Bangalore-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Mangalore-Road Condition

Thread Starter #1
Did any one travel thru the below roads recently ? Any idea how it is on ghat sections?

1. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur - BC Road - Manalore- Kasaragod
2. Bangalore - Hassan - Sakleshpur -Gundya - Subramanya - Jalsoor (sullya)-Kasaragod
3. Bangalore - Mandya -Srirangapatna -Hunsur - Kushalnagar -Madikeri - Sulya- Jalsoor - Kasaragod.

Heard that they were doing repairs on Sullya roads few months. So, wondering whether that is completed.

I have not traveled beyond Hassan & Kushal Nagar on both ways in CAR. This would be my first time thru this road.

If anyone has some information, please share it. Planning to start on 11th Morning.

Thanks,
appus

Hi appus i have done route 1 and 3, last month.

Route 1 is in good condition, i covered Bangalore-BC Road in 5 and half hours.

I took the PESIT-Nayandahalli Flyover- Goreguntepalya Junction (Left near Non Functional Reliance Bunk)- Left towards elevated Nelamangala Flyover- C.R.Patna-Hassan-Sakleshpur-Gundya-Kalladka-B.C.Road-Pump well Circle-Left(Kasargod).

BC Road to Kasargod takes 45 minutes.

We had been to Manjeshwar, the route leading to Kasargod is patchy, until you reach Ullal,
And road improves there after.

Shiradi ghat can be covered in 35 minutes.

Route condition check it here, where i have already posted the updates: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151409947849565&type=1

Condition of Route 3:
The route till madikeri is in excellent condition, but after Sampaje the stretch is all muddy.
With the road widening work in full swing.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151409879909565&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151409911154565&type=1

I would highly recommend you Route 1 to and fro.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Mukesh,
Even I felt that road to be the best option as I am doing for first time. Heard that the other roads should be finished repair by now. Cousin may come on monday through that. If so, will update.

Thanks again,
appus

Thread Starter #4
Is that car holder for phone/gps from SlipGrip ? What is the size of the device/phone ? Which holder is that ? Looks sturdy compared to ebay ones !

I should have asked in last post than asking in a different post :sorry:

mukeshus, as usual, good detailed route info [thumbsup]

appus, yes better to avoid sulya stretch. In case you are driving through shiradi ghat for the first time, advice you to drive with little care. At times bus and lorry traffic will be a thing to watch out for.

Happy & safe journey [drive]

Thread Starter #6
. In case you are driving through shiradi ghat for the first time, advice you to drive with little care. At times bus and lorry traffic will be a thing to watch out for.

Thanks for your tip.
Been to Virajpet Ghat section to Iritty (Kerala) - It was fun to ride.
And to Ooty .(not 36 hair pin route). Bit narrow at places , still was okay.
I normally drive slow . Always allow others to pass if they are in a hurry [:)]

Thank You again.

Is that car holder for phone/gps from SlipGrip ? What is the size of the device/phone ? Which holder is that ? Looks sturdy compared to ebay ones !

I should have asked in last post than asking in a different post :sorry:
It's a Map My India Vx 140s GPS. 10.9 cm is the screen size.

mukeshus, as usual, good detailed route info.

appus, yes better to avoid sulya stretch. In case you are driving through shiradi ghat for the first time, advice you to drive with little care. At times bus and lorry traffic will be a thing to watch out for.

Thanks car freak, if you remember we were on the same stretch, the other day.

Last edited:
@appus,

I'd been to Bangalore and back. End March. The Bangalore-Mangalore via Sakleshpur/BCRoad is in good condition.

NOTE: Good condition = No craters. All filled up. A lot of undulations though (due to the fillers).

Thread Starter #9
Thank You Mukesh and Navnit for the updates.

@mukesh,
How come BC road to Kasaragod in 45 Minutes. ?
Is there a shortcut inside? Pumpwell to Kasaragod is 50Km takes almost 1 hr. BC Road to pumpwell also takes around 30-45 Minutes?

One more question i have is - If we have to go to Dharmasthala, need to take right from Nellyadi ? How is the road condition ? In maps, it shows 21 km from Nelyadi. I think we can visit there also on the way as it is more than 10 years i visited Dharmasthala

Last edited:
Thank You Mukesh and Navnit for the updates.

@mukesh,
How come BC road to Kasaragod in 45 Minutes. ?
Is there a shortcut inside? Pumpwell to Kasaragod is 50Km takes almost 1 hr. BC Road to pumpwell also takes around 30-45 Minutes?

