All-New Tata Safari (Gravitas) Launched

350Z

Core Team
XT Safari MT Royale Blue (without Sunroof) 7 seater. Is it the right one?

XT+ Harrier Dark & XT Safari MT were very similar in prices.
It totally depends on personal preference. As we discussed earlier, if 7-seats aren't a must, it’s safe to go ahead with Harrier. However, since you’re again considering the Safari, it seems you’ve a soft corner for it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@350Z, Reasons for considering Safari over Harrier are:

1) XT+ Harrier Dark & XT MT Safari are of similar price post discount negotiation over insurance.

2) Since price difference is negligible, I think buying a 7 seater over 5 seater is a good idea.

3) Newest SUV with a iconic image. The image and cult persona won't ever go away.

4) Want to first hand experience the difference between the new & old safari including the niggles (if they come up).

5) I promised my TAIgers to complete the Trilogy with a big SUV, so, A Promise is a Promise. Infact I remember @bhvm asking me if it would be a 'Safari' some day!!

6) Want to express my sentiments & write about the car in most detailed manner in the ownership review that will include the other 2 as well. Just the way I wrote for 1st Tigor.

7) Mom wanted a Black color Harrier but I convinced her for Safari XT sighting better overall package in comparison to Harrier.

8) So far, the Noida dealer hasn't really disappointed me in terms of after sales. The gentleman whom we both met has been really courteous and helpful.

9) By chance if I get married then going the family way I would be needing a bigger car while traveling with parents.

10) XT+ harrier & safari offer sunroof, that's useless for me as in NCR you can't roll down windows forget using sunroof

11) The 6 Seater Captain Seat version has very thin armrest with each middle row seats. That to me isn't comfortable. The 7 seater has better one.

12) Last but not the least, the big gigantic size complements my 3.5 BHK physique.

Now, on the flip side, I am planning to consult / suggest the dealer to replace the OEM front grill of the Safari with that of the Adventure Pack. The all Black one. I am not fond of that OEM grill.

I am open to suggestions with regards to my choice of Safari. It shall be chauffeur driven and all I need to do is to dive down in the middle row seat with a can of Diet Coke.

Regards
Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member
@bhvm @vikyjoshi @350Z

Regards
Akash
Yes, Go for Gravitas over Harrier. Infact, this new entrant will cannibalize the Harrier Sales.
On the other hand, you might want to wait for all new XUV due in April-May.
As history suggests, Mahindras have always beaten Tatas in performance & Features.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Yes, Go for Gravitas over Harrier. Infact, this new entrant will cannibalize the Harrier Sales.
Very True and quite evident.

I believe M&M hasn't yet finalized the launch timing. Haven't ever owned a M&M but yes had quite a liking for Scorpio post the 1st Singham movie, specially White color.

As history suggests, Mahindras have always beaten Tatas in performance & Features.
Your opinions will matter a lot as you and @mayankdixit both own TML & MnM vehicles. As per my view, isn't the XUV platform almost a decade old now? Won't it be nice to opt for a new platform with updated looks & features?

@J.Ravi Sir, can you put in some view with reference to the performance of the 2.0L Diesel of Harrier please. Both Safari & Harrier have 2.0L Engine.

Regards
Akash

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. The new XUV has Significantly updated Interiors & Exteriors compared to current ones. If speculations about dimension changes are true, it might has a new chassis as well. I would suggest to wait. Safari-Gravitas will always be available if you did'nt like the XUV. I understand the emotional value to writing Review & Creating a Trilogy, But sometimes cold, logical decisions makes most sense.

2. Performance of Safari 2.0 170 BHP in sports mode is comparable to Old XUV 140 BHP (no Sports mode). In city & eco mode, Safari would feel slightly slower, but smoother.

3. I wish Tata would Stop playing "catch up" and Launch some Market leaders, Like they used to in 98-Safari or Dicor Days.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
1. The new XUV has Significantly updated Interiors & Exteriors compared to current ones. If speculations about dimension changes are true, it might has a new chassis as well. I would suggest to wait. Safari-Gravitas will always be available if you did'nt like the XUV. I understand the emotional value to writing Review & Creating a Trilogy, But sometimes cold, logical decisions makes most sense.
Fair enough. Tell me something, as I am not a pro-off-road enthusiast, in comparison, if I plan for some mild off roading or say soft off-roading, which one would be better i.e A Harrier, A Safari or the new XUV 5OO? As I know, Safari 2021 isn't a 4x4 and neither is Harrier and (assuming) XUV 500 won't be either too. So, which of them would be handling better on off-road without being a 4x4?

