Analysis: Own a Mercedes Benz for Only Rs.5 Lakhs!

Thread Starter #16

350Z

Core Team
Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. Could you post the servicing, repair and other maintenance cost details of your W210? Or why not create a separate ownership thread with pictures and details of your car so that all related-questions can be asked there itself. Did you bought this car new or pre-owned?

Drive Safe,
350Z

excellent article 5/5 stars!! i also dont like looks of old merc with square light but circular one looks good ...but only thing is that after being cheaper merc is not cheaper for maintenance and one need to sacrifice latest features like bluetooth, steering mounted controls etc..OMG i cant expect 25k for each service and 18k for ORVMs! :eek:

Thread Starter #18

350Z

Core Team
That’s true, one will have to sacrifice with some of the modern features which are nowadays seen even in Rs.4 Lakh Hatchback, but if there’s brand image of having a Mercedes, it shouldn’t be that difficult to overlook. Thanks for the 5-Star rating, by the way.

Drive Safe,
350Z

hey guys anybody aware whats the cost of insurance for such old merc? and i think we also need to pay extra taxes for cars over 10 years older...

Pre-worshipped W124 - the classy answer to modern day hatches

350Z - Brilliant write-up mate.

The W124 is a time-less classic. Things like the simple yet elegant lines, the stance of the car and the uncomplicated nature of its electrical/mechanical components has made it a real collectors piece.

My personal pick in the lineup would be the 5-cylinder E250D. In the true Mercedes tradition, this was the one to go across the country. The tank like build and the back-caressing ride quality meant that one could start from the Capital and travel across to the South end in a single trip.

Their bulletproof nature meant that if you maintained them according to schedule, the only attention they required were a tank of fuel and a body wash/vacuum at the end of the trip down south.

No modern hatch can even come close to the feel of this old beauty. And to those who wish to pimp them up, its easy. A thorough detailing job, a nice set of wheels along with a pumped up entertainment system and the old lady is all set to rock the town.

Thanks for this trip down memory lane [:)]

excellent article 5/5 stars!! i also dont like looks of old merc with square light but circular one looks good ...but only thing is that after being cheaper merc is not cheaper for maintenance and one need to sacrifice latest features like bluetooth, steering mounted controls etc..OMG i cant expect 25k for each service and 18k for ORVMs! :eek:
Hey dude! I have changed my music system to DVD player with on dash screen plus roof mounted screen & has got bluetooth. But dude , when I
answer the calls , it looks as if I lost it & speaking to my self, people just
go staring me.

Hey dude! I have changed my music system to DVD player with on dash screen plus roof mounted screen & has got bluetooth. But dude , when I
answer the calls , it looks as if I lost it & speaking to my self, people just
go staring me.
i think this commonly happens with people who drive car with bluetooth.:lol!: how much is cost of insurance for such old merc? and do you also pay extra taxes 'coz of its old life?

i think this commonly happens with people who drive car with bluetooth.:lol!: how much is cost of insurance for such old merc? and do you also pay extra taxes 'coz of its old life?
Insurance I dont remember , I think around Rs 20000 & no extra tax has
been paid so far.

Thread Starter #27

350Z

Core Team
Guess I have found a reliable workshop for Mercedes near my area. Generally, it has quite a lot of W124s, W210s, and W211s parked 24x7. Yesterday, spoke with them regarding basic maintenance cost details. They charge approx. Rs.15,000 for normal servicing (Incl. Synthetic Engine Oil). That's quite reasonable for a Merc, I believe and far more wallet-friendly in comparison with the authorized A.S.S.

Drive Safe,
350Z

That's really cheap! A cost of servicing a Jetta goes upto Rs.15k if done at A.S.S! So are you serious about a Merc as your next car?

I guess, I have found a reliable workshop for Mercedes near my area. Generally, it has quite a lot of W124s, W210s, and W211s parked 24x7. So yesterday, discussed with them regarding basic maintenance cost details, and they charge approx. Rs.15,000 for normal servicing (Incl. Synthetic Engine Oil). That's quite reasonable for a Merc, I believe and far more wallet-friendly in comparison with the authorized A.S.S.
ASS charges Rs. 18000/- for normal servicing. So even u can get it to ASS too.

Thread Starter #30

350Z

Core Team
That's really cheap! A cost of servicing a Jetta goes upto Rs.15k if done at A.S.S! So are you serious about a Merc as your next car?
That’s quite difficult to answer, as of now. Though I love the looks of W210 but considering the practicality aspect (Esp. Maintenance), I’d prefer the W124. Watch this space. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom