Are SUVs Safe Enough Without ABS?

Thread Starter #1
I would like to know why ABS is important in SUV's ?
What if we don't have it ?
It is really necessary ?
I see many Sumo's , Boleros running for years without ABS, then why should it is must for Safari or Scorpio?

@Mods pls merge thread if there is any.

Last edited:
Re: SUV without ABS (like Scorpio or Safari) is ok?

My question to you : Why ABS is important in cars? I see many Maruti 800s, Altos running for years without ABS, then why it is seen in Audi and BMW? [:D]

Whether it's a car or an SUV, the ABS has the same function. Some old/cheap models don't have it but that doesn't mean that SUVs don't need it. Also remember, other technologies like EBD are of great use along with ABS especially for large vehicles. Not many cars come with stability control systems because of cost issues but that doesn't mean that it's not important.
The tittle should have been "Why ABS is important for vehicles?". And just google ABS and you will find plenty of answers for that question.

By the way, Scorpios are notorious for their poor brakes[:D].

Last edited:

I would like to know why ABS is important in SUV's ?
What if we don't have it ?
It is really necessary ?
I see many Sumo's , Boleros running for years without ABS, then why should it is must for Safari or Scorpio?

@Mods pls merge thread if there is any.
Surfer its very treacherous for a vehicle of this magnitude to topple, or sudden steering inputs may overturn the vehicle.

However ABS helps to over come such instances, and this effect can be felt especially in rains.

But with with ABS you have steering capability, which not only helps in reducing the speed, as well as control the vehicle.

And especially with such heavy weight of 2 tonnes and above, it is an added advantage, while doing triple digit speeds.

Imagine suddenly a hump appears on a highway, with ABS car stops on time, before the hump.

At the same time a car without ABS behaves like a rolling stone.

@Billion$kid: Just noticed your post, Can you clarify which Scorpio are you speaking about???

Because i have one, and i never felt brakes are poor, as you have described.

Last edited:

Know many Scorpio owners who are not so happy with the brakes. Maybe it's no longer an issue with the new editions but it definitely was an issue.

brakes are fine, its just that some like some input or in their words "feel" to the brakes.

but i feel that is every individual's perception.

i strongly feel ABS is important. the stopping distance decreases drastically and saves you from something nasty happening. I had an optra without ABS, it used to take its own time to stop and the tyres used to slide as if there were on butter. But in my verna now its all very controlled and confidence inspiring and makes a sudden brake situation look very easy without increasing my heart beat. According to me its a must have feature.

Surfer, very often comments can be confusing and misleading. Maybe things should be a little more clear.

On a dry tarmac road ABS has little effect on braking distance. The difference in braking distance when compared to a non-ABS system wont be as big as many people think. In some cases, there wont be any difference either. But it gives you the big advantage of steering the car while braking since the wheels will not get locked ie.completely stopped.

On a wet surface, the possibility of skidding under sudden braking is very high. Since the road is slippery, the vehicle will continue to skid increasing the braking distance. In such conditions, a car equipped with ABS enables the driver to steer the car away from the object/stay in control and also the braking distance will be be shorter since the wheels don't lock up.

Other technologies like brake assist are there to decrease the braking distance. They are very useful irrespective of the conditions. Google it and you can read about that also. What the ABS does primarily is that it allows the driver to stay in control of the vehicle even under sudden braking by continuously pumping the brakes if it senses a wheel lock. On wet surfaces this reduces the braking distance also.

There are several well written articles by experts on these technologies. It's better to read those. That's what I told you to do and that's what I want you to do.

ABS is very useful for the SUVs too since they're very heavy. While braking at high speeds, chances of skidding are very high and ABS is very helpful in such situations. It can be very scary when the car starts to skid but with ABS you feel confident since the car is still controlled by you.

Driving without ABS
Under normal driving conditions, if you drive carefully without doing seriously high speeds you probably can live without ABS. On wet surface, pumping the brakes should help you avoid skidding to a certain extent (you need practice of course). It's better to drive slowly when the road is wet and it's raining (even cars equipped with ABS). That said, there's no alternative to ABS. It's always good to have that in your vehicle.

