Are Mud Flaps Necessary For Cars?

Are mud flaps necessary for cars?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
The stock mud flaps for Punto is horrible and i couldn't find any good alternative. I am just thinking to remove it and leave it like that. So wondering, is it must to have?

I feel its must to have. Else i think the water may splash on the vehicles coming behind the bikers especially will be the sufferers!!

Yes RSM it is required.

A mud flap is used in combination with the vehicle fender to protect vehicle passengers, other vehicles, and pedestrians from flying pebbles,mud and other road particles thrown into the air by the rotating tire.

So it is required for the safety of others.Even if you run your car in high speeds debris may scratch your fenders, front doors and rear bumpers which come out from the speedy rolling wheels.

Mudflaps are basically required for keeping your underchasis clean & other vehicles clean.

It will also help fellow pedestrains & riders who follow behind!

Its a must , help reduce dirt deposit on running board and other inner part and save metals and add pedestrians too.

Stylish one available for each and every car. Our estilo has a pvc material like , but in accessory stores (including my uncle's) the normal ones are only available which are flexible. I am talking about rigid and un-flexible like. It was more stylish and many estilo owners asked about it in roads. I got that fixed as free accessory at the dealer

The stock mud flaps for Punto is horrible and i couldn't find any good alternative. I am just thinking to remove it and leave it like that. So wondering, is it must to have?
Check your side sill at the front of the rear wheel arch (at the corner where the wheel arch meets the side sill)
There will be a clear transparent tape stuck there.
This is to prevent paint damage from stones thrown up by the front wheel.
It is now commonly seen ... Swift, Fabia etc.

The Front Mudflaps are critical to prevent stone chip damage, this is inspite of the the preventive measures taken by most manufacturers.

The rear ... like some others have mentioned, are for the bikers behind, and a bit for your bumper.

Most OE Front Mudflaps are pretty decent, and anyways are not that visible.
The rear mudflaps are more commonly "fugly".

You could do what I have done ... I have only the front mudflaps fitted, and the rear is bare and beautiful!!

Thread Starter #7
Thanks to all of guys for your suggestions.

@Aditya, I will do the same for now as you have suggested. Only flaps for front wheels.

Thread Starter #9
Finally today i put all 4 mud-flaps to my punto.
It costed Rs. 485 for 4 pcs. I still don't like the look, but the material is excellent. Its made-up of PVC material, feels soft and strong.

I will upload some pictures when i take.

The front mud flaps looks cool but the ones in the rear affects the looks of the car as Aditya mentioned! But maybe after some modifications your Punto will look like a rally car!!

The front mud flaps looks cool but the ones in the rear affects the looks of the car as Aditya mentioned! But maybe after some modifications your Punto will look like a rally car!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence!!
BTW, personal opinion, matte finish on mudflaps are better than gloss!!

They look good but as aditya said you should have gone in for matte finish. Then you could have got them coloured red to match your cars colour. Atleast i did that for my cars mudflaps and they look good too.

350Z

Core Team
These mud flaps are looking nice. The ones I have on my car are hard and tends to fall off. I'm soon going to replace them.

RSM, Can you post a complete rear shot of your Punto?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #15
These mud flaps are looking nice. The ones I have on my car are hard and tends to fall off. I'm soon going to replace them.
Initially i was thingking to put some hard material, which looks better. But for now this is OK.

RSM, Can you post a complete rear shot of your Punto?
Sorry, i didn't capture full rear. Next time.

Top Bottom