All New Honda Jazz i-DTec MT Driven

And i couldn't understand if you have driven the car a lot or not. If not please do and you will understand
I own a Jazz - 2011 model.

Your post is self explanatory. You are habitual at changing gears at 2000 rpm whereas in Jazz gear shifting can be delayed beyond 3000 rpm.

About engine pick up beyond 2500 rpm, you missed my point regarding momentum and 2nd gear.

Further, I agree that i10 engine is optimised for 2000rpm but one can not extrapolate the same to all other engine, specially the rev happy Honda engines. BEP (best efficiency point) is a engine specific characteristics.

I tried my best to give you a proper perspective and you may or may not give a heed to that.

But what I wish that readers here get a view from both ends and may not swayed away by your struggle and corresponding deduction that the engine is pathetic.

Your driving style does not suit the engine and hence you may feel the engine pathetic. I respect your view point but its not portraying the complete story.

Honda Jazz Review 1.2 Petrol | Cars First Drive | Premium hatchbacks | Autocar India

Readers may also refer to the above link to know more about the engine charaterstics as stated by ACI wherein the engine has been singled out for praise due to its easy ambleness in city.

I own a Jazz - 2011 model.

Your post is self explanatory. You are habitual at changing gears at 2000 rpm whereas in Jazz gear shifting can be delayed beyond 3000 rpm.

About engine pick up beyond 2500 rpm, you missed my point regarding momentum and 2nd gear.

Further, I agree that i10 engine is optimised for 2000rpm but one can not extrapolate the same to all other engine, specially the rev happy Honda engines. BEP (best efficiency point) is a engine specific characteristics.

I tried my best to give you a proper perspective and you may or may not give a heed to that.

But what I wish that readers here get a view from both ends and may not swayed away by your struggle and corresponding deduction that the engine is pathetic.

Your driving style does not suit the engine and hence you may feel the engine pathetic. I respect your view point but its not portraying the complete story.

Honda Jazz Review 1.2 Petrol | Cars First Drive | Premium hatchbacks | Autocar India

Readers may also refer to the above link to know more about the engine charaterstics as stated by ACI wherein the engine has been singled out for praise due to its easy ambleness in city.
I agree with the points you mentioned. I own the 4th gen Honda City, and while driving in the initial days of ownership I felt the engine pull is not at all enough as I was changing gears under <2000 rpm. But only after I searched on how i-vtec engine works, I came to know that my driving style is the culprit. I changed my driving style and now it is a breeze to drive my City.

And regarding the 'fuel efficiency dip', this is my personal experience. By manitaining the engine at correct rpm (around 2000rpm in 5th gear) have yielded me better fuel efficiency than keeping the revs low and thinking (why this thing does not move as I intended). And for the 'hyundai stuff of giving sugegstions for changing gears', I had taken a little long test drive in Hyundai i20 (not the elite i20) and I tried to drive as per the suggestions given for gear change. Man, that was really pathetic, and I would like to know if the mentioned 'pathetic i-vtec engine' in new Jazz also behaves the same way.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ nuvo autocar mentions this "It feels quite gutless below 4000rpm and you have to constantly downshift to avoid getting bogged down. Drivability is further hampered by the significant gap between second and third gear ratios. "
I rest my case.
I also read that it takes 13.xx seconds for 0-100 so what you are saying about mid and high end torque must be true. But i couldn't test that and for me the jazz would have been used only in the city. For highway we have the verna.

@ pavi - again by ivtec i mean 1.2 in jazz. Not 1.2 in brio , not 1.5 in city.
If you want to compare the power please td the 1.6 verna.

Anyways, you are comparing i20 with city and i am comparing jazz with i20. Please do back to back td and you will get to know.

And once more elite i20 had linear power delivery after 1900 rpm and jazz didn't move till 2500 rpm. And when it reached the 2500 mark i had to downshift because of the traffic. 15 minutes TD , couldn't take the car in 4th gear.
And like you said engine efficiency is best at 2k , you will feel like driving uphill on a slope in the jazz till 2500 rpm. Again do a td.

Last edited:
Did you not bother to read complete review? Quoting complete part so that you may not misled others.

The Jazz responds smartly to a dab on the accelerator and feels quite perky at low speeds. Ambling in traffic is quite easy and part-throttle response is pretty good. However, Honda motors work best at high revs, where they almost seem more at home and the Jazz’s motor is no different. It gets a second wind past 5000rpm and races to its 6500rpm redline. Flat-out acceleration is pretty strong, considering the size of the motor. Zero to 100kph comes up in 13.2seconds with 120 taking a total of 18.6sec. This easily makes the Jazz the fastest of the 1.2 petrol brigade. This engineis also very refined. Idle is almost inaudible, the motor purrs at low engine speeds and it’s only when you are really pushing it to the maximum that it gets slightly louder.

