All-New Mahindra Thar: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #61
How is the straight line stability above 120 kmph. Is it confident enough to do such high speeds. Also tell about the braking performance
The straight-line high-speed confidence is good. I have personally driven all the way up to 160KMPH, but the wind noise from the upright windshield is very evident from 120KMPH. To manage with the wind noise the music system volume needs to be turned up.

The brake holds good and is progressive. It tends to throw forward passengers sitting in the second row and the Thar nose dives to stop hard. I would strongly recommend all passenger in Thar to be wearing seat belts always. I have personally done a hard braking from 110KMPH to 20KMPH and was impressed how the vehicle handled but the nose dive will make you feel uncomfortable.

Thread Starter #63
Congrats @SandeepJohn for your new ride.
Thar and any 4x4 is always a special vehicle to own and drive. Cheers man. Enjoyed reading the thread and pictures.
I am also happy to read that , the vehicle is more stable ( drivable like car) post 120kmph.
keep updating! Nice choice of colour BTW.
Not to be treated as a car. Need to be mindful that this is ladder on frame vehicle with high Center of gravity.

Thread Starter #64
Took out my Honda Mobilio for a highway drive, total of 900Kms in 36 hours. Drove from Chennai to Madurai and back.
The following were the comparisons between Honda Mobilio Diesel & my Thar,
  • Mobilio is more stable at high speeds & corners
  • Mobilio has more road & engine noise at highway speeds, but Thar had wind noise from windshield
  • Kids felt more comfortable in Mobilio than in Thar
  • Steering is lighter in Mobilio than in Thar
  • Clutch is lighter in Thar than in Mobilio. Mobilio has covered 65,000Kms and Thar 6,200Kms, true comparison would only be after few more thousand Kms in Thar
  • Thar’s clutch has to be fully pressed to be engaged, but Mobilio’s clutch engages with little press
  • Mobilio’s brakes very sharp, Thar’s brakes are not so sharp
  • Overall driving comfort was similar in both of these vehicles
Both vehicles are of different breed and built for different purpose all together. One must understand these characteristics to drive in a proper way. Driving with care would bring out the best in these vehicles.
I did have TATA Manza & Honda Mobilio together, but after driving Mobilio I did not have any confidence to take Manza at highway speeds. I had always felt Mobilio’s brakes and handling was way better than Manza’s. With Thar I am confident at highway speeds.

Took out my Honda Mobilio for a highway drive, total of 900Kms in 36 hours. Drove from Chennai to Madurai and back.
The following were the comparisons between Honda Mobilio Diesel & my Thar,
  • Mobilio is more stable at high speeds & corners
  • Mobilio has more road & engine noise at highway speeds, but Thar had wind noise from windshield
  • Kids felt more comfortable in Mobilio than in Thar
  • Steering is lighter in Mobilio than in Thar
  • Clutch is lighter in Thar than in Mobilio. Mobilio has covered 65,000Kms and Thar 6,200Kms, true comparison would only be after few more thousand Kms in Thar
  • Thar’s clutch has to be fully pressed to be engaged, but Mobilio’s clutch engages with little press
  • Mobilio’s brakes very sharp, Thar’s brakes are not so sharp
  • Overall driving comfort was similar in both of these vehicles
Both vehicles are of different breed and built for different purpose all together. One must understand these characteristics to drive in a proper way. Driving with care would bring out the best in these vehicles.
I did have TATA Manza & Honda Mobilio together, but after driving Mobilio I did not have any confidence to take Manza at highway speeds. I had always felt Mobilio’s brakes and handling was way better than Manza’s. With Thar I am confident at highway speeds.
Thanks for the above Sandeep - it gives a fair idea of the characteristics of the two vehicles.
When you say "With Thar I am confident at highway speeds" - confident in comparison to Manza or Mobilio?

One query Sandeep - does the VIN no of the new Thar continue as on earlier Mahindra cars with 17 digits? Or has it been shortened for the new Thar?
I had requested the dealer to send me the VIN no before delivery. He sent me an 8 digit no just now and said that a customer had cancelled his booking and the vehicle (with this 8 digit VIN) was available if I was interested. Can you clear up this doubt which is playing on my mind?

Thread Starter #69
The Vin number is 17 digits and the 8 digits provided by the dealer are the last 8.
The VIN decoding for Mahindira is as below, (i have blanked my serial number)
Untitled.jpg

Your 10th & 12th digit would be different.

The serial number mentioned in VIN is different in the Serial number mentioned in the Metal plat fixed in passenger side dash board.

Don’t miss a chance to pick up the vehicle. Take a call if it’s a different model/ colour. What was the model you have booked and your current availability. Do check the month of production.

Last edited:
The Vin number is 17 digits and the 8 digits provided by the dealer are the last 8.
The VIN decoding for Mahindira is as below, (i have blanked my serial number)
View attachment 287300
Your 10th & 12th digit would be different.

The serial number mentioned in VIN is different in the Serial number mentioned in the Metal plat fixed in passenger side dash board.

Don’t miss a chance to pick up the vehicle. Take a call if it’s a different model/ colour. What was the model you have booked and your current availability. Do check the month of production.
Thank you, Sandeep - that was a big help. I shall get in touch with him. But I am sticking to my schedule (1st week August) because all arrangements at my end are geared to that period. Specially the filing of my returns (mid-July as always) in Mumbai - like all law-abiding citizens![:D]

Thread Starter #71
Took out Thar for some beach sand off-roading along ECR with my kids and had a good time. Did random search and found some beautiful places. I did not drive near to the shore to avoid sea water splash on the vehicle. I was cautious to drive in safe places as I was alone and did not have another vehicle to pull me out. I had taken a long handle shovel, bow shackles & recovery snatch straps to help me get out if I get stuck.

After reaching the road, I had noticed that 4 wheel drive had not disengaged even after moving the gear lever to 2-High and dashboard indicating 2-High. I had to drive the vehicle in reverse for few meters to disengage to 2-High, as mentioned in the owner’s manual.

Some clicks from Saturday drive,
20210626_160259.jpg

20210626_154542.jpg

20210626_154455.jpg

20210626_154429.jpg

Thread Starter #72
I had a surprise today, as I was driving my Thar the dashboard cluster had switched off and then restarted with warning sign glowing for ESP, Hill Descent Control & Hill Hold Control. After switching off the engine and restarting all the warning lights had disappeared and was back to normal. I had also check for Hill Hold control and was functioning normally. What do you think I should do, take to service centre, or wait for 10,000Kms service? I have currently driven 6,800Kms.

Click of the dashboard with the warning lights on…
Untitled.jpg

Sandeep, my experience with the Scorpio (which, as I've mentioned before, I used happily for 14+ years) taught me that such electronic glitches do occur once in a while.
I found that these were usually just glitches & not functionally disabling. But since in this case it has occurred well within warranty (and in case you are planning another trip), you can take it to the ASS. And if the distance to the service centre is far (as in my case) drop an e-mail. I have done this on a couple of occasions and they have asked me to bring the car over.

Thread Starter #74
Thank you gearhead2 for your quick response.

I had posted this issue among Thar owners in Facebook & Whatsup, just to understand that I am not alone on this issue. Many others have faced this issue once in their Thar. Also had a suggestion to check the battery terminals for its intactness and the power & ground to the ECU.

I have checked and found ok for the battery power terminals & ECU powers. As of now will keep driving and would check in the next service.

Top Bottom