2. Performance of Safari 2.0 170 BHP in sports mode is comparable to Old XUV 140 BHP (no Sports mode). In city & eco mode, Safari would feel slightly slower, but smoother.
For me this calls for a TD of Safari 2021. Though I was planning to opt for Safari 2021 even without a TD but now I shall do a TD for sure.

3. I wish Tata would Stop playing "catch up" and Launch some Market leaders, Like they used to in 98-Safari or Dicor Days.
I think the upcoming Sierra might be the answer.

Regards
Akash

can you put in some view with reference to the performance of the 2.0L Diesel of Harrier please. Both Safari & Harrier have 2.0L Engine.
I drove my son's Harrier XZ+ MT more than 1,000 km, both on highway and in city. I test-drove Harrier XZA+ AT twice. I also test-drove Compass diesel 2.0 l MT. The common factor here is Fiat-sourced powerful 2.0 l diesel engine. Of the three, I liked Compass MT the best of the three, followed by Harrier AT with Harrier MT, the least of all the three. I am yet to test-drive Compass 4x4 AT diesel. I hate Harrier MT for the following:
1614859274740.jpg

Somehow, I am yet to get acquainted with the driving in Harrier MT even after driving 1,000 km. I used to stall the engine in city driving even in the second gear, which is an irritating feature. It did not happen in Compass MT although they share the same engine. I don't know, why Tata Motors tuned it like that. On the other hand, I liked Harrier AT, which was very sweet and friendly to drive. On the highways, whether MT or AT, Harrier drives like a rocket. Even 120 kmph is not noticeable, but for the irritating continuous warning chime. If at all I buy Harrier, it would be an AT and definitely not an MT. But, I am waiting for the new gen XUV 500 4x4.

I checked Safari at TAFE Access, Chennai. I liked it for its 18" wheel, all disc brakes, electronic parking brake, etc. Ingress and egress were easy in the 7-seater version. But, I did not like its bigger dimensions compared to Harrier [more weight, length and height]. I checked Compass 4x4 AT diesel S variant too. I liked it very much except for its pricing.

So in nutshell, if 7-seater is a must, my pick would be Safari, otherwise, it is Harrier.

bhvm

Honoured Member
if I plan for some mild off roading or say soft off-roading, which one would be better i.e A Harrier, A Safari or the new XUV 5OO? As I know, Safari 2021 isn't a 4x4 and neither is Harrier and (assuming) XUV 500 won't be either too. So, which of them would be handling better on off-road without being a 4x4?
XUV Comes with AWD (all wheel Drive) Since 2011. I think New gen XUV will get a better version of it.

You cannot compare a 4x4 or AWD with an 4x2... period... never.
The pulling power from all 4 wheels along with 25% torque distribution at each wheel is incomparable to any 4x2.
A 4x4 gets going when things get tough as well as causes less damage to the environment.

Now, if you compare 4x2 variants of Either the cars, I belive their capability would be similar. Tatas Winning by a slight margin as they have better tuning for their ABS and EBD. The XUV Cuts out power too early and aggressively, making it more likely to get stuck in sand.

I used to stall the engine in city driving even in the second gear, which is an irritating feature. It did not happen in Compass MT although they share the same engine. I don't know, why Tata Motors tuned it like that.
I reviewer specifically pointed to this issue with Modern Tata-Fiat 2.0 Engines. The tuning is not correct.
The Original safari was always a "Dump the clutch and here we go" vehicle. These ones are totally opposite.

But the issue does not stop here. Safari-Gravitas will Auto apply the Electronic parking brake once the engine clips off. Do that on a busy city street, and the Fools following you with no respect to distance/Common Sense will bump into you. Which means Bumper damage along with lots of useless 'Talk'
There are stupid features like these which will make a consumer pull one's hair out.... Ouch!

Even 120 kmph is not noticeable, but for the irritating continuous warning chime
I guess that's a Move by Government hence manufacturer has no say.
The chime saps your attention & Gives you a headache. Both of these things are totally opposite of what's needed for a safe, Higher speed drive.

