Atom: A Red Tata Nano Gen-X AMT

Re: Atom -- A Red Tata Nano Genx AMT

Congrats on your Atom!

This is THE car for city running. I regularly get to drive a nano twist in hyderabad and am completely sold out on nano. Its perfect for our cities! :-). Such a shame that it is not selling in numbers that it should.

Wish you many happy miles in the Atom!

Last edited:

Hello KSDR,

thanks a lot.

The fan working is not an issue. My point is that the fan keeps on working in cases even when the key has been taken out of the ignition lock.

shouldnt it stop at that time? if it doesnt it is just going to suck out the battery juice which might give an issue later on. so should we keep the engine on till the time the fan is running or that fan doesnt consume that much battery so as to give an issue later on?

Regards,
Kinshuk
Kinshuk the fan running after key is there in some other cars like Fiat palio diesel too which was used by my cousin. I guess there must be a technical reason for that which I am not aware of it. My guess is TML would have factored this additional load on the battery. Ya it maybe a good idea in idling the car for a minute before switching it off.

Congrats.That is a wonderful city car! Many many happy drive ahead!!! Please see the manual for your query regarding fan.The information will be given there.

Congratulations Bro. TATA NANO is a wonderful car its light and its peppy. all the previous complaints are also rightly handled in this version. wish you many more happy miles on it. Parking and turning a nano is a breeze in busy traffic. as i own a sierra with huge turning radius Nano feels like child play to turn.:biggrin:

The space is a major game changer for this car if its a couple planning a even 10days trip all the luggage can be well stored in this car. Rear leg room is awesome and the new bumper design also looks classy when compared to predecessors. All in all a Great VFM car.

One more thing My bull and your Nano share the same name.[clap], Congrats once again.

Last edited:

Congrats for a getting the Atom. It looks stunning. :) How has the experience been so far? How has the experience been during your first service?

Thread Starter #22

Congrats Kinshuk, looks great! Looking forward to the family pic.

Have many a safe miles!

Cheers
IR
Thanks IR. Will do the family pic in some time. another surprise in the store.

Congratulation!!! You have choose the NANO technology.

I have driven this car so many times and it is fun to drive in heavy traffic of PUNE. I love the feather touché electronic assisted steering which make driving an ease. The cabin space, roof height, leg room, AC is just amazing.

Suggestion: If you wish to get a good FE try to drive in MANUAL mode, which is also a good to drive.

Hope you have great miles ahead.

"DRIVE SAFELY".
Thanks Amit, I put the Nano in manual mode once it is past 50kmph, and in 5th gear.

Congrats on your Atom!

This is THE car for city running. I regularly get to drive a nano twist in hyderabad and am completely sold out on nano. Its perfect for our cities! :-). Such a shame that it is not selling in numbers that it should.

Wish you many happy miles in the Atom!
Thanks Abhijeet. Seriously people are too much into the name, I think that is the reason it is not selling. but in Pune the automatic variant has a booking period of about 3 months.

Congrats.That is a wonderful city car! Many many happy drive ahead!!! Please see the manual for your query regarding fan.The information will be given there.
Thanks general max.

Congratulations Bro. TATA NANO is a wonderful car its light and its peppy. all the previous complaints are also rightly handled in this version. wish you many more happy miles on it. Parking and turning a nano is a breeze in busy traffic. as i own a sierra with huge turning radius Nano feels like child play to turn.:biggrin:

The space is a major game changer for this car if its a couple planning a even 10days trip all the luggage can be well stored in this car. Rear leg room is awesome and the new bumper design also looks classy when compared to predecessors. All in all a Great VFM car.

One more thing My bull and your Nano share the same name.[clap], Congrats once again.
Thanks Incarnation. yes the space is amazing from inside, it doesnt look that spacious from the outside, other thing to note is the weight of the vehicle is almost same as proper hatchbacks which I think makes it more sturdy although it does reduce the average a bit.

