Ambanad Hills

Thread Starter #1
Dear friends, I am sharing a brief experience of one of my trips I made in 2019. This time I headed to Ambanad hills to quietly watch the dense, low, dancing clouds that seem to touch the hills and to take a lazy stroll over the lush green valleys.

Actually this was my second visit to Ambanad Hills, a quaint hill station that bestows stunning panoramic views of majestic hills and green-carpeted meadows.
As usual it was a solo trip in my Safari Storme, packed my bag and camera; I started leisurely in the morning as the destination is hardly 60km away. I planned this trip as a 2 days trip with night halt at Ambanad. The route was Punalur (Suspension bridge) – Thenmala (Dam and Ottkkal Outlook) – Kazhuthurutty – Ambanad.
I drove around 25km and reached my first destination Punalur Suspension Bridge at 9am

PUNALUR SUSPENSION BRIDGE: The Bridge is located in Punalur Town, built across Kallada River. The bridge has a length of 400 feet. It is one of the oldest suspension bridges in south India having a suspended deck. The Suspension bridge was built by the British government in 1877. The reason to build a suspension bridge was to prevent wild animals from entering into the town from the forest area.
The view of Kallada River and the town from the bridge is fantastic. The important of this place is more than just views, it is historical and also an Engineering Wonder. This place is very less crowded. It is well connected by bus and train.
A new concrete bridge was built on the upstream side of the Suspension Bridge. Only pedestrians are allowed on this bridge now. The bridge was recently repaired and renovated by the government of Kerala. It is decorated with night lamps and a small park and a resting place was made near the bridge. The Punalur suspension bridge is a historical monument. Ironically it is not getting much attention from the tourists and general public.
Punalur Suspension Bridge.jpg

Thread Starter #2
After having my breakfast from nearby vegetarian hotel, I started at around 9.30am to the next destination Ottakkal Lookout. I reached there around 10.15am.

OTTAKKAL OUTLOOK: Ottakkal Outlook is a view point on NH 744 (Kollam – Thirumangalam), on the way to Thenmala dam from Punalur side. There is an outlook tower with spiral staircase. The aerial view of the weir bridge, Kallada river, the surrounding forest area and the mountain ranges from the lookout tower is really mesmerizing.

I had a walk down to the weir, the stairs from the lookout leading to the river bank and weir bridge. The water flowing out through the spillway and splashing onto the rocks in the river course is enthralling and it can be closely viewed and enjoyed from the weir bridge. The weir dam at Ottakkal is part of Kallada Irrigation Project constructed about 5 Kilometers down the main dam.
20150205_150520.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG

I did not spent much time here, continued my journey to my final destination, Ambanad hills. Thenmala dam is in the vicinity, but I chose to visit there on my way back from Ambanad Hills.

I reached Kazhuthurutty around 11.30am. The winding and narrow road from here to Ambanadu Hills is through rubber plantations and tea estates. After a drive through hilly road I reached Ambanad Hills finally around 12.30am.

Thread Starter #3
Ambanad Hills: is a hill station in Punalur Taluk in Aryankavu panchayat, about 12 km away from Kazhuthurutty in the eastern part of Kollam district. Ambanad Hills is famous for the tea, orange and clove plantations.

The place offers a canvas of the valley with seemingly endless stretches of the gigantic Western Ghats and Achankovil Forest. It is a less explored tourist destination, we won’t find many tourists here, and we will get enough time to connect with the magic of the beautiful landscapes, small streams and waterfalls. Ambanad offers a memorable journey with its matchless beauty and pristine landscapes.

I met some of my local friends here (I became fried with them during my last visit), I had lunch offered by them and after a small rest I went for a trek with them to the hill summit nearby. Though the trek through the forest climbing on the steep rock cliffs ignoring the bites of leaches was very difficult, it was a different experience. The view of the green carpeted meadows and endless mountain ranges of the Western Ghats from the summit was really mesmerizing and worthwhile and compensated for all the difficulties and troubles I had. The descent was really tiresome than the ascent. After the trek we decided to call the day off.
DSC_0275.JPG
DSC_0277.JPG
DSC_0291.JPG

Thread Starter #4
Next day morning after a hot tea we planned to visit to the tree hut in the forest, it was on the bank of a stream, to reach there we have to cross a wooden bridge hanging on a rope. Crossing the bridge was really difficult, it was sagging. I took bath in the crystal clear water of the cold wild stream; it was a different experience in my life. Some of my friends were busy with preparing the breakfast (Tapioca and Chicken Curry) on the shore of stream; in the meanwhile I enjoyed the views from the tree hut. We had breakfast cum lunch enjoying the beauty of the nature.
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0099.JPG
DSC_0132.JPG
DSC_0229.JPG

Thread Starter #5
Next destination was the waterfalls in the forest. It is very difficult to access; there are 4x4 jeep safaris available to the waterfall. Around 5km of off-road driving is required to reach the falls. I decided to take my safari to the waterfalls. The road was very bad, at many locations I scratched the belly of my Storme, fellow jeep travelers were looking at us as if we were coming from different planet. Finally we reached at the waterfall, the view of the waterfall amidst the forest was really mesmerizing, I could not stop me myself from jumping in to the waterfall, and the water was so cool even at noon. I spent few hours in the waterfall. The bath in the waterfall really rejuvenated my mind and body. Finally I reluctantly left the place with a promise to visit this place again.

DSC_0149.JPG
DSC_0152.JPG
DSC_0157.JPG
DSC_0159.JPG
DSC_0181.JPG
DSC_0219.JPG
DSC_0232.JPG
DSC_0236.JPG
DSC_0239.JPG
DSC_0243.JPG

Thread Starter #6
There is an entry fees for the vehicles and individuals, the place also offers accommodation facilities in the bungalows that are on offer for a rent. On the way back you can buy tea and cloves from the outlet of Ambanad Estate.

On the way back to home I decided to spend some time at Thenmala Dam.

Thread Starter #7
THENMALA DAM: Thenmala dam also known as Parappar Dam. It is the largest irrigation project in Kerala (Kallada Irrigation Project). There is a hydro power project; a power house is located just downstream of the dam. The view from the dam is spectacular.
There are options for boating in the reservoir organized by both the Thenmala Ecotourism and the Forest department separately. The Thenmala reservoir is in the midst of the hills, surrounded by the forest makes it a beautiful lake. Boating was at 4pm. I reached there on time and collected my ticket. Enjoyed the fantastic views of the lake, the surrounding hills and forest.
20150709_150752.JPG
20150709_150805.JPG
20150709_150841.JPG
20150709_152433.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG
Thenmala Dam (1).JPG
Thenmala Dam (2).JPG

Top Bottom