Automated Manual Transmission (AMT): Technical Know-How

Thread Starter #1
Hello TAI,
Like most of the indian familes including mine , All us has had atleast one manual or learnt Driving on a manual. Many new drivers or Car owners Wont even Know what AMT stands for and how different it is from AT . As The increasing traffic in India and the cost cutting included with AMT's they're becoming Famous really fast. So I'd like to know AMT car owners First hand reviews and Discussions related to it here . Ive driven Maruti's Amt quite a lot and some conventional AT's aswell , i do like how close it is to a conventional AT and some few things I noticed which made me really impressed , Those are
Automatically engaging the clutch when you're on a stand still and tapping the brake once makes the car move forward again.
Tapping the throttle down Shifts the gear which i did not expect
Manual override , which cvt's dont offer

I am not fussy about the jerkiness because its something one car ignore comparing the price and the comfort it gives over a manual car .

I'd like to hear more from other owners , specially from the hyundai stables which even includes the IMT

admins and mods please move the post to other category if i have posted it in the wrong place :)

I have been driving my BS4 2018 Nexon XZA+ AMT diesel since ~3 years, 32 k km including destinations in NE, Sach Pass and Ladakh without any issues. Only once in Aizawl, MZ while climbing a steep gradient, the AMT warning symbol appeared for a few minutes and disappeared on its own. I used the manual mode extensively on the hill sections of Himachal and Ladakh. I consider AMT a real boon in the cities. On the whole, I am enjoying AMT + turbo diesel combo. [clap][:D]

Thread Starter #3
I have been driving my BS4 2018 Nexon XZA+ AMT diesel since ~3 years, 32 k km including destinations in NE, Sach Pass and Ladakh without any issues. Only once in Aizawl, MZ while climbing a steep gradient, the AMT warning symbol appeared for a few minutes and disappeared on its own. I used the manual mode extensively on the hill sections of Himachal and Ladakh. I consider AMT a real boon in the cities. On the whole, I am enjoying AMT + turbo diesel combo. [clap][:D]
I was going to buy a tiago once, the car was used , everything wwas great except while the test drive an issue popped up, the car wont agree to move forward and the check engine light came up my Mechanic and me we pretty sure that it was an amt issue but maybe the tiago didnt have a amt light on the dash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I own a brezza amt and somehow maruti managed to reduce the jerkiness in the shifts.
It's a boon for city drives and in the city it doesn't get confuse much about which gear to engage.

Although with full load the car behaves very wrong. Main culprit here is the engine power which is very low.

Also on mountains one has to use the manual mode for overtaking or you will drive in 1.2k rpm - 1.5k rpm because the gearbox won't downshift at all.

Thread Starter #5
I own a brezza amt and somehow maruti managed to reduce the jerkiness in the shifts.
It's a boon for city drives and in the city it doesn't get confuse much about which gear to engage.

Although with full load the car behaves very wrong. Main culprit here is the engine power which is very low.

Also on mountains one has to use the manual mode for overtaking or you will drive in 1.2k rpm - 1.5k rpm because the gearbox won't downshift at all.
Has anyone ever experienced a stall? Because experienced driver can pull a underpowered car with full load even on uphill , what do you guys think would happen in the amt? Would it stall? Or would it just refuse to move ahead and need the good' ol car pushing?
Id really like some hyundai amt car owners to shed a light here because of their electronic actuators compared to the hydraulic ones used in tata and marutis

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
In a manual gearbox you will shift to even first gear when required. But in the AMT it will not go unless you de-accelarate and wait for a second for the speed to come down and then press the accelerator fully(this takes around 3-4 seconds and the other cars at the back will surely think the driver is a newbie) If the gearbox thinks the speed is suitable for third gear , it will stay in third gear even if the car is accelerating negligibly.

It won't stall for sure.

Ps : torque and engine tuning too has a important role in this. Petrol i10 will drive a lot better than say petrol verna because of different engine tunes with same load. You won't have to downshift a lot in the i10 compared to the verna.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
In a manual gearbox you will shift to even first gear when required. But in the AMT it will not go unless you de-accelarate and wait for a second for the speed to come down and then press the accelerator fully(this takes around 3-4 seconds and the other cars at the back will surely think the driver is a newbie) If the gearbox thinks the speed is suitable for third gear , it will stay in third gear even if the car is accelerating negligibly.

It won't stall for sure.

Ps : torque and engine tuning too has a important role in this. Petrol i10 will drive a lot better than say petrol verna because of different engine tunes with same load. You won't have to downshift a lot in the i10 compared to the verna.
My experience of driving an AMT did show me it does need upto some amount of manual input, either from the manual over ride or the tap to the accelator

Top Bottom