If there is a flaw in this engine it’s the weak midrange. Peak torque is a decent 11.2kgm but it is developed at a high 4800rpm. It feels quite gutless below 4000rpm and you have to constantly downshift to avoid getting bogged down. Drivability is further hampered by the significant gap between second and third gear ratios. It’s just as well that the slick-shifting gearbox is an absolute delight to use.

Anyway, I have now realized reading your posts (including your verna review) that I am duped into internet trollling.

I turned out out to be the most stupid here who is trying to give engineering explanation to a person who picks brakes with less bite in order to prevent accident.

Last time I am replying to you (late learning from the mistakes).

I had taken test drive of Hyndai i20 not when I had Honda City rather I had WagonR at that time (which I still maintain with me). So I had compared it with segment lower WagonR. Do I need to add more lines!!!!!

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Did you not bother to read complete review? Quoting complete part so that you may not misled others.

The Jazz responds smartly to a dab on the accelerator and feels quite perky at low speeds. Ambling in traffic is quite easy and part-throttle response is pretty good. However, Honda motors work best at high revs, where they almost seem more at home and the Jazz’s motor is no different. It gets a second wind past 5000rpm and races to its 6500rpm redline. Flat-out acceleration is pretty strong, considering the size of the motor. Zero to 100kph comes up in 13.2seconds with 120 taking a total of 18.6sec. This easily makes the Jazz the fastest of the 1.2 petrol brigade. This engineis also very refined. Idle is almost inaudible, the motor purrs at low engine speeds and it’s only when you are really pushing it to the maximum that it gets slightly louder.

If there is a flaw in this engine it’s the weak midrange. Peak torque is a decent 11.2kgm but it is developed at a high 4800rpm. It feels quite gutless below 4000rpm and you have to constantly downshift to avoid getting bogged down. Drivability is further hampered by the significant gap between second and third gear ratios. It’s just as well that the slick-shifting gearbox is an absolute delight to use.

Anyway, I have now realized reading your posts (including your verna review) that I am duped into internet trollling.

I turned out out to be the most stupid here who is trying to give engineering explanation to a person who picks brakes with less bite in order to prevent accident.

Last time I am replying to you (late learning from the mistakes).
did you read my whole reply ? check my edit time. i did mention the 0-100 kmph speeds and the person who is interested to buy this will obviously make a whole in depth review. my requirements are not for highway use , i am least concerned about that. don't you get it ?

you are adamant on your statements that jazz has good high end , did i say that it's bad ? please do quote if i did.
i just said it's pathetic under 2500 rpm , was i wrong ? no. i took statements from the autocar which i felt and quoted it. nothing misleading about it.
i never got to check the car above 55kmph how can i write my review for the same ?
you own the car , you are defending it. that's it. and about my verna review , i don't know what you read but i guess it's one of the least biased reports on this forum.

I had taken test drive of Hyndai i20 not when I had Honda City rather I had WagonR at that time (which I still maintain with me). So I had compared it with segment lower WagonR. Do I need to add more lines!!!!!
lol. then you are in a habit to compare cars in different segments. please don't compare your city with a mercedes.

just so you know cars like wagonR and santro's weigh much less than the other segments car like jazz and the i20 and they have good low end torque since these are budget cars and should be easy to drive in the city.
are you aware of these jargons ? i guess you are not. please do a thorough study on these and then you will come to know what i am talking about.
and you can keep adding lines , your lines will just take some place and nothing else.[roll]

did you read my whole reply ? check my edit time. i did mention the 0-100 kmph speeds and the person who is interested to buy this will obviously make a whole in depth review. my requirements are not for highway use , i am least concerned about that. don't you get it ?

you are adamant on your statements that jazz has good high end , did i say that it's bad ? please do quote if i did.
i just said it's pathetic under 2500 rpm , was i wrong ? no. i took statements from the autocar which i felt and quoted it. nothing misleading about it.
i never got to check the car above 55kmph how can i write my review for the same ?
you own the car , you are defending it. that's it. and about my verna review , i don't know what you read but i guess it's one of the least biased reports on this forum.

lol. then you are in a habit to compare cars in different segments. please don't compare your city with a mercedes.

just so you know cars like wagonR and santro's weigh much less than the other segments car like jazz and the i20 and they have good low end torque since these are budget cars and should be easy to drive in the city.
are you aware of these jargons ? i guess you are not. please do a thorough study on these and then you will come to know what i am talking about.
and you can keep adding lines , your lines will just take some place and nothing else.[roll]
Yes man. I will let you win. Hyundai is the best company in the world, and whatever stuff that Hyundai makes is exceptionally good, and people buy Hyundai cars not because they are feature packed but for they are extremely drivable, and people who curse on the bouncy ride and fearsome handling in Hyundai cars are the ones who does not know 'the real steering feel'. I did not know that only you could compare two different segments (brio and jazz). I failed to notice the brake bite thing I mentioned was your discovery. Sorry boss!!!

