Are SUVs Safe Enough Without ABS?

yes when buying a big vehicle such as Scorpio or Safari or even the Xylo, ABS is a must. no need power windows but ABS is a must. My Xylo and Manza both dont have it. Manza its not a problem because it stays in city only. Xylo well thats the problem. Also I dont know why it is terribly easy to lock the front wheels of Xylo. Really I miss ABS in my Xylo but budget did not permit us to go for any ABS variant.

Thread Starter #18
Really I miss ABS in my Xylo but budget did not permit us to go for any ABS variant.
This is the point , car manufacturers change very premium amount for safety features, which is totally wrong. Why don't they drop luxury features like ICE etc and give atleast ABS.

This is the point , car manufacturers change very premium amount for safety features, which is totally wrong. Why don't they drop luxury features like ICE etc and give atleast ABS.
Totally agree with surfer...instead of giving rain sensing wipers, auto headlamps, indicators on mirrors , auto folding mirrors. Companies should concentrate more on ABS & both side airbags.

Jango.

Manufacturers give what customers demand. How many of the people in the real world (outside this forum) give importance to safety features?

How many Swift ZXi have you seen, when compared to Swift VXi? For that matter, how many VXi have you seen with the optional ABS?

Thread Starter #21
How many Swift ZXi have you seen, when compared to Swift VXi? For that matter, how many VXi have you seen with the optional ABS
It's all about money, no one wants to avoid safety features. If they don't have technical background or if some one don't know what ABS is or what airbags are then does it should matter to manufacturers ? They have to give preference to safety first and then other stuffs.
We know what is ABS and airbags and their importance also , but due to budget constraints we have to compromise on those somehow.
Take eg: of Scorpio LX and Scorpio SLE price difference.

Manufacturers give what customers demand. How many of the people in the real world (outside this forum) give importance to safety features?

How many Swift ZXi have you seen, when compared to Swift VXi? For that matter, how many VXi have you seen with the optional ABS?
Agree. It's true that majority of the customers demand those fancy features. Most people will consider safety over luxury but only if they feel it's worth the extra money. Even then it would be difficult.

For eg. consider the braking system in the old Swift. There's no noticeable difference between the Swift equipped with ABS and not equipped with ABS under normal conditions. The customer will not notice any difference and he will say NO. Even the executives at most of the showrooms don't know what ABS actually is.

First time buyers might consider it. But like the OP himself, when they see other cars run fine without ABS they also tend reject it. They will be more attracted by those fancy features that will be of use to them every day.

And there's a bit of truth in that. If you don't drive at very high speeds and drive very carefully on slippery roads or avoid driving when conditions are not favourable, you are considerably reducing the risk of accident because of a wheel lock. But it's always good to have ABS because you never know when you will need it.

Basically you need to make sure that the tyres have enough tread. Driving a car with bald tyres is a lot more dangerous than driving a car without ABS.

First time buyers might consider it. But like the OP himself, when they see other cars run fine without ABS they also tend reject it. They will be more attracted by those fancy features that will be of use to them every day.

And there's a bit of truth in that. If you don't drive at very high speeds and drive very carefully on slippery roads or avoid driving when conditions are not favourable, you are considerably reducing the risk of accident because of a wheel lock. But it's always good to have ABS because you never know when you will need it.
Safety features are not necessarily for everyday use. For example, you will never ever appreciate the importance of it, until the day it inflates and saves your precious life. This moment is priceless if that airbag saves a life. A safety feature will always have an advantage. And if we can afford, we should definitely have it. As type-r said, he would prefer to have manual windows and ABS rather than other way round.
Its sad that we Indians have always given safety low preference. These safety features should come standard on all vehicles (like seat belts).

Safety features are not necessarily for everyday use. For example, you will never ever appreciate the importance of it, until the day it inflates and saves your precious life. This moment is priceless if that airbag saves a life. A safety feature will always have an advantage. And if we can afford, we should definitely have it. As type-r said, he would prefer to have manual windows and ABS rather than other way round.
Its sad that we Indians have always given safety low preference. These safety features should come standard on all vehicles (like seat belts).
Yes they are not for daily use. But in the eyes of the customer who doesn't know about its advantage, some other features like climate control or power windows may look more attractive.

