Are There Any Benefits Of 'L' Plates?

Thread Starter #1
We decided to stick 'L' plates on our car after my elder brother met with some trouble while driving in traffic. My brother only has a learning license. I don't know whether L plates would protect our car from collisions and bumping or not. He has to take his car on roads without getting in any trouble otherwise he will never learn. He is the only one in my family who drives car. Neither me nor my parents have driven any car.

Law says that someone with a driving license should be sitting with a driver with LL. There is no one in my family who has DL. Me and my dad accompany our brother whenever he drives. My dad guides my brother better than me even though he never driven car in his life.

He is a new learner, he will make mistakes but mistakes cost us a lot of money. Will L plates make it easier for my brother to drive?

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
No! Please don’t do that…

As per rules set by Road Transportation Ministry no one is allowed to drive a vehicle without a co-driver who has a valid driving license.

If you caught by Traffic Cop or RTO officer, your license will be suspended or they will ban you further registration for license with charging fine. Driving without a valid license is an offence that can attract major fines and penalties. Doing so can charge you a fine of Rs. 5,000, followed by the vehicle getting impounded.

There is also a provision in the law that if you caught while driving at that time vehicle owner or your parent will be charged in term of 3 year jail or compensation in term of money.

Unfortunately, if you met with an accident , causing damage to your car or a third party property Insurance company will deny the claim.

Note, its becoming very RARE to see people respecting the ' L ' Board amidst fast moving , heavily congested today's traffic world.

Please ask him to join a good driving school, learn systematically and confidentially , get a valid permanent license first.

Be patient till then. Save yourself , your brother and co drivers & pedestrians!

Take Care.

Last edited:
This post is just a re-hash of your earlier messages.
Your brother must be accompanied by a full driving licence holder and display "L" plates at all times.
At the moment he is driving without the appropriate licence and no insurance.
He is an accident waiting to happen. If he does have an accident he will personally have to bear the full financial cost himself.
He is risking personal injury or even death.
More importantly he is also risking the lives of all other road users and pedestrians. This is one of the most selfish things he can do. Should he injure or disable someone or their child, there will be no money to provide medical care for that innocent individual.
I have said this before, do not do it. Get the appropriate training and insurance or stop driving now.
If you cannot afford it, take a bus, ride a bike, get a taxi or just walk.
There can be NO excuse for this behaviour, please stop NOW before it's too late.

Thread Starter #5
No! Please don’t do that…

As per rules set by Road Transportation Ministry no one is allowed to drive a vehicle without a co-driver who has a valid driving license.

If you caught by Traffic Cop or RTO officer, your license will be suspended or they will ban you further registration for license with charging fine. Driving without a valid license is an offence that can attract major fines and penalties. Doing so can charge you a fine of Rs. 5,000, followed by the vehicle getting impounded.

There is also a provision in the law that if you caught while driving at that time vehicle owner or your parent will be charged in term of 3 year jail or compensation in term of money.

Unfortunately, if you met with an accident , causing damage to your car or a third party property Insurance company will deny the claim.

Note, its becoming very RARE to see people respecting the ' L ' Board amidst fast moving , heavily congested today's traffic world.

Please ask him to join a good driving school, learn systematically and confidentially , get a valid permanent license first.

Be patient till then. Save yourself , your brother and co drivers & pedestrians!

Take Care.
The problem is that he won't be able to learn driving if he doesn't take out the vehicle and drive on traffic. Driving instructors only teach for 10 days and will only teach basic things. After that, student has to take his vehicle out for practice on his own.

My brother did learnt under an instructor for 10 days. When he began to start driving after 3 months since learning, he started to face problems several times.

He needs driving license to avoid the need of co-driver. Another issue is whether he will be given driving license or not, because he hasn't become a great driver yet. To become good at driving, he needs more practice. The more he will drive, the more he will learn. To practice more, he has to drive on his own on roads. Nobody in our home has a DL. I don't know whom should he make his co-driver.

He doesn't drives for a long time after he meets with some problem on road.

There are NO EXCUSES !!! He cannot drive on his own without a full licence.
My only wish is that someone on this forum will recognise you and your brother and report you to the local Police Dept, before there is a tragic accident.
If you cannot afford to take the correct actions to drive legally, do not do it.
I have nothing further to say on this topic. We are all wasting our time because you know better !!! and refuse to take responsibility for your actions, both of you.

Thread Starter #7
This post is just a re-hash of your earlier messages.
Your brother must be accompanied by a full driving licence holder and display "L" plates at all times.
At the moment he is driving without the appropriate licence and no insurance.
He is an accident waiting to happen. If he does have an accident he will personally have to bear the full financial cost himself.
He is risking personal injury or even death.
More importantly he is also risking the lives of all other road users and pedestrians. This is one of the most selfish things he can do. Should he injure or disable someone or their child, there will be no money to provide medical care for that innocent individual.
I have said this before, do not do it. Get the appropriate training and insurance or stop driving now.
If you cannot afford it, take a bus, ride a bike, get a taxi or just walk.
There can be NO excuse for this behaviour, please stop NOW before it's too late.
You are living in UK, but we are from India. We are from Lucknow.

My brother doesn't drives fast. He drives at the speed of 30-40km (2nd gear). He struggles in busy traffic and feels overwhelmed. I don't know whether he will get driving license or not, because he is not great at driving yet. To become a good driver he need practice. To practice, he has to take out his car on roads on his own.

Instructor taught him for 10 days where he learnt partially. Instructor will help you learn basic things. He charged around 5000 rupees. That means it was a waste of money for my brother. He started to learn under him 3 months before he began to drive personal car.

Nobody in my family has DL.

There are NO EXCUSES !!! He cannot drive on his own without a full licence.
My only wish is that someone on this forum will recognise you and your brother and report you to the local Police Dept, before there is a tragic accident.
If you cannot afford to take the correct actions to drive legally, do not do it.
I have nothing further to say on this topic. We are all wasting our time because you know better !!! and refuse to take responsibility for your actions, both of you.
I need advice on obtaining driving license. Will my brother get driving license if he is not perfect at driving?

If he doesn't practice and experience, his skills won't improve. We are stuck. If he drives, there is a risk. If he doesn't drive, he will lose his skills.

He just wasted his money by learning under an instructor for 10 days. His lack of ability to acquire driving skills is the reason learning under an instructor went in vain. He learnt partially. He did not become a complete driver under him within 10 days. Many of his clients learnt driving within 4-5 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom