goa trip.

I would suggest to try out south Goa also. It is not that commercialize as north Goa. There you can enjoy the sea, sand and tonic wate[glasses]r in a relax way.

I just loved the Palolem beach.

Guys i am back from Goa.

This time drove up to Vasco and other beaches.

Route followed as Usual via Tumkur- Chitradurga-Davangere Bypass-Hubli-Yellapur-Kirwathi- Kalaghatgi-Ankola-Karwar-Ponda.

Route till Chitragdurga has lots of deviations, after that you can do the first 440 kms to Hubli 6.3 hours.

Hubli to yellapur all the way upto Karwar-Goa is in excellent conditon.

This time visited Bagmallo beach @ Vasco, missed the Naval museum at Vasco as its closed on Mondays.

Then Anjuna and Vagator beach along with Palmolem beaches.

Had a good one hour ride on cruise.

Hello everybody,

I am back from my recent road trip to Goa..
I will write a detailed TL on the trip shortly..

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and help put forward for the same.. [clap]

Hello everybody,

I am back from my recent road trip to Goa..
I will write a detailed TL on the trip shortly..

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions and help put forward for the same..
Road Trip to Goa ? Cool your on a vaccation i guess [:)]

Waiting for the travelogue !

Bangalore to Goa

Hello TAI'ians,

It is that time of the year, again, for a family outing. Usually I take the family out to a hill station during summer holidays, but to break the trend, we are headed to a beach destination. Goa is the popular choice, though we discussed about Kerala. We are a laid back family, not much in to sight seeing. Drink (self), Eat, Sleep - prefix 'lot', lots of time. Goa seems ideal.

Considered the destination to be 'general election' chaos free too. Hence picked the dates 26th April to 1st week of May. The long weekend of 1st May means I have to take just 3 days leave.

Anyway, on to the topic - What is the best route to take from Bangalore to North Goa? (Candolim). Of course, I spent couple of hours searching for the best possible route and there seems to few options. Some blog threads are months old, if not years, hence checking real time with you.

Here is what I found - in the order of my choice (distance per Google maps) -
1. Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Kalghatgi - Yellapur - Ankola - Karwar - Vasco. 650KM. Long route. Seems the most popular though.
2. Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad - Mollem - Vasco. 610KM. Shorter route.
3. Bangalore - Tumkur - Tiptur - Shimoga - Sagara - Honnavar - Ankola - Karwar - Vasco. 650KM. Long route?
4. Bangalore - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagere - Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Vasco? Distance?

I am not even thinking about going via Mangalore.

Need suggestion based on your experience - self or 'heard from'...

I prefer a) good road and b) double road (safety). Even if it is little longer.

Well, decided to go through Belgaum-Chrola ghat because my destination is in North Goa. Spoke to the resort guys and they advised the same; I believe the Chorla ghat has been asphalted very recently. Shall post pictures upon my return.

Well, decided to go through Belgaum-Chrola ghat because my destination is in North Goa. Spoke to the resort guys and they advised the same; I believe the Chorla ghat has been asphalted very recently. Shall post pictures upon my return.

Best of luck for the journey [cheers] .Do post your travelogue.

Back from the trip. What a drive it was! [:D]

Took the Belgaum~Chorla route, as planned. Started from home at 4.30AM. Thankfully the railway level crossing near Jalahalli/BEL circle was not closed. Kids were asleep in the car hence did not want to rock the car with sudden moves hence drove slowly for first couple of hours; also, the early morning sleep and dawn light made sense for a moderate speed. But once I touched Tumkur the new layer of asphalt all the way up to Chitradurga made the drive absolutely smooth. The only hitch was no lane paintings, though the edge of the road was painted. It was a 6 lane by measure btw, all the way up to Chitradurga.