ABS is a life saver. It's not a license for someone to drive like mad. If ABS kicks in while braking, what you need to realise is that you are driving a bit too quickly and it's time to slow down.

SUVs do need ABS as they are heavy and carry a lot of inertia with it. Under emergency braking, it is more difficult to stop a 2 ton SUV when compared to a 1.5 ton sedan.

I will never advise anyone to buy an SUV (even MUVs like Innova and Xylo) without ABS. For that matter, every car whether sedan, hatchback or SUV should have ABS.

Know many Scorpio owners who are not so happy with the brakes. Maybe it's no longer an issue with the new editions but it definitely was an issue.
You are right. The older Scorpios used to have poor braking but not so with the new ones.

SUVs do need ABS as they are heavy and carry a lot of inertia with it. Under emergency braking, it is more difficult to stop a 2 ton SUV when compared to a 1.5 ton sedan.

I will never advise anyone to buy an SUV (even MUVs like Innova and Xylo) without ABS. For that matter, every car whether sedan, hatchback or SUV should have ABS.
My thoughts exactly:agree. In India, cost is the only barrier that prevent the manufacturers from installing it on all their cars. It's all about cost cutting here.

How much ABS is important?
the hell,this is not at all a no-nonsense question.

Being true,with an experienced and good driver(definitely not like me) ABS does not matter that much.I have seen drivers controlling even the most cumbersome SUV in the segment called 'Safari' without ABS too.
But for the drivers who just drive mindlessly(ones like me)definitely need ABS,it gives us that fraction of a second which decides between life and death.
Hence,overall ABS is a must not only for SUVs,but for every car.
SUVs carry a lot of momentum.As already said by Superbad,the brakes are FINE,not good or much confident,so they need ABS,because sensible drivers are very tough to find and then anyone can go out of senses anytime.

Thread Starter #12

Even I know the importance of ABS, but all manufactures charge premium for this and hence the car cost increases a lot.

The areas like himachal, kashmir , north east region where roads are wet many times, but you can see so many cars running good without ABS.

So if someone is having a SUV without ABS (due to budget constraints) then what are the driving tips?

See most of the rental SUV's are non ABS and many of their drivers drive well.

Why the Indian government does not make ABS and airbags compulsory on all cars ? these are life saving features, in other countries its a must then why not in India?

So if someone is having a SUV without ABS (due to budget constraints) then what are the driving tips?
Drive as slow as possible, especially in wet/slippery conditions. Keep a safer distance between your's and the car in front. Judiciously use engine braking. Dont attempt to swerve hard when braking.

Surfer,
Buying a car today without ABS is like buying a car without seatbelt or airbags. If seatbelt is optional for you and your family then perhaps you could skip the ABS option. It's a safety thingy. It's very sad that ABS hit the Indian market long after it was made standard in many western countries. Just like seat belts and air bags save lives, ABS could also save your life. Imagine driving down from a hill station on a rainy day. ABS will give you so much confidence slamming the brakes before every sharp turn.
Blindly go with the ABS option. Do not take a chance. Basically it proves its importance on wet, sandy, slippery roads.
Cheers,
Rafian

Actually the cost of installing ABS is not so high. ABS was available as an option in the Maruti Swift V variant for an extra 20k(?). Unfortunately it's no longer available. Top variants cost more not just because of the safety features. The additional luxury features are the major reason for the high pricing.

Drive slowly(if the road is wet), anticipate and start braking early. Avoid sudden braking. In emergency situations, pump the brakes to prevent the wheels from getting locked. Raj has posted some very useful tips too.

Taxi drivers are less worried because they are very familiar with most roads in their area and are ready to take the risk. They are more concerned about money. Their experience also helps them avoid accidents.

@2teja : Maybe you own the latest model. There was definitely a problem in the old models.

Top Bottom