Airbags Are Damn Important. Don’t Compromise.

I mean ABS should release the pressure as soon as it realizing the fact that wheels are going to lock. And if its doing it, then its doing its its job perfectly, isn't it?

Vivek,arent we totally Ot,members wont like it right?
Anyway
There are some situtation where friction of locked tire will help us more than intermittent rolling one.hope you get it.

Re: Airbags Are Damn Important. Don’t Compromise.

Vivek,arent we totally Ot,members wont like it right?
[thumbswink]
Sorry for hijacking the thread guys, and taking it a little OT.

Anyway
There are some situtation where friction of locked tire will help us more than intermittent rolling one.hope you get it.
Yeah its, but i still think ABS helps in providing you the control, in adverse conditions.

In that sense wider tires and heavier chasis is far better safety devices , they will provide you more chances of survival.
Hope you see the circle.
When car becomes heavier people cry on fuel efficiency and price.Then manufacturer volutrarily exploits the weaker aspects.a compromise is made.

please note: I am not competent person in these fields,what I say is from my own experience and out of common sense.

In that sense wider tires and heavier chasis is far better safety devices , they will provide you more chances of survival.
Hope you see the circle.
When car becomes heavier people cry on fuel efficiency and price.Then manufacturer volutrarily exploits the weaker aspects.a compromise is made.

please note: I am not competent person in these fields,what I say is from my own experience and out of common sense.
@jayadev : I too agree with you. All other features make no sense if you have those crappy MRF's on your rims or weak body structure strength or those tractor like brakes(i'm refering to bolero).

Went through the thread and here is my two pence.
1) ABS (+ EBD) should be made available on all cars from base version onwards. I agree that ABS does not guarantee shorter braking, however the fact that you can still steer (with ABS) gives the driver more flexibility to manage and escape from a scenarios and is definitely an advantage over locked wheels (and inability to steer). Also tests have proven that ABS+EBD combination shortens braking distance on slippery surfaces.
2) Airbags is like insurance. You always hope you don't need it. Talking of the price of Airbag replacement is a no-brainer since in 90% of the cases, if they do deploy, you will probably have greater issues at hand than thinking of the cost of an airbag.
3) The safety of the car is not only dependent on airbags and ABS/EBD along. Also depends on how the car is structurally. The crash ratings are given based upon the cumulative effect of the design, ABS, Airbags, traction control, pedestrian safety and host of other features. It is foolish to thing that heavier cars are more safer than new generation lighter models. In summary all depends on how the car has been designed to spread the force of the impact. Search on youtube and you will get a lot of videos where in a collision between a larger SUV and a smaller hatch, its the hatch that comes out as the winner.
Remember that for ABS/EBD, you probably would need them often. I am a very careful driver (not sedate and not a speed freak either), however there has been atleast 4-5 instance where I was glad that there was ABS + EBD in my Jazz. In US, even base version of the cars come with all safety features, something that our government should make mandatory.

Again not trying to offend any one, just my point of view.

Went through the thread and here is my two pence.
1) ABS (+ EBD) should be made available on all cars from base version onwards. I agree that ABS does not guarantee shorter braking, however the fact that you can still steer (with ABS) gives the driver more flexibility to manage and escape from a scenarios and is definitely an advantage over locked wheels (and inability to steer). Also tests have proven that ABS+EBD combination shortens braking distance on slippery surfaces.
2) Airbags is like insurance. You always hope you don't need it. Talking of the price of Airbag replacement is a no-brainer since in 90% of the cases, if they do deploy, you will probably have greater issues at hand than thinking of the cost of an airbag.
3) The safety of the car is not only dependent on airbags and ABS/EBD along. Also depends on how the car is structurally. The crash ratings are given based upon the cumulative effect of the design, ABS, Airbags, traction control, pedestrian safety and host of other features. It is foolish to thing that heavier cars are more safer than new generation lighter models. In summary all depends on how the car has been designed to spread the force of the impact. Search on youtube and you will get a lot of videos where in a collision between a larger SUV and a smaller hatch, its the hatch that comes out as the winner.
Remember that for ABS/EBD, you probably would need them often. I am a very careful driver (not sedate and not a speed freak either), however there has been atleast 4-5 instance where I was glad that there was ABS + EBD in my Jazz. In US, even base version of the cars come with all safety features, something that our government should make mandatory.

Again not trying to offend any one, just my point of view.
Appreciate your post buddy, i am glad to see you got the essence of this thread.
Great going buddy.

ABS helped me avoid colliding head on with a two wheeler who entered from the divider side to the right most lane. I pressed the brake once and let ABS do the job and in the mean while I was able to turn the steering to the left and move the left most lane to avoid colliding with this guy. This happened on the Salem - Coimbatore Stretch of road. This is in my Figo 1.4 Titanium edition. I realized the importance of having ABS and any car that I buy from now on will have ABS and Airbags

-Karthik

Thanks for sharing your experience with ABS karthik. It have definitely saved me also twice. And also have saved many. But many others don't even realize that ABS did the work for them. [:D]

Last edited:

Top Bottom