All-New Mahindra Thar (2020) Unveiled

Eagerly waiting for the launch of the new Mahindra Thar, hope Mahindra prices it correctly tomorrow as the #1 Thar fetched a large sum of money in the auction. And Mahindra must price it more efficiently without considering the fact that #1 Thar's auction sale price.

Nothing baffling really. The Thar looks like the Wrangler - period. Rather than going for the generic looks of the also-ran FWD hatch-on-steroids brigade (basically the inverted jelly-mould shape with minor variations, replicated by everyone and their cousin!), M&M did the sensible thing. And having learned from their Roxor experience in the US market, I'd feel that M&M is smart enough to stay from such controversial markets. In any case I feel that the domestic demand would be such that M&M would be hard-pressed to keep up.

Plagiarising car design is a global art form. I have been seeing this from the late-90s, when China started flexing their automotive muscles. I remember how we laughed (I was with Mitsui's car carrier fleet as a Ch. Eng. at the time) in Dalian when we saw something called "WindCruiser", looking like a Land Cruiser - rows upon rows of them, parked in the loading bay. All destined for W.Africa.

I read recently that the new Thar has been equipped with BLD (Brake Locking Differential) together with the other standard SUV features. The BLD would be another feather in M&M's cap, since the Thar would probably be the first offering with this feature in this segment. I remember reading long ago (during the Iran-Iraq war) that the original HUMVEE was equipped with this novel feature, albeit in a more rudimentary form. It struck me as an extra ordinary device at the time - giving the vehicle incredible off-road capability. Using a normal open differential together with automatic, progressive, selective wheel braking, it would ensure positive traction even with just one wheel on terra firma! And all this without the huge expense, complexity and power-hungry mechanicals of the Torsen diff, Haldex clutch or their ilk! Perfect for off-road buffs on a budget.
Way to go, M&M!

The BLD reference that I mentioned above I read in 'Rushlane'. I haven't read about it on other fora, so I'm not sure how authentic the information is.

Eagerly waiting for the launch of the new Mahindra Thar, hope Mahindra prices it correctly tomorrow as the #1 Thar fetched a large sum of money in the auction. And Mahindra must price it more efficiently without considering the fact that #1 Thar's auction sale price.
I hope so too. This gives rise to the vague inkling that perhaps the #1 auction sale price may play a part in the prices to be announced today![:D]

Nairrk

Honoured Member
2020 Mahindra Thar launched at Rs 9.8 lakhs

Thar-featured.jpg

Mahindra has launched the much-awaited second-generation of the Thar. The all-new SUV is priced at Rs 9.8 lakhs, ex-showroom, all-India, making it an extremely well-priced product. The all-new Thar is a massive upgrade over the previous-generation Thar in every way. Mahindra has also announced that customers can now book the all-new Thar officially and the deliveries will start by 1st November. Below are the variants of all-new Thar and respective prices. There are a total of 9 variants of the all-new Mahindra Thar and they are divided into groups – AX and LX.

Dashboard_HighlightFold.jpg

Skeleton_Desktop_1920x745.jpg

All-Terrain_Desktop_1920x745.jpg

More details/Engine specs/features

Even though the bookings of the new Thar is gradually increasing still it can't be used as a family vehicle for a long trip. Getting in and out, rear of the Thar is even a big task for a fit adult. It lacks boot space, so it can't be used for airport trips and the boot is best usable when both the rear seats are folded/taken out.

350Z

Core Team
Mahindra has introduced Thar branded merchandise as well as accessories. I’m sharing the list below. These items are on sale at dealers and online (m2all.com).

Mahindra-Thar-Merchandise.png

Mahindra-Thar-Lifestyle-Accessories.png

Mahindra-Thar-Off-Road-Accessories.png

Drive Safe,
350Z

350Z

Core Team
Sharing a quick update: Mahindra Thar has received 15,000+ bookings since its launch on 2nd October. Most of the bookings are for the automatic transmission variant and 57% customers are first time car buyers.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yesterday I saw the thar in grey color. It was hard top and not sure whether it was automatic or not. But the car looks absolutely smashing. Only point from pure design point of view that it looks very similar to wrangler. Get bit of chinese feeling.
But over all the looks super premium.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Mahindra Thar Bookings Cross 20,000 Mark; Up To 7 Months Waiting Period

Mahindra and Mahindra has received over 20,000 bookings for its new-generation Thar 4x4 SUV. The company, which launched the SUV on October 2, 2020, crossed the new booking milestone within a month. Mahindra says that the demand for the Hard Top automatic and manual trims, both in diesel and petrol options, have particularly surpassed all expectations. Due to the growing demand, Mahindra says that there will be a waiting period of 5 to 7 months depending on the variant. Having said that, to meet increased orders, the company will be ramping up production from 2,000 units per month to 3,000 units per month by January.

Read

New Mahindra Thar secures 4 Star safety rating by GNCAP

A very high score on child safety rating too. Our home grown boys Mahindra and Tata are indeed walking the talk on safety. Kudos to them. [cheers]

EnqNDaFVgAAAbZI.jpg

The ratings are confidence inspiring and it looks like the highest ever for the child occupant protection ! Thumbs up Mahindra . Only Indian manufacturers cares about safety it seems.
1606298339183.jpg

#BREAKING

The second-gen
@MahindraRise
Thar has secured a four-star adult and child occupant protection rating in the latest
@GlobalNCAP
crash tests.

Source: https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...941741056?s=20

Top Bottom