Airbags Are Damn Important. Don’t Compromise.

Re: Don’t Compromise: Airbags Are Damn Important!

yes airbags are important but still you will notice only the higher models get safety features.

i have mentioned this to many people , just waiting for the time when all the cars have standard abs and airbags.

obviously , safety features will add to the cost of the car. and people should be encouraged to go for safety features.

it will take years for the people to realize the actual value of these safety features.
I think the govt should make it mandatory for all cars to be sold with air bags. Then only these indian companies will incorporate it on all car models.
The only drawback being a slight price rise, but life is precious and its just a small price that we are paying to keep our self safe.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

no company will be in favor to this just yet sadly.
all companies wants to sell their cars keeping the price as low as possible.

they would not compromise their sales by adding safety features in the base variant.
i agree , only if govt could made this mandatory.

I think the govt should make it mandatory for all cars to be sold with air bags. Then only these indian companies will incorporate it on all car models.
Good business for Airbag company and cops too..

wonder if

• +they are deployed, with a false trip on one of the sensor in your car and you were doing 100km/h.

+and if some of them did not diploy in a head on serious collision

AFAIK race cars do not come with Airbags..still most of them survives-that is what I am pointing to.

There is tons of evidence that they have injured or killed far more people than they have saved. Consider: race cars do NOT have air bags - their seat belts alone keep drivers alive, and usually uninjured, in crashes of well over 100 MPH; the ratio of injuries and deaths to lives saved is such that if you took a new medical device with similar stats to the FDA for approval, it would be rejected; if you are not "positioned" perfectly behind the steering wheel, an air bag "deploying" can turn a simple fender-bender into a disaster ; if your hand is on the horn - a reasonable reaction to an imminent accident - you will probably be mained. Despite these facts, the govt. continues to require air bags simply because they hate to ever admit they were wrong. The least they should do is to permit on-off switches. Hope this clears up a few things.
    well just think about this racecar drivers dont use airbags.. and they are prepared to crash. airbags burn you. they can break your arms, if your not positioned exactly right at time of accident they can really hurt you .. i suggest aftermarket wheel and fourpoint harnesses if you stay in the seat you cant get as hurt,
    with air bags you are less likely to go through the window. without you will get a few cuts and bruises maybe a broken nose
    Is the Passenger Airbag Truly worth mandatory?
    IMO With all precautions taken, airbags are like additional insurance policies.

Good business for Airbag company and cops too..

AFAIK race cars do not come with Airbags..still most of them survives-that is what I am pointing to.
Race cars doesn't have airbags, simply because the driver is completely strapped in to place with a five point seatbelt. And once properly strapped and fastened one wont be able to move an inch. I don't think a regular commuter will appreciate strapping himself using a five point seatbelt just for safety. I even had hard time convincing my co passengers to use a regular three point seat belt.

Race cars doesn't have airbags, simply because the driver is completely strapped in to place with a five point seatbelt. And once properly strapped and fastened one wont be able to move an inch. I don't think a regular commuter will appreciate strapping himself using a five point seatbelt just for safety. I even had hard time convincing my co passengers to use a regular three point seat belt.
When we are talking about safety ,we should be serious ,can we compromise it with wish and will of every individual?

In two wheelers people do not care to wear helmets.
An Airbag does not sound like a foolproof safety device to be considered as damn important or must have,especially due to limitation like the seating position and it is an electro-mechanical device.

I would prefer a better seating position ,better seat belts, safer ergonomics better built car any day.

I am not debating for sake of it. I had met with two frontal collision in different type of vehicals and I feel convinced that airbags are not advice bale unless you are drunk to brim or in some dreamy state of mind (slow reflex system)
BTW: I may be wrong here.

In Crash test videos they show, I am sure those dummies do not have reflex action controls of what a normal Adults body have.

I experienced different kind of response (reflex action) in such emergency like collision and danger.

Jayadev you are right at your point.
But then have you ever heard of a fact that "One must always tie the seat belts if car is equipped with airbags weather they are SRS or active".
The reason for this is simple:-
Nothing is better than a good seat belt system and airbags are meant to just assist seat belts.Their work is to absorb some energy of collision.

Going by your way:-
We need a lot like roll cages etc etc in our cars.
At last:Extremely tough built car is more dangerous as the passengers will die by colliding with the interiors only if they don't break.Now its upon you to choose,break your dashboard or your chest bones?

I too agree with the opinion that Airbags are important. But I believe seat belts and ABS to be more important than Airbags considering Indian roads.
While we say Airbags to be a life saving mechanism , many forget the importance of seat belts which I feel it to be the first life saving mechanism which is quite common in almost all the cars.
@jayadev;- Possibilty of Airbags saving the lives of people in our roads are scarce but remember there are cases where Airbags turns out to be the hero. But if a car that is equipped with airbags gets a collision from behind the impact from the rear can cause serious damage to the front passengers. Here airbags turns out to be useless. I have heard of people who have suffered from serious injuries due to collion from the back where airbags where of no use
But the point I have is that 'Always Use the seat belts'.
Regarding Airbags I am not a technical man to judge whether it will turn act accordingly or not in an accident.
But I believe its necessary to have ABS and AIRBAGS in our cars. .
Its the people who must decide whether the Money you save by opting car variants without ABS and Airbags or the Life inside the car is important.

Last edited:

At last:Extremely tough built car is more dangerous as the passengers will die by colliding with the interiors only if they don't break.Now its upon you to choose,break your dashboard or your chest bones?
I believe you weren't serous about that..
Tough built does not mean compromising in safety or crumple zones.

briefly: Post collision frontal,I have noticed most of the body cage gets crushed. the steering shoots into chest of the driver crushing against seat. airbag remains like a baloon saving the victims face for certain fraction of time.

