Automotive Media Awards - 2009

Thread Starter #1
-Zig wheels Car & Bike Awards 2009-

Entry-level minicar of the year - Tata Nano
Enough has been said about the Tata's tiny twister - first in the press by rivals while it was under development, and then by the world media which stared in awe and disbelief as the car rolled out in its production form. The Nano of course could have easily been the Car of 2008 had it not run into messy political tussles, but the small soldier had enough steam in its idea to carry on even with major setback.
Still far from realising its complete potential of turning into a nation-mover, the Nano still has all the makings of a great car. But apart from being a craftily engineered machine, it is also something that an entire nation is looking forward to.

Premium hatchback of the year - Fiat Grande Punto (Petrol and Diesel)
The gorgeous Italian beauty set the hatch space on fire with its fabulous handling dynamics and great all-round practicality. The engine options were well spread-out too, making this a hatch to keep everyone happy.

Entry-level sedan of the year - Tata Indigo Manza
Arguably the most advanced car Tata Motors has made to date, the Manza came at a typically potent price point offering more than any of its competitors in terms of real world practicality.

Mid-size sedan of the year - Chevrolet Cruze
The new big Chevy came in late in the year, but offered what none of its competitors ever did. A competent diesel, great interiors, a good price point and that street presence made this one our choice.

Source & more details - zigwheels

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
Continued...

Executive Sedan of the Year - Skoda Superb
The original Superb, though a brilliant car, failed to make its mark in the executive car segment in India. This new one however, promises to do much, much better. Gone are the pudgy, rounded looks of the old car, replaced by modern, European sensibilities and styling. Longer than a Mercedes-Benz E-Class, the new Skoda Superb offers interior space comparable to the limousine sized S-Class, and that too at a fraction of the cost. The boot space is by far the best we've seen on any car we've recently tested and the ingenious double-opening mechanism means that it can even fit in a baby grand piano. The new Superb also comes with a choice of brilliant engines that include the 1.8 TFSI petrol, the 2.0-litre TDI diesel and the mental 3.6 V6 FSI petrol that comes coupled with a permanent 4-wheel drive system. The only thing it lacks though is the badge value of its rivals.

Luxury prestige sedan of the year - Mercedes-Benz E-Class
The new Merc made a big move from being a magic-carpet ride for the opulent, only to turn into a hardcore driver's car made to thrill. Couple that with the value of the Three-Pointed Star, and you have a winner.

MPV of the year - Mahindra Xylo
A sign of a car maker coming of age, the Xylo came with the butch looks of a Mahindra, and a goody bag full of creature comforts on the inside. Priced aggressively, there was little chance left for rivals.

SUV of the year - Toyota Fortuner
Eagerly awaited, fabulously priced and booked to the hilt, there were few who could contest the Fortuner for this award. Great all-round abilities, aggressive looks and superior practicality sealed the case.

Well All the cars & the awards given are really perfect to my eyes!

Never seen this much perfect ever.

Yes I have read it and even before reading it I have test driven it myself for my client.Its a great car but I had doubts for TATA A.S.S..But now I am sure its good.I have got a positive feedback from my client for the TATA A.S.S.

Thread Starter #13
Bike awards!!

Where are the bike awards????
Here you go -

CBU Superbike of the Year - Yamaha VMAX
This award was somewhat of a tough choice. First we had the Honda CB1000R, with its drop dead gorgeous looks and supreme road manners - a bike which we all unanimously love. Then we had its race-replica sibling, the sublime Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade designed to decimate race tracks around the world. But the bike that really stole our hearts was the Yamaha VMAX - the veritable 'muscle bike' with a gigantic 1.7-litre V4 engine producing over 200PS of power endowing it with acceleration like the Bullet train. Sure, it doesn't have even a fraction of the practicality of the CB, and around a track, the 'Blade would leave it for dead. But when it comes to sheer, spine-tingling excitement, the VMAX is completely off the scale.

Bike of the Year 2009: Bajaj Pulsar 135 LS
The new Pulsar 135 LS throws light on the new generation of small capacity, practical yet fun-to-ride motorcycles, which are affordable without compromising on styling and design. Motorcycling is an engaging activity and it requires the rider to be involved with the bike all the time. The Pulsar 135's lightweight frame and revvy engine along with extremely well-drawn ergonomics meant that each of the jury members thoroughly enjoyed riding the smallest of the Pulsars around the tricky corners.

Thanks!!

As an avid biker, and an owner of a Pulsar, I do feel that there is a huge dilution in the brand image of the Pulsar with the launch of the 135 version. Performance and a decent mileage are a given with most sporty bikes in the market today, give or take a few 1/1000s of a second in the 0-60 timing, a few km in top speed and a few km in mileage.
Why does one buy the Pulsar today? It is not for the bang for buck ... the Pulsar, till now, was costly enough to put it out of the range of the casual biker. It is for the image it has ... worth the few extra rupees, so totally captured by Bajaj in its original ad ... which said 'Definitely Male" The bike was always, in any avatar ...150, 180, 200 or 220, stand-out not for just the styling, but because it was big.
Now we are talking about a "Baby Pulsar" that is male? Kind of sending mixed signals!!
The LS will sell well, that is a given since it is attractively priced, has bang for buck ... terrific performance ... it is light and agile, and is piggy back riding on the Pulsar name. But I doubt if any of the existing Pulsar owners will like terms like light or small associated with the Pulsar name.
There was a very quaint comment in one of the sites some time back ... "Bajaj still has the M80 engine ... coming up next ... Pulsar 80!!" If that is not the cry of an agonized Pulsar owner, I don't know what it is!!
Guys out there are expecting a 315 cc, Bajaj rearranged the digits!! [frustration]
It is kind of like having a brother who is 4 years younger to you. He would love to hang out with you and your friends, but all you can think of is, why did my parents not drown this pest when he was born!!

Great again!

My favourite manufacturer won the CBU award!!

But Pulsar LS was just launched last week. How come they decided it in very short period ?

Top Bottom