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
do you even read your replies [lol] i am talking about the jazz and you are saying hyundai is good in all aspects . again no point in feeling offended. maybe next time you write things which make logical sense and people will be able to understand you better.

do you even read your replies [lol] i am talking about the jazz and you are saying hyundai is good in all aspects . again no point in feeling offended. maybe next time you write things which make logical sense and people will be able to understand you better.
Oh man!!! Sarcasm and facts are two different things. I think everyone else might have understood what I meant in my previous comments. Read it again and you will understand (I hope so). I am signing off from this thread as this is going nowhere.

Let's not fight. As stated the driving styles of different people can suit one car and not suit other. For someone the practicality of Jazz along with the space can be the deal maker wheras for someone the lack of fancy features and other things can be the deal breaker. So it all depend on what one wants. So let's put forward our opinion without fighting among ourselves.

jazz didn't move till 2500 rpm. And when it reached the 2500 mark i had to downshift because of the traffic. 15 minutes TD , couldn't take the car in 4th gear.
Really interesting to see the verdict of an engine and car from a person who has done 15 minutes test drive[surprise]. I fear your comments are bordering fanboysm my friend .

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Really interesting to see the verdict of an engine and car from a person who has done 15 minutes test drive[surprise]. I fear your comments are bordering fanboysm my friend .
Have you taken a td or drove a petrol jazz ever ?

And i don't know for how many minutes one is supposed to take a td for. For me 15 minutes was enough to know how the car will behave in traffic.
And didn't get your point of fanboyism. Please do explain.

Have you taken a td or drove a petrol jazz ever ?

And i don't know for how many minutes one is supposed to take a td for. For me 15 minutes was enough to know how the car will behave in traffic.
And didn't get your point of fanboyism. Please do explain.
Please go through all the 57 posts in this thread. You will get answer for both of your queries [cheers].

that's a nice write up and detailed review akash [thumbsup] obviously my review will not be as extensive as your's but still would like to share my experience.

i TD the petrol jazz today since my father was thinking of replacing his i10. so i thought why not check the 2 new stars , the jazz and the elite i20.
first i went to ring road honda located near paschim vihar. the showroom itself was huge plus the service area.
loads and loads of space just like their cars :P

View attachment 175302

View attachment 175304

anyways , since there was so much crowd me and my friend were walking around checking the 2 variants of the jazz and i also checked the brio. anyways after 10 minutes i saw the receptionist and asked her for the adviser to show us the car.

meanwhile i sat in the jazz and the interiors seemed ok to me. i fixed the front seat according to my preference and then sat back and i was so surprised to see the available space. i'm 5"11 BTW :P

View attachment 175301

the adviser came we went on a TD . the model was VMT. sorry no pics of the TD Model.

anyways i heard that the petrol seems lethargic under 2500 rpm. i took the car out of the service lane and the car seemed fine to me. i said to myself it isn't that bad.

then the main road started and i was shocked to see the acceleration of this car [surprise] this was not lethargic but pathetic. i pressed the accelerator as hard as i could and in the 3rd gear the car hardly moved. no response whatsoever.
this would be troublesome to operate in delhi traffic or any traffic.
only after 2500 rpm the car moved.
came back after 15 minutes of TD and i was interested in the petrol S model.
i gave a chance to the jazz because the JAZZ SMT varaint and ELite i20 magna Variant both costed the same and both has equal amount of features where jazz has rear defogger and elite i20 has cool glove box useless according to me.

some random pics and the price list is also attached.

some points
* odd gear knob
*there were 3 cars ready for delivery [:)] saw 4 jazz , all white in color and watching 6 jazz in the showroom made me thinking why they have displayed so many cars.
*seat cushioning was good.
Nice review AHC Bhai. BTW,which car you have decided to buy?

And,BTW,excellent review Akash Bhai.Jazz seems to be pricier than Elite i20 but better dynamics than i20.In the price of Jazz,you could get Honda City VMT Petrol or SV CVT by spending ₹1.5-2L.

Top Bottom