So in nutshell, if 7-seater is a must, my pick would be Safari, otherwise, it is Harrier.
None of these are 7 seaters. Be it Mahindra's or Tata's. If 7 seats is a priority, by all means look further.
Think of These Giants as very spacious 5 seaters with a big boot.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
XUV Comes with AWD (all wheel Drive) Since 2011. I think New gen XUV will get a better version of it.
OK

You cannot compare a 4x4 or AWD with an 4x2... period... never.
Of Course not. No comparison. It was just that the earlier gen Safari storme was a 4x4 but this one presently isn't a 4x4.

The pulling power from all 4 wheels along with 25% torque distribution at each wheel is incomparable to any 4x2.
Agreed

Now, if you compare 4x2 variants of Either the cars, I belive their capability would be similar. Tatas Winning by a slight margin as they have better tuning for their ABS and EBD. The XUV Cuts out power too early and aggressively, making it more likely to get stuck in sand.
[thumbsup] But the only fact being M&M isn't mentioning a unveiling date for the new gen XUV-500

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #146
Gravitas. Still not forgiven Tata motors for this blunder? Hmmm.. nice. For me I could have still called this new Safari a Safari had, they provided
1. Different front than Harrier. Distinctly different not chrome treatment
2. Slightly more height and
3. As you mentioned dump the clutch type of vehicle.

@bhvm @vikyjoshi @350Z

Regards
Akash
Yes Aakash.
I am sure you must be aware of but let me iterate
XT will not have jazzy instrument cluster with 7 inch screen. it will be analog with small 3 or 4 inch LED type display.
The ICE will be smaller than XZ what you generally see in the show room.
May not have electronic parking brake but may have lever aircraft styled one.
should have the Safari-sique Stepped up roof (if you opting for non sunroof version)

It has black seats which is much better than white when we have maintain it.
Check the configurator to give you exact idea of how your car will look like. XT is also seems to be pretty featured with TPMS, Alloys, Rear wash wipe, Fog lamps.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Yes Aakash.
I am sure you must be aware of but let me iterate
XT will not have jazzy instrument cluster with 7 inch screen. it will be analog with small 3 or 4 inch LED type display.
The ICE will be smaller than XZ what you generally see in the show room.
May not have electronic parking brake but may have lever aircraft styled one.
should have the Safari-sique Stepped up roof (if you opting for non sunroof version)
It has black seats which is much better than white when we have maintain it.
I have finally decided, XT+ Dark Edition Harrier. The waiting is of 2 months approx. As a blessing in disguise, Mom loved the Harrier in Black. She is so impressed with it and has only good things to say about the way it looks in Black. An all Black SUV!

Check the configurator to give you exact idea of how your car will look like. XT is also seems to be pretty featured with TPMS, Alloys, Rear wash wipe, Fog lamps.
XT+ it is with the sunroof.

@bhvm, @vikyjoshi. do the rear reflectors (placed below tail light) of Harrier XT+ illuminate like lights too or they are just reflectors?

Secondly, requesting the pro-photoshop users to please do a small favor, Can any of you turn the front DRLs of Harrier into RED and share it here? As OEM they are White.

As a Safari user Since 21 years, I guess I will need 21 more to Forgive them... LOL!
That's Buzzard[lol]

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #149
Dark is just too good. and 2 months waiting period for Harrier even after an Year of launch is simply wow. Will see lots of Harriers on the roads. And out of Harrier and Safari, i would vote for the original. So Harrier it is for me. Safari though a big big brand this car looks like Harrier doppelganger. Personally i am ok with any color as long as it is black. The Misty blue for Adventure edition for a change as got my liking and probably I might have gone for that color had i been in market. I am still happy with my Storme and loving it every day even today.

What to say to you, you already have 2 Tata cars in your garage, so need not say more on Tata. Am sure you will enjoy your Harrier as much I have enjoyed my storme.

Regarding the rear reflectors in my storme they are just reflectors and do not illuminate like those on cycles.

Why do you want red. May not look good. Yes Black and red is a very hit combo, however, that would look Shouting after market mod. and I prefer my car looking stock. Also these DRLs double up as Indicators so if (i am correct) you want to change you may want look at LEDS having Red and amber colours.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Why do you want red. May not look good. Yes Black and red is a very hit combo, however, that would look Shouting after market mod. and I prefer my car looking stock. Also these DRLs double up as Indicators so if (i am correct) you want to change you may want look at LEDS having Red and amber colours.
@vikyjoshi atleast ek baar dekhne do yaar. IF it doesn't look good I'll give up the idea. If you are able to provide it then we'll surely share a diet coke once you are in Delhi bro.

@bhvm you too try your hand on photoshop

Regards
Akash

Top Bottom