My concern is : in mild or moderate situation they may get deployed and in serious situation they can remain useless or fail to deploy .
How worth is making it Mandatory by law and paying those additional premium ?

I believe you weren't serous about that..
Dear I meant absolutely that.That's the reason a Sumo or Bolero is not a safe car.And I am sure you won't question its built.Instead your Punto is far safer than those cars.

Tough built does not mean compromising in safety or crumple zones.
That's why I asked your definition of tough built.But you haven't told it to me.

briefly: Post collision frontal,I have noticed most of the body cage gets crushed. the steering shoots into chest of the driver crushing against seat. airbag remains like a baloon saving the victims face for certain fraction of time.
They are made to get crushed and absorb the collision energy and not let it reach the cabin.And yes,the airbags are needed for just a fraction of a second at the time of collision.After that everything again settles down.

My concern is : in mild or moderate situation they may get deployed and in serious situation they can remain useless or fail to deploy .
How worth is making it Mandatory by law and paying those additional premium ?
In serious situation nothing works dear,weather is a Maruti 800 or a Mercedes S class.

I have a question here.Did the victim wear the seat belt?

I think Air bags can reduce the impact of injury.

Wearing the seat belt is extremely important.

What are your TAIians thoughts on the idea of curtain airbags?

As jayadev had pointed out, the steering wheel may jut out in many a cases where there is a frontal collision, so to prevent that from happening you have collapsible steering column, which collapses in a frontal collision and thus major injury to your chest/head/stomach is avoided.
Plus the onus lies with the driver too, he should also be wearing his seatbelts, to maximise the effectes of these safety devices fitted in his/her car.
Then there are seat belt pretensioners too fitted in some cars, which as the name suggests tightens your seatbelt/prevent it from loosening up during a collision.
I feel your seatbelt + airbags + a collapsible steering column should be good enough to keep you safe in case of an accident.

But there are draw backs too like in some cases the airbags might not get inflated or some times may get deployed during a small scale frontal collision. Or you are in a small car say for eg : in a punto or ritz or an alto and you have a frontal collision with a truck then your air bags might not be deployed as the point of contact or impact would be much higher say close to your windshield and the sensors for your air bags are generally fitted in the bumper area.
Similarly the abs too plays a major role during an emergency evasive maneuvering, I don't think a car with out abs can do an emergency evasive lane change at high speed as you loose your steering the moment the wheels get locked
so pros and cons are always there when you opt for something and as I said previously It is a small price you pay for your as well as your dear ones lifes, LIFE IS PRECIOUS. After death there is no chance to repent over not buying a car without these safety features.

Dear I meant absolutely that.That's the reason a Sumo or Bolero is not a safe car.And I am sure you won't question its built.Instead your Punto is far safer than those cars.
I think I do not need to explain literal meaning of tough and flimsy every time.it should be obviously understood.

I have a question here.Did the victim wear the seat belt?

I think Air bags can reduce the impact of injury.

Wearing the seat belt is extremely important.

What are your TAIians thoughts on the idea of curtain airbags?
Seat belts are definitely life savers and thankfully every car comes with it immaterial of variants.

again I am skeptical about these 3 point seat belts too. they are most of the time impossible (hope I did not need to go literal again ,read it as "difficult at times") to be unhooked .
Most of the time safety is just added luxury or superfluous additions but when people have a narrow escape they swear but it.

In luxury department safety devices means something fancy,high tech,gleaming et al...that is where unfortunately airbags are right now this is what I feel.

Making airbag mandatory in every car viz . Alto,santro,i10,wagon-R,indica,spark..Gohhhd !!!

My car does have Airbags ,two of them..I wonder will it work..I did ask experts about its compliance...they returned a grin on me.

It stays like an LIC policy, after the incident I may or may not be benefited for what I payed and there will be justifications...but i did had to pay 2 lakh extra to get those features; ABS and Airbags.

A car which reduces your chances of a crash ABS before Airbags

I must say the first safety feature in a car is the one that reduces your chances of having a crash & that is ABS.
Its like saying the best weapon is the weapon you do not have to use -Nuclear weapons !

When i was hunting around for a car(diesel) recently i found the Nissan Micra/Renault Pulse(same cars essentially) offer airbag but no ABS [surprise] in any variants.

And sales executives tell you Abs wont be necessary etc cos they dont want to have longer than usual(Maruti atleast) waiting periods for the customer(cos they get yelled at),i too had the same story when booking my car saying brakes are cross linked etc but adamantly went for the one with ABS even when i was told the airbag/Abs variant would be adding 1 lakh odd extra to the on-road price.

My point is I dont see so much significance for airbags and ABS as much as it is being hyped and used in marketing.

I believe most of public transport doesn't have such devices.

and most of the lower segment cars which sells as hot cakes get sold without them and run safe for many years.

Logically in my POV, in yesteryear people cling to favorite deity idol ,worshiping,rituals,spiritual etc..in present era people cling to some technical and fancy devices like abs,ebd,tc,gps etc etc.

I dont say that either of them are useless but when you say "damn important" I am tend to look both side of the facts.

there are many cars which comes with Airbags still you can kill yourself in a moderate level collision.
same is with ABS,there was talk not long ago when people said it must be made mandatory in every car but they dint knew ABS becomes extremely unsafe under certain condition

better build means better in every aspects to be safe but I did not mean antimissile tanks.
hmm how many cars on our road now and 10 years before ? , our car population is growing like never before, but no growth in infrastructure for the same. Still we are using narrow roads as highways. So possibility for accidents are topping into chart, that was the only reason such thread here.

Top Bottom