Are SUVs Difficult to Drive in Chaotic Cities?

Are SUVs Difficult to Drive?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #17
bit surprise to see your answer . both SUV are super . well it could be that where i try to park my safari i get difficulty . Good to see you are enjoying

I somehow do not feel any difference in driving(difficulty) with SUV/Hatch?sedan. Just when it comes to parking in tight spots, i realize the real size of the vehicle.

@ Archit Parking spot must be the difference , you know about India and the road sense and manners. Even in a proper well marked parking space you can see cars parked in irregular patterns.

I also don see any time getting wasted because of driving SUV'S inside cities , at max maybe i will get late to the place by 15 mins.

People at Chennai and who have been to City Centre mall car parking , driving an SUV inside the spiral passage is a real tough task especially if you want to get to the lower floor!

I have been driving UVs for a long time,but what I feel is that SUVs are not at all hard to drive in city,in fact two wheeler riders,rickshaw pullers etc also don't disturb you while you drive an SUV and hence I feel that I have quite more open road for me while driving one.
On the other hand,basically turning ratio(especially at U turns),body roll,a less responsive steering and a quite more bumpy suspension are a pain while driving in the city,but overall..I can say that SUVs AND SEDANS BOTH DRIVES NEARLY SAME(both have their own pros and cons,so just balance them) IN THE CITY...I don't know the opinion of you people but I have experienced the same.
Here is an example:
1):Its okay that rear/side view is not that good in SUVs,but with our high waist line sedans and hatches like Polo and Beat the view is not that good in those too.
2):Its okay that SUVs need quite more space on road,but drive a sedan like Laura(as I do)and see,even these sedans too need the same amount of space.
3)I am not ready to believe that SUVs are pain at parking,I am driving both the breeds and what I feel is that parking while reversing is painful in both SUVs and Sedans,in fact with the high waist line,I feel that sedans are more difficult to park in reverse,especially on inclines(maybe because they are front wheel driven).While in congested parkings or parkings with uneven surface,you will find SUVs easier to park,maybe due to their high seated driving position.

At last,on our highways SUVs are better at one place(rest everywhere sedans are better),since you are high seated in SUVs so you can see if anyone is trying to make a suicidal attempt by crossing the divider and coming in front of you..I mean you can look even on the other side of the grass on the divider.

Last edited:
UVs are not difficult to drive in cities, the space they take up is the same as that of good sedan. However, crisp turning is not possible in UVs like sedan or hatch. Also, in case of parking, it is difficult for UVs, especially while taking reverse coz the rear visibility is quite poor. My friend opens the door while taking reverse in his Ford Endy [lol].....& I say to him it looks like Tata 407 driving style !!

Haven't driven Pajero, so can't comment on it.

* In cities, the traffic cop unnecessarily asks to halt UV, faced this myself twice when I was inside as passenger. However, sedans are seldomnly asked to halt.

City drive has two options only
Either it is Difficult or Easy ,whether you drive SUV, Sedan, Hatchback or bike.
Parking is different issue because size.

Here SUV has got its own advantage .Psychological boost of SUV make it easier to drive.

People admire SUV and don’t try to act over smart in congested city traffic whereas same people don’t care for Sedans, Hatchbacks

As per me i found SUV's a bit complicated while driving in cities and small roads(Personal experience after driving Scorpio),But once you get used to it,it gets going better as you know to handle this machine,but after driving SUV's if we drive an hatch,it feels as if we own the road!and the same applies vice versa.

Never drove a SUV , but i m sure people will automatically move away seeing it [;)].With reverse camera dont thing it will be difficult to park

The hell with all the facts and tacts..what I know is that every rickshaw puller etc keeps away from a Safari/Scorpio with louder horns and this makes them quite easy to drive at many parts of the city.

About reversing let me tell you,till today I haven't ever looked at back while reversing weather it may be Safari or Innova or Laura or Corolla,onlr ORVMs are enough,but yes by seeing in ORVMs I feel reversing Innova is easier than the Corolla(that boot thing confuse me).

Thread Starter #30
i never used centre mirror while reverse only side . more then enough for me to park even in tight spot but i am getting spoiled by safari rear camera

Top Bottom