Airbags Are Damn Important. Don’t Compromise.

Thread Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Well the title says it all. I witnessed an accident today morning in Powai (Mumbai). This guy had BMW 350D, was reversing out of his apartment complex towards the main road. Then he stopped, within a sec a stupid Innova driver rammed into his car head on, it was not a high speed impact, but good enough for the BMW to deploy the airbags. The guy inside the BMW obviously unhurt, got out and started trashing driver of the Innova. The rest is the usual scene you see in a fight which is not worth describing in here.

My Point is, I have seen many people opting out Airbags and instead they are willing to spend thousands on ICE, Alloys and what not. Most people come up with the reason saying "Its not that necessary," or "I wont be using them most of the time" (this is downright retarded comment ever ), and the occasional comment "I drive mostly in the City, so I drive slow".

What these people don't understand is that, the Airbags deploy irrespective of you hit some object or the object hits you. Like in the above accident I described. That guy was saved from minor/major injuries because of the Airbags.

There is a disturbing fact that I came across on this forum, some one was advising some one, that airbags are not that important. I don't recollect which post that was, but my request to all prospective buyers consider Safety first, luxury and features last.

Re: Airbag is damn important!!

Hey raceace,

I totally agree with you here. Infact my car (Lancer) never came with air bags I am planning to install aftermarket ones on them.

Guys! no matter how good a driver we think we are and wherever we drive a vehicle, please understand by paying heed to raceace's post that mishaps can happen anytime and we do not know how good is the driver who leads us into one or where it could happen.

In the end its not only us on the road. Safety comes first!

350Z

Core Team
Re: Don’t Compromise: Airbags Are Damn Important!

Spot on post, Arun. Its pity there’s a majority of car buyers in India who still need to learn about the importance of airbags and such safety features. While it is understandable that a new person in the scene might overlook it as just another add-on to the car or compromise it for show-off kind features but I do not expect a comment against it from an enthusiast or a seasoned person. Apart from that, a reasonable credit also goes to the ignorant sales persons who mislead the buyers for their own benefit. I recall that some time ago when I questioned about the availability of multiple airbags on Aveo – GM sales person told it doesn’t makes sense if the car will be driven in the “cities”. In a moment I understood how much informed he was. Nevertheless, on the other hand I also feel relieved that certain carmakers have begun offering the airbags as a standard feature on their cars. Honda City, Nissan Micra etc. to mention a few.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Don’t Compromise: ABS and Airbags Are Damn Important!..life comes first..

Hey Folks,

Well the title says it all. I witnessed an accident today morning in Powai (Mumbai). This guy had BMW 350D, was reversing out of his apartment complex towards the main road. Then he stopped, within a sec a stupid Innova driver rammed into his car head on, it was not a high speed impact, but good enough for the BMW to deploy the airbags. The guy inside the BMW obviously unhurt, got out and started trashing driver of the Innova. The rest is the usual scene you see in a fight which is not worth describing in here.

My Point is, I have seen many people opting out Airbags and instead they are willing to spend thousands on ICE, Alloys and what not. Most people come up with the reason saying "Its not that necessary," or "I wont be using them most of the time" (this is downright retarded comment ever ), and the occasional comment "I drive mostly in the City, so I drive slow".

What these people don't understand is that, the Airbags deploy irrespective of you hit some object or the object hits you. Like in the above accident I described. That guy was saved from minor/major injuries because of the Airbags.

There is a disturbing fact that I came across on this forum, some one was advising some one, that airbags are not that important. I don't recollect which post that was, but my request to all prospective buyers consider Safety first, luxury and features last.
+1000,you have placed a very very important point buddy[clap].
There is nothing above the safety of us as well as our loved ones.In fact I am hell biased towards safety and hence at least ABS is a must for me in any car and if I get the airbags then its best.
Even I too have encountered some issues with people,here are three of them:-
1):Uncle buying a swift for his son,I advised him to go for VDi ABS but he with his son went to dealership and got a VDi and gave his son 30k for alloys,ICE etc.
When I asked him why not ABS..he simply replied "The dealership guys told us that its not of any need and secondly SPEAK GOOD ONLY,WHY TO EVEN THINK OF AN ACCIDENT"..[frustration]

2):This is most encountered:-
At the dealerships many times you can find people saying "Why to spend on ABS and airbags when life and death is in God's hands".I am seriously pissed off on hearing these words but still..I CAN'T CHANGE HERD MENTALITY..[anger]

@Mods:Please add ABS too to the title..(ie:Don't compromise:ABS and AIRBAGS are damn important).

I would like to add that in cars equipped with Airbags the passenger should always belt up. Airbags are designed to supplement the seat belt, hence the name SRS(Supplemental Restraint System) Airbag.

PS: One should always belt up whether your car have airbag or not. I just want to point out that airbag alone wont save life, in fact if you are not belted up airbag could do more harm than good.

