Ayodhya Pahar in West Bengal

Thread Starter #1
Friends,
Went to Ayodhya Pahar, which is located in Purulia district of West Bengal. Barely three hundred KM from my home in Calcutta, I had heard about this place since long. But was afraid to visit this place earlier, as this place was infamous for different extremist groups. Now all these menaces are gone and the area is by and large peaceful.
Started from home shortly before four. This place is known as Shaktigarh, which is famous for many sweetmeat shops. Did not stop there, as it was not even five in the morning.
DSC_0007.JPG

The road goes through Asansol and a place called Niyamatpur. To reach Niyamatpur I chose the underpass. Above is the railway track through which Calcutta-New Delhi Rajdhani expresses pass.
DSC_0019.JPG

This is the bridge on river Damodar. This side is Bardhaman district, while the other side is in Purulia district of West Bengal.
DSC_0021.JPG

Good road towards Purulia. The road was really good all the way.
DSC_0026.JPG

Crossing Purulia town I took a turn on this place. It is called Tamna More.
DSC_0031.JPG

Good road towards the jungle and the hill.
DSC_0034.JPG

Road getting repaired. How do I go?
DSC_0035.JPG

Ayodhya Pahar from a distance.
DSC_0040.JPG

Jungle starts on the Pahar (hill).
DSC_0044.JPG

Hilly road.
DSC_0050.JPG

The valley below.
DSC_0051.JPG

My trusted ride. Twelve years, 1,80,000+ KMs and still responds great.
DSC_0049.JPG

Took shelter in the government guest house. Just for twelve hundred rupees (tax included) I was given an AC room which surely measured over 600 square feet. The room even had a quite large bathroom complete with bathtub and geyser. The only problem was that there was a long duration power cut during the day and generators were not run during daytime.

After taking some rest, in the afternoon I went to visit the neighborhood. Some pictures. Some random pictures.
DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

DSC_0084.JPG

DSC_0099.JPG

Hope you like the pictures. I shall like to show you some more pictures of this place.
Thanks and regards,
Rahul

Thread Starter #4
Ayodhya pahar is a place close to Bengal-Jharkhand border. If you can spare some time, a visit to the nearby Jonha and Sita waterfalls is suggested. I even thought of visiting Hundru waterfalls but got exhausted after visiting these two. Jonha alone requires you to climb over five hundred stairs (while returning back). My wife asked me to return and I gladly obliged. Here is a picture of Jonha falls. Hope you will like it.
Untitled.jpg

Regards,
Rahul

Thread Starter #6
Rahul pictures and details of your shelter here is required
I am afraid that there is possibly only one decent accommodation till now in the vicinity of the Ayodhya hills. It is run by West Bengal Comprehensive Area Development Corporation (Phone- 22377041/43). Large sized AC rooms, much cheaper than usual, though somewhat untidy. And ACs do not work during power cuts, which is very frequent during the daytime hours. For food the dishes are only basic and homely, though are really inexpensive. The most difficult thing is that the rooms can not be booked online. You have to visit them at their office located in Wellington Square, either in person or through your representative. For address details feel free to contact me at this forum or call me up.

Now here is a picture of Murugma lake, located barely fifteen KMs away from where I stayed. Shall be glad if you like the picture.
Untitled.jpg

Rahul.

Thread Starter #8
Rahul da, I spot your car yesterday and it is now one of my Uploaded Video at Youtube; Your Car enter in this video 5:53 and stay till the end...You can see the number plate if you stream the video 1080p at 6:26 position.
Thanks a lot. I was returning from the first overnight meet of this forum, held at Mandarmani. Please read about it here. Just inquisitive, how did you spot and recognise me? Also kindly excuse me because I did not spot you.

A nice adventurous trip. If could go with you. If you have any plan to visit Santiniketan please tell me. Santiniketan Tourist Lodge of WB Tourism is a nice place to stay.

I am planning to visit Ayodhya Pahar with Jhaldah & other tourist spot in November 9-14 2016. Any place to stay in Jhaldah other than the Hill View Resort?
How Safe is Ayodhya Pahar now a days with Khariberia dam Murguma lake?

Thread Starter #11
I am planning to visit Ayodhya Pahar with Jhaldah & other tourist spot in November 9-14 2016. Any place to stay in Jhaldah other than the Hill View Resort?
IMO the hotel "Hill View Resort" is actually a bit overpriced. I had make two trips to Purulia in last four months. On my second trip I opted to stay in Purulia town. When you have decided to stay for an extended period, I suggest that you also better do the same.

How Safe is Ayodhya Pahar now a days with Khariberia dam Murguma lake?
I guess it is absolutely safe. But in case you have any apprehension about safety, it would be better to leave these areas shortly after evening sets in.

P.S.- I have come to know that a new hotel has come up in front of Khoirabera lake. Though I have not stayed there myself (that time it was under construction), you may have a look at their facilities and may consider staying there for a couple of days, if you find it satisfactory. Please read this.

Dear Rahul Sir,
Planned to visit Ajodhya hill for two nights with family in October and booked W.B. Govt. Youth Hostel. Is it safe now to visit Ajodhya hill and stay at Youth Hostel [confused]? Any suggestion please.

Thread Starter #14
Dear Rahul, Planned to visit Ajodhya hill for two nights with family in October and booked W.B. Govt. Youth Hostel. Is it safe now to visit Ajodhya hill and stay at Youth Hostel [confused]? Any suggestion please.
I guess this place is absolutely safe, with a small battalion of armed men in uniform posted right behind the building in the same complex.

Top Bottom