Reached Rannebennur Kamath around 8.30. After 45 minute breakfast break, and kids awake, increased the speed to 100~120 average. The road turned narrow after Hubli until almost Dharwad. Overtaking was mad. The local drivers just bully you – overtaking not only from right side but from left side as well. The shoulder on the left side is hardly few feet’s but even small cars such as Alto tried to bully overtaking from the left. After a whilst I was so annoyed I had to prove my road presence by not letting them overtake me from left side. I would have messed with them – car to car – if not my family in the car 

Anyway, once we touched Dharwad, the road till Belgaum was ultimate! 6 lane, mix of asphalt and cement road (hence little noisy), beyond Belgaum. I went 25KM beyond Belgaum hoping to find some direction signboard directing to Jambotti / Goa, but none. To mislead me, there was a car with GA (Goa) registration ahead of me and I presumed the guy is anyway headed to Goa so I could follow him. Such an innocent thought [;)] Finally I gave in and stopped the vehicle seeking direction. Had to take an U turn to connect to the city road which leads to Jambotti / Chorla; the odo indicated I wasted nearly 50KM (and ~40 minutes) due to lack of attention.

The Belgaum city traffic was not as bad as I expected. Probably that’s what Bangalore traffic does to you. Very soon we were on to Chorla ghat road. The road via Jambotti, Chorla was excellent. See pictures – the newly laid road, well-marked lanes, made the drive such a pleasure. Good stretch of this ghat is pretty flat with very few hair-pin-bend. I was driving at 40~60 KM speed. Did not even use the horn much (quite a few ‘no honking’ signboard). Many small cars enroute overtook me easily, but my ego did not bother me – indicated them my hand sign to overtake me, whilst I enjoyed the greenery.

Stopped for few minutes for a photo opportunity. The rest of the photos was taken from the car whilst driving (my son) or by me by stopping the car. Hope you like it.

Dramatically, once we crossed Karnataka border, the road turned rough. Few pot holes but negotiable, many rough patches. Probably after few hours on NH and good part of Chorla ghat in Karnataka section, I felt so. The road turned good after Sanquelim, though it was narrow. After Ssanquelim, took Mapusa road, Calangute, Candolim before our final destination at Saipem (wildflower resort), at around 2.45 PM.

Though roads are narrow in Goa, the drivers are disciplined. Especially the Goa registered vehicles. Probably the locals understand the importance of tourism and the moolah tourists bring to the local economy, there by their lives. Whether it is a 2 wheeler, car or even a bus, were very courteous and applied common sense in stopping/parking/overtaking on the road. I took a wrong turn and had to reverse my vehicle in Panaji; the guys behind patiently waited without honking. Mighty impressed with our brotherin Goans. [clap]

In total, I covered 700KM in 10 hours drive time, and overall 11.5 hours (fuel pit stop, a quick coffee break, level crossing at Belgaum). If not for the Belgaum goof up, probably I would have taken lot less.

On return journey, spent some time doing better homework to avoid any miss. Started at 10AM; took the Edpally-Panvel highway number 17 instead of driving thru Mapusa town. Saved some time and distance for sure. Kids were asleep again after heavy breakfast hence had to drive the Chorla ghat section slowly. Stopped for few seconds to capture the Bison by road side  Let every car overtake me coz I was driving only at 40. Kids coincidentally woke up once I crossed the ghat section and I could step on the gas pedal after that.

Stopped at Kamath, between Belgaum~Dharwad (Mummigatti), for a 45 minute lunch break. Was driving at good speed after that – 100~120 and 140 at times. Wanted to cover maximum distance whilst the good road and lean traffic lasted, and reach Bangalore by dusk. Enjoyed heavy rain at couple of places (passing clouds), and had to slow down a bit; but resumed speed once the road was found to be dry. The Tumkur city traffic slowed us down. Took a 15 minute coffee break at a dhaba. The erratic driving started as soon as I touched Tumkur. I had no choice but to slow down after that, all the way up to home. Came via Yashwanthpur to avoid level crossing, ring road, and home.

Was worried about niggles throughout but faced none. The beep sound and the smoke from AC vent caused me some concern (read my car ownership review http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...med-xuv5oo-buying-ownership-experience-6.html). But smooth all the way. Another feather in XUVs cap!

Summary: Distance ~1390KM. Average time to drive 9 hours each direction. Mileage 13.8KM per infotainment.

Top Bottom