Congrats for a getting the Atom. It looks stunning. :) How has the experience been so far? How has the experience been during your first service?
Thanks mastiandroid5. Experience has been great so far. We do feel a bit lack of power while climbing uphills with full loads other that it is a hoot to drive in the city. Havent done yet the first service got just 180kms on the odo. Will post all about the first service which should be due in 2 months.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #23

Hello All,

Is it just me or the Horn in the Nano seems to be inadequate? no one in the traffic seems to hear it.

If any of you agrees kindly also suggest a worhty upgrade, sometimes I think of getting those power horns installed.

regards,
Kinshuk

Hello All,

Is it just me or the Horn in the Nano seems to be inadequate? no one in the traffic seems to hear it.

If any of you agrees kindly also suggest a worhty upgrade, sometimes I think of getting those power horns installed.

regards,
Kinshuk
You are right. Nano's stock horn is of no use. I upgraded the horns to windtone. Tell the shop guy to use coupler and not to cut any wires which will void the warranty. Normally the guy will say its not possible to upgrade the horns without cutting the wires. Most of them have little or no knowledge about coupler.

Thread Starter #26

Atom completed 1000kms yesterday.

WP_20151214_001.jpg

Latest running milleage is 17.4kmpl and the all time Milleage for the past 1000kms is 16.9kmpl. In my opinion it is a bit less for Nano. Is it because of automatic or is it the same or not much difference in manual variants as well?

The service interval for the Nano is 1000-1500km and before 3 months so will be taking Atom for its first service after some more kilometers.

our LX mileage figures are very good compared to this, It has always given us 19-20 without AC and the road in the city where i live are quite free from vehicles and easy to zip.

May be AMT gives less mileage than the MT's.

Thread Starter #28

our LX mileage figures are very good compared to this, It has always given us 19-20 without AC and the road in the city where i live are quite free from vehicles and easy to zip.

May be AMT gives less mileage than the MT's.
Ok then I guess the milleage for AMT is fine, as my running have been solely in city roads with heavy to medium traffic. and majority of the time with AC.

Took out Atom today for a small jaunt around the city, travelled around 40kms, the average shown by the real time meter went up to 30kmpl for sometime and the average fuel consumption for the entire trip came around 19kmpl.

Atom is the perfect city car now.

I found something after the ride, the fan for the radiator in the rear end keeps ON even after the key has been removed. Is this normal that the fan is connected directly to the battery in case of Tata Nano?
The radiator takes time to come down only if you have the AC running when you switch off the engine. Notice that the revs will actually be high when this happens. So the best thing to do is, wait for the revs to come down to the minimums and then switch off the engine. Its a cool off process for the engine and its neighbors so better just let it happen also keeps the engine healthy. It consumes a trivial amount of battery which can be ignored.

Atom completed 1000kms yesterday.

View attachment 187820

Latest running milleage is 17.4kmpl and the all time Milleage for the past 1000kms is 16.9kmpl. In my opinion it is a bit less for Nano. Is it because of automatic or is it the same or not much difference in manual variants as well?

The service interval for the Nano is 1000-1500km and before 3 months so will be taking Atom for its first service after some more kilometers.
Don't worry much about mileage before say 5000kms. Fuel efficiency will be less during the run in period. And between auto and manual drive, auto will definitely give you lesser FE simply because it is designed to upshift at a RPM which is higher to what we do during manual driving. Not sure about Nano, but generally the shifts happen around 2200 RPM but if we drive manually, we can and do upshift before 2000 RPM and hence you get better FE, though marginal.
People can ask the question "If you want to change gears why automatic". Well, if I were to answer that, I would say automatic because there is no clutch. Chasing gears in AMT or any automatic (if allowed) is still fun. So have fun with running it as manual. You don't need to worry about downshifting if need arises, the onboard computer takes care of that for you.

Thread Starter #30

Atom got its first servicing done this weekend. The service took just a couple of hours with a '0' bill.

No issues to report, still a peppy engine with a small body.

Although Atom did get his first battle scar this week, wifey trying to park in a tight spot got scratched by the pillar. I dont think anything can be done on this as the paint has peeled off completely and the filler is visible, but would love to hear suggestions if any.

IMG-20151231-WA0002.jpg

Top Bottom