Am I Missing Something in Current Car Design Philosophy?

Thread Starter #1
I have come across thousands of people, blogs, articles, news, forums, who complained about TATA products looking similar. They complained about the smiling grille. All said, Nano (rear), Indica, Indigo, Marina, Vista, Manza, Aria are all the same.

Now my question is:

What about Hyundai? Eon, i10, Verna Fludic, Sonata, New Elantra ? Why they get away by using the term "Fluidic"?
To be frank I don't dislike the fluidic design but don't you feel that the same design is being used too much just like tha TATA did.
What are your thoughts my friends? please don't say its the family look. Cost cutting is of course a factor.

Last edited:
Re: Am I missing something in the current design philosophy?

I think there is nothing wrong in having same desgin its just that people are expecting a new age styling of the car overall .

I am actually not sure what people wants, and I am right in thinking that they themselves dont know what they want. In my personal view if you see, BMW, AUDI, Mercs all have similar styling. Front of all the cars for one brand is similar. So why people are just cribbing about TATA only. And about the fluidic designs by Hyundai, I just love hyundais only for their looks. [:D]. Nothing else.

BMW, AUDI, Mercs all have similar styling. Front of all the cars for one brand is similar. So why people are just cribbing about TATA only.
So is Volkswagen - Polo, Vento, Jetta, Passat all have the same facia.

For Skoda - Fabia, Rapid, Laura, Yati, Superb - all of them look like almost similar from front view and front quarter side view.

I have come across thousands of people, blogs, articles, news, forums, who complained about TATA products looking similar. They complained about the smiling grille. All said, Nano (rear), Indica, Indigo, Marina, Vista, Manza, Aria are all the same.

Now my question is:

What about Hyundai? Eon, i10, Verna Fludic, Sonata, New Elantra ? Why they get away by using the term "Fluidic"?
To be frank I don't dislike the fluidic design but don't you feel that the same design is being used too much just like tha TATA did.
What are your thoughts my friends? please don't say its the family look. Cost cutting is of course a factor.
Your concern is correct & even I too feel the same these days !! there are more number of people started thinking about the design of a vehicle these days and the similarity between model to model.

The reason of manufacturers may be the "family look" or costing cutting and something else too !! but they cannot get away with same designs in near future fooling around with a cosmetic makeover just changing the front grill to metallic, attaching a bigger/small boot and there is a day coming very soon where "DESIGN" also becomes a important buying cretiria then, your question will be answered well and yours & my concerns will get disappeared where every body will start looking at the design uniqueness first than checking the technical specs, FE, space, reliability, Service etc.,

Hope such day comes very soon !! where every model looks unique to itself[:)]

Last edited:

The design theme and same looking facia is something different i guess.
The hyundais look the same only among the verna,elantra. The design on other cars looks similar but not the same.

I think there have been enough rants on VW with their polo,vento and jettas. They look exactly the same save it from the front parking lights on the jetta.
Same goes for the skoda range with the fabia and the rapid.

With tatas except for the nano and the safari all the cars look the same. (read passenger cars not CVs)

nano was not going to win in any beauty contest and safari design is the same from the late nineties.

So is Volkswagen - Polo, Vento, Jetta, Passat all have the same facia.

For Skoda - Fabia, Rapid, Laura, Yati, Superb - all of them look like almost similar from front view and front quarter side view.
Today also I find it difficult to differentiate between Jetta and Passat, until I read their badge at rear. Same is with Vento and Polo, I can only differentiate them by looking at the fog light designs (polo have square ones and Vento have circular) or looking at the rear to check if there is boot or not. [:)]

I feel that the reason behind TATA's similar looking cars is because of the nature of their USP - SPACE (Tons of it) & Seat. The design of NANO/INDICA is definately helping them free up space in the interiors, no wonder why all Indica based designs have so much space inside them.

Most of the time TATA cars (2000 onwards) end up largely as Yellow boards (Except Safari & Manza) , so the design of TATA gives them what they need (Space, solid body, easier Tinker jobs - FC renewal, cheaper spares etc)

Best proof is NANO, look at the amount of space it has! For the same wheelbase, I dont think any other shape except this egg like design (No offence meant) can give such an airy interior.

Although Fluidic design based cars (hyundai - eon, i10, i20 etc) are similar looking, they are somewhat fresh to the Indian market so although similar they really look better than the aging TATA (indica) design. I feel Hyundai Eon is still the best looking hatch in the recently looking cars.

Thread Starter #10
I'm not saying that all Tata cars look alike, rather I feel the industry and media are somewhat biased, as far the "smiling grilles" or "fluidic designs" are concerned.

I am actually not sure what people wants, and I am right in thinking that they themselves dont know what they want. In my personal view if you see, BMW, AUDI, Mercs all have similar styling. Front of all the cars for one brand is similar. So why people are just cribbing about TATA only. And about the fluidic designs by Hyundai, I just love hyundais only for their looks. Nothing else.
Yes but buddy, all Mercs look different. BMW, Audi..yes, but surely not Merc. Same is the case with Honda.

merc.jpg

merc-1.jpg

Top Bottom