All-New Mahindra Thar: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #106
Some more of the offroad drive with Terratigers

Hello Sandeep,
I took delivery of our Thar ( LX petrol, manual, hardtop) a couple of days ago and to be honest, driving it is a new experience. I am still getting comfortable with the features and handling (the relatively poor rear visibility where the parking camera is a genuine help) since the parking area in our complex is not lavish. Attaching a couple of photos here. There is one thing that I would like to mention though - after driving the Scorpio for 14 years, driving the Thar is a sublime pleasure! It is smooth (the petrol engine has a lot to do with this I know!) and feels really light, despite its 1700+ kg kerb weight. Must remember this.
We would like to hear from you about the New Thar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some Videos from last weekend drive with Terratigers

Drop & Up

Drop Down & Push Up

Cross Country
Great videos John - I envy you and the Terratigers for your enthusiasm! The video of the rock-crawling stretch is something for which you really deserve kudos. And Mahindra too deserve all credit for having come up with a vehicle that doubles as a regular 9 to 5 commuter and at the same time is a serious and totally credible off-roader - in stock form! The low ratio tr. case (with a crawl ratio of 42:1) is a magic wand!
Unfortunately we are still stuck elsewhere due to various issues and so I have no excursions to add to this thread.

Thread Starter #111
Booked Scorpio-N Z6 D MT Deep Forest, and to my suprise the estimated deliver is on 9th Feb 2023. I had to check the year again :-).
Second Vehicle from Mahindra, Loyal Customer ;-)

Now the Waiting Begins

Thread Starter #113
Update on my Thar, after last off-roading and water wading 4-Wheel an issue popped-up. After disengaging 4-Wheel drive, the dashboard was still showing 4-wheel drive mode. Even though the vehicle was in 2-wheel drive mode, but the dashboard showed otherwise. When the vehicle was completely stitched off and switched on, the dashboard rightly showed 2-wheel drive mode. High speed drive was slightly harsh epically between 80kmph to 100kmph.

After many trials from the service station and 3 visits the issue was rectified with replacing the 4-Wheel e-drive actuator. Now the vehicle is back to normal operation and smoothness both in highway and off-road drives. The possible cause of the issue was deep water wading.

Last edited:

bhvm

Honoured Member
After many trials from the service station and 3 visits the issue was rectified with replacing the 4-Wheel e-drive actuator
I still fail to understand the prevalence of Electronic shift 4x4s. These are always getting intro trouble. I would always prefer and oldschool small gearstick like in Gypsy or 1st gen fortuner. Super reliable. Sadly no new cars seem to have one.

I still fail to understand the prevalence of Electronic shift 4x4s. These are always getting intro trouble. I would always prefer and oldschool small gearstick like in Gypsy or 1st gen fortuner. Super reliable. Sadly no new cars seem to have one.
Reason is simple, cost cutting. It requires more hardware which is durable for the longetivity. If replaced by a sensor/ electronic differential control, it is pretty much easy without any complexities and cost economical.

Thread Starter #118
Planning to upgrade to 100/130w bulbs with cut out & relay on my stock headlight. Kindly provide your feedback, I do continuously drive for 3 hours and would this damage the light dome/ reflectors?

So much in the name of progress ! I agree totally bhvm! Any new bit of tech - specially if it has a fragrance of high-tech glamour attached to it, becomes the darling of both mfrs & consumers, regardless of the fact that it may have serious reliability issues. And together with the glamour if there is a possibility of reduction in manufacturing costs too, then the issue is a no-brainer!

Top Bottom