Are Black Colored Cars Difficult to Maintain?

I might be late, but my 2 cents,

*The dirts are more visible in black color. I clean my car everyday.
*Black color car gets heated when parked under sun. But if open your window a little bit, it allows the hot air inside the vehicle to escape. So whenever you park your black car under the sun, just leave open your window a little bit
*Black is not as visible as other cars in night and especially if park it on the sides of road. In highway if you pullover your car, please switch on your hazard light.
Black is beauty....

Drive Safe.

I agree with your points,

But for auto roll up power windows it is not possible to open the window glass little bit. for that, once we entered into the car.we need to open all the window glasses for sometime & let the hot air to pass and switch ON A/C..

Driving Black color car in summer without A/C will be Horrible like anything[frustration]..

Black color looks beautiful in any car, but to keep it shiny and clean is a difficult job.
Even after cleaning dust particle can be seen.
Micro scratches can be seen very easily,not in any other color easily.

Might be late...but sharing my experience from my car...I have a black polo.
Black is the most beautiful and majestic colors on vehicles and yes, more painful to maintain than any other color.
If well kept...no other car can come close to the beauty of it.
What i do to keep my ride cool:cool: (pun intended)
- Keep it covered as much as possible even when in shade
- Always keep an anti-static duster....helps quickly take away dust
- For rainy season....keep a water sprayer (ones used for flowering pots) and some lint-free cloth at hand {best is an old baniyan}
- Wash often with just water (i do twice a week's drive)
- Keep a car wax-n-wash liquid at hand (even on long trips). I keep one that's dual purpose. Once in a month, i use this and it helps keep my ride sparkling :biggrin:
- Harsh sun can impact inside too... so get a good grade sun-film and as much as possible keep sun shining in from the rear of the car.
Hope this helps...but this is what i prefer.

I've booked an Ecosport TDI Titanium option in black color and expecting delivery in a few days time. I already have a Swift in white.I know black is high maintenance; but if its taken care of do you guys think its a good choice and does Ecosport look good in black? I'm confused. Please help guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, black cars are difficult to maintain. I own a Midnight black Maruti Riitz zxi.
Any other color cannot match the beauty of Black color, if well kept.
To keep your black car sparkling-
- Keep a Micro fibre towel which will help you wipe the dust quickly.
- Water Wash your car every 2-3 days.
- Wax it every month.
- Keep it covered as much as possible.
Disadvantages of black colored cars-
- Bad onem which i DO NOT consider at all.
- You can even spot a hairline scratch immediately.
- Attracts dust, or you can spot it quickly.
- Since it is black, it attracts heat, but its upto a manageable level
- You can easily spot any uneven surfaces.

I own a Red Ertiga. Even a small ride would make my car dusty. I am doing a wet cloth cleaning on it daily. It is not that only black clour gets ugly easily by dust. Yes, for some black colour is not a good omen. My friends Black Swift takes a while to cool than other coloured swifts during summer. Only issue with black cars are more number of cars have met accidents at night because they are sometimes not visible that is why Taxi's started painting Yellow at teir roofs.

Already took delivery of my Black Beauty. yeah thats what i felt the first time i saw my Black Ecosport Tdci T-O.
Like sumitsinha12 said nothing matches the beauty of a black car and i felt totally vidicated with my color choice when i saw my black beauty this morning.

Any suggestions to make the car more visible at night time on highways in particular?

Thanks for ur help guys!!

Already took delivery of my Black Beauty. yeah thats what i felt the first time i saw my Black Ecosport Tdci T-O.
Like sumitsinha12 said nothing matches the beauty of a black car and i felt totally vidicated with my color choice when i saw my black beauty this morning.

Any suggestions to make the car more visible at night time on highways in particular?

Thanks for ur help guys!!
Hey nash, Congrats on your ES. If you are a regular night driver then use reflecter stickers.

Hey nash, Congrats on your ES. If you are a regular night driver then use reflecter stickers.
Thanks a ton kinky.
What kind of reflective stickers are you talking about? Pls suggest me something which wont spoil my car's look.
And yeah I'm a regular night time traveller.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Trivia: Read an article in Auto Bild magazine where they had tested the temperature inside a black coloured car and a white coloured car after having parked them under the sun for the same amount of time. The result was shocking. The temperature inside the black car was 10°C more than that inside the white one.

This would mean that the AC would have to work harder inside a black car in order to keep the insides cool = more wear and tear of AC components = more maintenance. Relatively high temperature inside a black car would also affect the interior trim adversely = more maintenance in the long run.

My experience - Most of the black cars if kept clean and polished look stunning. I was about to buy Black Skoda Rapid, however changed to Silver because of following feedback from 3 of my friends who had black cars
1) Maintenance - Keeping it clean is tough
2) Heating - Black cars heat up a lot and now with sun films ban, it will become more hot
3) Visibility in night - Black cars are not that visible in night, so have to put some radium or lights etc even when car is parked and have to be more careful in driving on highways specially.

I went to 3M car care today to enquire about the underbody quoting and new car wax polishing. They have a sun film for windshield which prevents the heat and uv rays from entering the cabin. They showed a demo as well with a high power focus light. It did filer out the heat superbly. The only downside is it costs a whopping 8k..

Top Bottom