Authority Stickers on Vehicles: Reality Vs Theory

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Authority Stickers on Vehicles: Reality Vs Theory.​

Friends,

After a considerable time, I found a topic to write an article on. Well it is about an apparent issue i.e the usage of authority stickers like ARMY, NAVY, PRESS and others. As much as these stickers command respect in theory more than that they are misused by motorists/drivers to a great extent pan India in reality. The vehicles which are bearing such stickers often feel that they have the right to drive in their own way irrespective of whether the fellow motorists are facing an inconvenience. It is evident that on an average if we actually see these type of vehicle, it is clear from their driving style that whether they actually belong to the entity or just flaunting it for sake of recognition.

There are very few drivers who do respect the motorists and drive in a disciplined way even with these stickers but majorly these stickers in reality have lost their true meaning and have become a medium of escaping traffic rule/driving violations. It can be often seen that many cars with these types of stickers have got Black tints even when it is as per the court illegal in India. But the owner/driver are least bothered of the rules. Are these stickers on the cars meant for giving undue inconvenience? I have come across this especially in states like UP, Delhi/NCR and some others where the owner/driver feels like a king (read=dictator) of road with these stickers placed on his vehicle.

Another important misuse of these stickers happens when a vehicle bearing them is involved in a mishap. The driver/owner tries to throw their weight around and seldom respect the fact that with their non-ethical behavior the other affected person is having discomfort too. The drivers/owners who drive these cars are majorly arrogant and give two-hoots to the damage caused by them. Whether it is a two wheeler or 4 wheeler or a commercial vehicle, if they have even one such sticker on their windscreen, they feel, they’ll get away easily and sadly, it has been happening because the concerned authorities are not carrying out desired checks. Also, attaining these stickers has become an easy task with no authenticity. Today a road-side shop makes these stickers for as cheap as 40-50 rupees.

One of the major offenders with these types of stickers are the Cabbies who operate with news channels. In Noida, we have a film city in Sector 16 in which there are many reputed channels operating. The cab fleets they have, their drivers are the most ignorant of the lot. If they are at fault, they simply say “Go and talk to the Channel”. They do not accept their fault and simply get away with the offence just because their car has a sticker of a media entity. What I as a common daily commuter feel is this sort of discrimination is to be stopped and no matter to which ever entity/authority a driver/owner may represent, if he/she is wrong, needful penalty should be levied. The people having these type of stickers should not be given any special preference at all on the roads. They are as much as common man as the others is. They are expected to abide by the traffic laws as much as anyone else is expected to.

Apart from this, a stringent check needs to be done as to cross-check the details of the owners and the vehicles bearing these stickers because more than half of them are bogus. It has to be kept in mind that authentically representing any such respectful entity is not a child’s play. One has to even act in a highly responsible manner as well with it. I hope those who may read this small article, will at-least give a thought and if they are somewhere lacking in responsible attitude on roads then shall try to inculcate it.

I hope the article shall benefit one and all. My humble thanks to all of you to read this.​

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Agreed to the core. I have not seen much problem creators with Army,navy and Police stickers than "Press" stickers. These people acts like they are some Mafia and they have all the right to break rules on a road.Should we have these type of stickers? Press now a days commands no respect as we all know they are running after breaking news to make money. They can overtake through the left side,they can park on the footpath and many a times they are hand in hand with police and create problems for the common man. I would suggest to give no special consideration to any of these "sticker" people.

Well said. Last week there was a huge media campaign against parking on the foot path in Kerala. The irony is that the same media house had parked it's vehicles on foot paths while shooting other cars.

Well i have noticed these stickers but not seen any weird behaviour but yes i have seen press stickered cars driven badly & two wheelers with advocate stickers can be added to the list.

But some of these stickers are lame as i have seen Field Marshall sticker on cars & i am sure these arent related to the two field Marshalls in our History!!!

And oh lets not forget the cars & bikes with red " Polite " written to fool whom??

Few times, i've encountered stickers as "EX-MLA"/ "Purva Vidhayak". And few times i had some issues with Vehicles, with stickers of "Police/Army/Doctor/Advocate,etc and in the end, when Formal complaints were filed, I came to know that, the perosn driving the Vehicle was neither a Ex MLA, or doctor or advocate or from press or Army. The various reasons - "my father was ex-army", my Uncle was in Press few yrs ago", My friend's father knows a ëx-MLA" , etc... It's stupid and ridiculous to have such stickers on your vehicle, even if you are from a certain trade of work. Road and Traffic rules are same for every one. People must understand this and should not back off after seeing such non-sense stickers.

Top Bottom