The safety features should be made standard across all cars but the price will also increase. And if you intend to buy a car for use within the city, ABS or airbags are actually not needed. I wouldn't say not needed but you can certainly live without it.

Seat belt vs ABS? Definitely seat belt. Wearing seat belt is made mandatory because
1)It is useful irrespective of the conditions. No IFs here.
2)Very cheap to implement.
3)Number of deaths in accidents because of not wearing seatbelt is very high.

None of the above three arguments can be raised for ABS or Airbags.

Point is - not many are actually aware of the safety features. Even if some are aware, they tend to ignore it and choose other luxuries over safety.

Manufacturers are here to sell cars. If a customer demands safety features, then there is no reason why the manufacturer wont provide it. But if no importance is being given to ABS and Airbags, why would a company unnecessarily plonk it in their base models and make it more expensive than it's competitors and thereby lose business?

Companies want to make money and they are not here for social service. This is pure business for them and that is a fact. Yes, they do give you the option of buying a car with all safety features but it is upto you to decide your fate. There are many people who feel that ABS is not necessary, why would a company lose business to them? If we ourselves dont care about our safety, why should we expect the manufacturers to do so?

@ Surfer:
Base models of many cars are bought by cab operators or fleet owners or even people on a tight budget. Such people dont care about the safety features in the car. Every manufacturer wants to price their base models as competitively as possible. Hence, they have to cut costs. If you are so conscious about safety and you find the top end to be too expensive, you can always buy another car which is in your budget and also offers all the safety features. There are many options today... For example, if you are very concerned about safety and cannot afford the top end i20 with Airbags and ABS, why not buy the top end Swift then? It comes with Airbags & will cost the same as the i20's middle variant without Airbags.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26
At-least they should provide it as an option on all variants. I don't want alloys or automatic ac , or even ICE but I want ABS and Airbags.
But in current market I can't get that in any base model.

If it is possible in US, Europe then why not in India?

It is all about manufacturing costs bro. I will give you the example of the Scorpio.

Now, the Scorpio is a mass produced car, unlike the Rolls Royce or Bugatti where customization is easy. With ever increasing demand and the factory struggling to cope up with it, do you think it is feasible and financially worth it for M&M to produce an off beat car (Scorpio LX with ABS/Airbags) for a customer?

First of all, you disturb the production line for a single product. Secondly, you also know that there will not be many such orders. Why would they hamper the process for such a small minority of customers?

Also remember, they are here to do business and do a thorough market research periodically. If there is a demand for the LX variant with ABS or Airbags, THEY WILL DEFINITELY LAUNCH IT. There was a demand for 4x4 in the LX and M&M did launch it and it is doing good numbers. Similarly, M&M should be convinced that LX with ABS/Airbags will do good numbers. Only then it will be feasible for them to produce that variant.

When compared to India, people in US and Europe are a lot more safety conscious. So that wont be a fair comparison. I have read that many people in US compare crash test ratings before buying a car... Do we do that in India?

@Raj:After seeing the above pics and all the stuff you posted I am now thinking what will be your opinion about owning a bog devil on wheels or say a truck?
I think it can tailgate and finish even BIG SUVs too,right?

Going by your thinking,people will stop buying sedans and will end up buying those tractors.

I dont expect everybody to think like me for that matter! I love SUVs for their toughness, but that's just me.

By the way, the video I posted was in a sarcastic tone...

Last edited:
Guys whatever, in rains ABS is a boon, as I feel gifted to have this feature, as I do lot of rainy ghat drives, where road conditions are worse, when it rains cats and dogs, ABS helps a lot in braking.

I have seen many low sedans switching ON hazard lamp and drive at snails pace, it's in such situation one sitting high feels gifted to drive in such worse conditions.

Classic example I can give is My Mangalore-Goa route, which I usually do in October or November.

Top Bottom