One more question i have is - If we have to go to Dharmasthala, need to take right from Nellyadi ? How is the road condition ? In maps, it shows 21 km from Nelyadi. I think we can visit there also on the way as it is more than 10 years i visited Dharmasthala
Err !!! It was Manjeshwar.

Appus you need not go till Nelyady, just after Gundya proceed straight after the check post. When you proceed on the same direction you will have to see for a right turn towards Dharmastala after 15 kms from Gundya, and proceed through the forest area.
Vehicles are very less on this stretch, and roads are good too.
Again at the end you have to take right.

Thread Starter #11
Thank You again :)
Did you travel thru Dharmasthala- Ujjire - Belthangady - BC road ? It shows 18KM less than the main road. Is this road better? Is it narrow or busy road? Lots of questions [;)] ! Should i come back to Nelaydi and proceed?

Dharmasthala, would darshan take long? I do not remember the time we were on queue. I remember visiting the museum and Nehru's car etc. Considering the day 'Ugadi' 11th April, may take more time for Darshan? Is there any dress code? I remember some temple in Karnataka, i had to wear Dhoti to enter inside. Do not remember which temple was that.

Sorry for the heap of questions. If you guys know about these, please help !

Appreciate your help
Thanks
appus

Did you travel thru Dharmasthala- Ujjire - Belthangady - BC road ? It shows 18KM less than the main road. Is this road better? Is it narrow or busy road? Lots of questions [;)] ! Should i come back to Nelaydi and proceed?

Dharmasthala, would darshan take long? I do not remember the time we were on queue. I remember visiting the museum and Nehru's car etc. Considering the day 'Ugadi' 11th April, may take more time for Darshan? Is there any dress code? I remember some temple in Karnataka, i had to wear Dhoti to enter inside. Do not remember which temple was that.

Sorry for the heap of questions. If you guys know about these, please help !

Appreciate your help
Thanks
appus
Hi Appus the route via Belthangady had bad roads that was in 2012 February.
But after that i haven't done that route.

I usually do the route via Bantwal(My Native)-Panekal-Vogga-Punjalkatte-Belthangady-Dharmastala.

So from Dharmasthala you follow the route in reverse order.

But yes you will reach B.C.Road sooner than the Nellyady route.

This route is not narrow but has lots of curves and buses ply on this route.

I hope roads might have improved on this stretch, as i could see the BC Road bypass was being repaired.

Yes in Dharmastala you should not wear 3/4th type.

You can wear pants, however before entering temple you have to remove shirt, and have a darshan.

We usually have a direct darshan as my uncle knows the office people at Dharmasthala.

Our darshan gets completed in 20 minutes followed by lunch.

appus, Dharmasthala rush depends on the day you visit. Any holiday or the auspicious day calls for huge lines everywhere. Specifically in this hot weather its very difficult. I usually try to visit inside the temple only in the evenings and I would recommend you stay overnight if that is possible on your schedule. Even the temple food is not possible to have with out going through all the pushing etc. So now a days we eat at the near by hotels. If staying check up the place called 'Nethravathi' and just in front of it there is a nice food place. Very nice food available there along with juice etc.

Regarding the dress code, no shorts! I was shocked when they stopped my son last time. But then we some how sneaked through. Regular trousers allowed but you have to remove your shirts(male [lol]) while entering inside.

Did my pilgrimage there about 2 months back.

Hi Appus the route via Belthangady had bad roads that was in 2012 February.

Yes in Dharmastala you should not wear 3/4th type.

You can wear pants, however before entering temple you have to remove shirt, and have a darshan.

We usually have a direct darshan as my uncle knows the office people at Dharmasthala.

Our darshan gets completed in 20 minutes followed by lunch.
Mukesh I have experienced once with my cousin but they stopped us in the middle of the queue and we again started from the last [frustration]

Anyways it is good that they are following the religious customs in the temple.

You must be having nice influence over there,even if i go with my dad i don't have to wait for such long queues he knows some people over there since he travels frequently.

How is the charmadi ghat route condition now, still is it full of dusts and crazy potholes.

Thread Starter #15
Thanks Indian, Mukesh and Manjoo for your inputs.

Hmm. I do not have any influence. [cry] . Now, other than my wife, her cousin sister also joining the trip. Now, have to think about her's liking/disliking also ! It is nice to have people traveling together. At times, you end up just driving than enjoying the journey.

Was thinking of going early morning and reaching there at evening after seeing places. I even thought of visiting the Pilikula Nisarga Dhama (Our many memories attached to that place [glasses]).

Thanks again,
appus

Top Bottom