Thread Starter #6

I totally agree with you here. Infact my car (Lancer) never came with air bags I am planning to install aftermarket ones on them.
I doubt you would be able to do that. As per my knowledge Airbags comes pre-installed or factory fitted. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Very true!!! Airbags are a must + buckle up !! It really helps !
Similarly as TSIVipul pointed out some sales guys at the car dealer try to persuade away from ABS and Airbags, I am saying this as I had personally experienced this while buying my Ritz.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

Thank you all for the support [:)]

@350 Z

I personally faced this issue when I went to inquire and test drive the new swift. I was offered a minimal waiting period for the VDI variant. But common sense (or not so ) prevailed in for me, and I went ahead and booked the top end(ZDI) variant [;)]. I told that sales guy with a straight face that I am willing to wait for 6+ months and in no hurry, which of course is a lie [:)]. But then Safety is priority. I would say that Sales guy was a decent fellow and didn't give me some weird answers or tried convincing me about not to opt for Airbags and stuff!

I personally faced this issue when I went to inquire and test drive the new swift. I was offered a minimal waiting period for the VDI variant. But common sense (or not so ) prevailed in for me, and I went ahead and booked the top end(ZDI) variant [;)]. I told that sales guy with a straight face that I am willing to wait for 6+ months and in no hurry, which of course is a lie [:)]. But then Safety is priority. I would say that Sales guy was a decent fellow and didn't give me some weird answers or tried convincing me about not to opt for Airbags and stuff!
Buddy there is a small reason for that:-
The SEs have to sell more and more cars and reach their target sales per month.
No comes the case where an owner likes ZDi but since its 80k more expensive than VDi so owner simply thinks ZDi as expensive car and there arises the chances that customer will leave and go for any other car.
In that case the SEs give such excuses to male the customer buy the car without these safety features for the lower price.
If they find any customer who is very keen about safety then they change their color and say "sir,you are smart,but every other person does not give priority to safety"..I have seen hundreds of such SEs.Who talk some thing else before I tell them that I am hell bent towards safety and after i tell it to them then they frequently can be seen saying words like:-
"Sir you are smart","Sir,safety comes first","Most people don't understand the value of safety" etc etc.
But what is true is that the 80k spent on the safety features is a very small premium for what you get.Thinking practically,accidents don't happen after asking if I must happen...they just happen.
And if most of your time is spent on roads then safety must be your top priority.

Secondly,the SEs give this excuse many times when they encounter a situation like this(purely personal experience):-
We:But the Ritz VDi hasn't got ABS and airbags.Chevrolet Beat has them at slightly lower price.
SE:Sir,it has better engine and performance.And ABS and airbags are useless.Why to even think of an accident at the good time of buying your car?

I doubt you would be able to do that. As per my knowledge Airbags comes pre-installed or factory fitted. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You are right, raceace. However, I have known few people who have claimed to install aftermarket airbags to their Lancer. Will confirm after a visual.

This thread sounded like an advertisement for airbags,,,yet ..
Imo Airbag are just 1 out of 10 safety accessory .how times a car have chances for face to face collision?what if car turtles or got smashed under a truck,

I would prefer better built cars rather than eyecandies.

Thread Starter #12

This thread sounded like an advertisement for airbags,,,yet ..
Imo Airbag are just 1 out of 10 safety accessory .how times a car have chances for face to face collision?what if car turtles or got smashed under a truck,

I would prefer better built cars rather than eye candies.

with all due respect, tell me how many times a car got smashed under a truck ?? compared to head on crashes. Dude! no well built car would survive if a truck crashes on to it. Tell me one well built car on Indian roads that can do that. None!!. How do you measure a well built car ??. For common people like us, the only visible measure of safety is Airbag, ABS with EBD,Traction control. Remember cars with active safety feature likes these are lot more safer. Besides that, as a buyer you really cant judge the build of a car just buy doing a test drive. Here, build means the chassis, roll cages (if any) and structural design and the metal used.

Having said that, my purpose of this thread was for people who spent thousands on other luxury and totally neglect safety aspects. You can add other safety features to this list as well. And yes this is definitely not an advertisement for Airbags!!

My point is I dont see so much significance for airbags and ABS as much as it is being hyped and used in marketing.

I believe most of public transport doesn't have such devices.

and most of the lower segment cars which sells as hot cakes get sold without them and run safe for many years.

Logically in my POV, in yesteryear people cling to favorite deity idol ,worshiping,rituals,spiritual etc..in present era people cling to some technical and fancy devices like abs,ebd,tc,gps etc etc.

I dont say that either of them are useless but when you say "damn important" I am tend to look both side of the facts.

there are many cars which comes with Airbags still you can kill yourself in a moderate level collision.
same is with ABS,there was talk not long ago when people said it must be made mandatory in every car but they dint knew ABS becomes extremely unsafe under certain condition

better build means better in every aspects to be safe but I did not mean antimissile tanks.

there are many cars which comes with Airbags still you can kill yourself in a moderate level collision.
same is with ABS,there was talk not long ago when people said it must be made mandatory in every car but they dint knew ABS becomes extremely unsafe under certain condition
In any car you can kill yourself in even moderate collision.But then who want to kill him/herself?

better build means better in every aspects to be safe but I did not mean antimissile tanks.
First of all kindly elaborate on better built.
I mean kindly explain what do you mean by better built?
This will help me explain my point better.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

yes airbags are important but still you will notice only the higher models get safety features.

i have mentioned this to many people , just waiting for the time when all the cars have standard abs and airbags.

obviously , safety features will add to the cost of the car. and people should be encouraged to go for safety features.

it will take years for the people to realize the actual value of these safety features.

Top Bottom