Bangalore To Goa Road Trip

Thread Starter #1
31st March, 2012. The day I took delivery of my Manza. Since then I am looking for reasons to go for a drive. I went to Coorg, Mysore, Nandi hill. Also just drives on Mysore road. [:)]
Luckily I won a 2 nights stay at a resort in Goa (Near Candolim beach). So I am planning to drive to Goa early next month. I will be solo driver, with my wife and kid. Though I have earlier done long solo drives, I have never been to this part of India earlier. I need your help in following:
  1. the best route which should be followed for up and down journey. I live near hebbal flyover.
  2. Is it advisable to buy a gps device, ie map my India, satnav, etc?
  3. Any other precaution for route and for Goa?
  4. One more thing, my mother is totally against me driving to Goa. How come I drive to Goa, without making her upset??

Thread Starter #3
Re: Bangalore to Goa

Thanks a lot mukesh. Is idea of getting a GPS device worth it?
Nice travelogue by you..

Best Route For Bangalore To Panaji

Hi members

Can anyone suggest which route is good to Goa from Bangalore? I am planing for a four days trip by road in the first week of June. MMI and Google show the route via sagar and karwar. How is the route via Hubli? Which is better in terms of road conditions

Thanks[cheers]

Road Trip To GOA!!!

Hi All,

I am planning on taking up a road trip to GOA along with a bunch of friends[:)]

We are planning to leave from Bangalore on 3rd of Jan 2013 and reach Goa by 4th Jan 2013.

I understand that there are 2 routes from Bangalore to Goa, 1. Bangalore-Hubli-Goa and 2. Bangalore-Shivvamoga-Goa.

What I want to know from you experts is the following.
1. Which route is best when it comes to road conditions and scenic views?
2. If there are enough fuel stations on both routes?
3. What are the places which can be seen while going to or coming back from Goa?
4. Is there another route which I may be unaware of?

I would also appreciate if I can be provided with the number of toll gates I may encouter on the way.

Any other information about this is most welcome!!

Looking forward for your responses [glasses]

Thanks one and all.

@ Fyzy09

I would vouch for Bangalore-Hubli-Goa route.
Till Hubli road will be excellent 4 way lane. No issue at all. Easily you can zoom above 100. After Hubli, it will 2 way lane but road will be very nice.
After Hubli road will become very scenic since you will be passing through jungle and ghat section.

There is enough fuel station en-route. Regarding toll gate count I do not remember exactly but money wise it will be nearly 500+.

Things to know about Goa,
* Roads are narrow and winding so need to be extra cautious while driving
* Road indicators are there everywhere but I also advice to have a GPS if possible. You can quickly check for restaurant or a attraction near by you. GPS allows you to explore better as you don't have memorize the road while heading back. Have atleast google maps availble on your phone.
* There is a beautiful water fall called 'Dood Sagar' between Karnataka and Goa border Dudhsagar Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But I feel that there is no drive-able road to reach here.
* Beware of the motor cyclists as they drive in the middle of the road and rarely give you a way(Normally other parts of the country two Wheeler ride on the extreme left, more like US or Canada [surprise])

I did a road trip couple of years back and it was amazing. This time of the year is the best at Goa.

Finally enjoy the trip and have a safe trip [:)]

Dudhsagar falls can be reached by taking a train (mainly good train [:)]) from londa and requesting driver to stop near the falls

Last edited:
@ Fyzy09

I would vouch for Bangalore-Hubli-Goa route.
Till Hubli road will be excellent 4 way lane. No issue at all. Easily you can zoom above 100. After Hubli, it will 2 way lane but road will be very nice.
After Hubli road will become very scenic since you will be passing through jungle and ghat section.

There is enough fuel station en-route. Regarding toll gate count I do not remember exactly but money wise it will be nearly 500+.
@ amit1km

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

I wanted to visit Jog falls for a long time, so can I take the Goa-Shivvmoga-Bangalore while the way back??

And thanks about the toll information [clap]

Thread Starter #12
Yes you can take Shivamoga route. The road has recently been repaired. Though the road is narrower, there is hardly any traffic. And the route is quite scenic.

Toll Gates Info

Hi People,

I was wondering if somebody could please provide me details of number of toll gates en-route to Goa from Bangalore??

Last edited by a moderator:
Things to know about Goa,
* Roads are narrow and winding so need to be extra cautious while driving
* Road indicators are there everywhere but I also advice to have a GPS if possible. You can quickly check for restaurant or a attraction near by you. GPS allows you to explore better as you don't have memorize the road while heading back. Have atleast google maps availble on your phone.
* There is a beautiful water fall called 'Dood Sagar' between Karnataka and Goa border Dudhsagar Falls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But I feel that there is no drive-able road to reach here.
* Beware of the motor cyclists as they drive in the middle of the road and rarely give you a way(Normally other parts of the country two Wheeler ride on the extreme left, more like US or Canada [surprise])

I did a road trip couple of years back and it was amazing. This time of the year is the best at Goa.

Finally enjoy the trip and have a safe trip [:)]
Indian,

Thanks for the informative thread.. [clap]
Can also tell me which party of Goa do I need to stay so that most of the places/beaches are close by??
Also is finding a parking for a car in Goa difficult during this season??
Do you have any update on the number of toll gates from Bangalore to Goa??

Thanks in advance..

Top Bottom