Air Conditioner Modifications

Thread Starter #1
Call this as some mad plan.

Note - could be done on jeeps , sumo etc . Not advisable to tinker around in new cars sedans etc.

OK coming to topic.

What is an AC.

Let me explain the cabin part alone.

The blower blows air in the cooling coil and it will loose its heat there and comes as a cool air to us.

this is the theory.

People as said install another roof ac in sumo/tavera/innova basic etc.

What is that roof ac?
A sleek unit with smallest capacity blower , with cooling coils but not big as the main unit. Say the main unit has 20 lines running through it , this has only 2 to 3 .

Installing this roof ac itself helps cooling better and quick.

The sleek unit itself cost 12k. plus the pipes etc.

Plan as for the sierra

At the time electric fan conversion for radiator, i removed the ac belts and yet to fix since then.

Planned , why not improve ac in this car , since its damn difficult for people esp in the rear.

So after searching , got a superking blower with cooling coil for 1000/-
cooling coil was damaged , hence this rate.

New unit cost 12000/- original and 8000/- kind of duplicate.

Then after about a month , have got the superking original coil for 3000/-

Yet to buy other thing like pipes etc.

The thing is

Blower and cooling coils bought - ok

what to do with the one in the car ?

it was not leaking , but its capacity was not enough.

Have planned to make some modification and use this too in car , at rear with custom make ducts at rear.

Mechanics said , when a single thing is enough to cool the car , 2 will make people freeze.

I hope it must work fine , since mine is normal top. Not plywood or insulated material like in modern car. it will be hot as hell.
also big glass area and non - sun filmed car.

Worrying if the compressor could take the load?
already its 70% life? my guess . Working fine , but guessing since the age.

Or i have to install some bigger compressor like the sanden 508 compressor?
The 508 is used in tempo traveler. non factory installed ac in sumo etc.

But retails about north of 8000/-

If its that i think i have to wait for another 2 to 3 months!

Any suggesions , should i leave superking coils alone to work like in any other cab or should try with my theory?

Re: Ac modification.

Can you post a pic of the cooling coils ?
Nice info !!

I too have planned for a compressor swap..
So I need your help, can I get the rear vents of xylo (only he vents platic ones)..

What is special about Sanden 508 compressor, is it a universal one ?

Thread Starter #3

Every ac is universal if the mounting bracket designed by a enthusiastic tinker!

Sanden 508 in 800 ?? Man the car wont move!! that much big compressor is not needed.

I'll post pictures soon!

I removed my car roof as it was looking pretty bad, now it looks much more horrible, tried damping it with Yoga mat, it doesnt hold. I read somewhere that using a thin sheet of plywood will increase coolness of cabin by a good extent.

Ilango, I am not sure If that is true, may be 1K on the roof interior might save you a lot of money spent on rear AC etc right. I have no idea about Sanden 508 etc but I feel that a Mammoth like Sierra will be having a strong AC.

I am planning to get this wooden roof thing done asap, as my AC simply kills all momentum in my car.

Varun,
will the molded roof be cooler than the plywood?

Guys what about the excessive heat generated from the front panel, dashboard etc. I can feel heat radiating there.
Any solutions.

I guess the molded roof restricts some amount of heat..

But wooden roof in 800 ? I guess it is too tough & won't look good..

Thread Starter #8
Earlier day senario , buy a car , it goes straight to fit upholstry which majorly comprises of floor mats, top ply woode and velvet clothing and extra cusioned seats and seat covers.

In any car the ply wood thing could be done , but people are now going for beigh art leather rexins instead of velvets!

Molded roof sure does reduce heat inside cabin but ply wood is better.

I am not going to keep hands in roofs etc . its damn costly

Hmmm We have a plywood sheet doing good job at our office, prevents the cabin from heating up. Costed just around 1K, for a car I think it will be much lesser right?

Yesterday I drove my car for almost 75kms in and around Bangalore for some off work & I had to stop at one point some where in the highway, got out unbuttoned most of the buttons in my shirt and sat below a tree.
It is seriously horrible now, severe sweating + the way the blower circulates heat [embarass]

I actually love the looks of the moulded roof, but I have experienced the cooling of the wood so still thinking. Here is a pic of our off board in the cabin.

Photo06000001.jpg

Photo0604.jpg

Photo0600.jpg

Photo06060001.jpg

Thread Starter #10
Unbuttoning for a 800 ?? that too in bangalore??

Then you will be baked in present condition of My sierra in Pondicherry.

Fitting the super king blower in front , removing the old /stock /oe set up. Work is going on now.
May be adding that stock on rear - this is what the thread is all about . will be done later on. need to buy pipes etc. Bankrupt again! hehe

oh..kkkkkkk
this is great
i opened the bonet today of my sierra and guess what i found that there is already Sanden 508 compressor on it with R12 gas . but last summer i got the bottle changed to much easily available R134a gas. but reading here makes me confident that i have a powerful compressor.
now i just need to get that superking cooling coil + blower combo kit.
lets hope my sierra gets the only thing missing on it right now. a good cooling ac.

Thread Starter #13
Stock sierra ac is pure bliss. its compression is fantastic .

sanden 508 is equally good.

You saved a lot buddy. sanden compressor , worst case some 9k plus.
mounting brackets some 1800/- that too it will be for sumo. you need to go to lathe to drill holes accordingly , then belts etc. lucky !

Update ,
checked and connect ac things. only front superking + stock sierra compressor and filled some left over gas. it cooled cabin in less than 3 min flat!

yet to install ducts etc and then fill gas .
it needs about 800 gms , i hope , filled roughly 200gms now to check leaks! its rocking with 200gms !

Thread Starter #15
Its filled by pressure. around 2.5kgm/bar kind of no idea of units etc , read them long back in 800 service manual in garage.

Update.

Filled r13a gas almost 600 to 700g.
ac was chilling like ..err like ice cold in just the single unit set up.

But sad thing was , compressor was getting more heated.

R12 compressor are more pressure generating since of the r12 gas.
but r13a need less pressure compressor ,

But r13a in high pressure compressor .. ice like cooling , but the compressor was enormously heating.

with sad heart - let go the filled r13a in air , searched hard for R12 and filled just 500 as of now. its cool but not as such in r13a gas! yet to top up the unit.

EDIT : No plan to install the so called ac modification , that is installing stock blower and cooling coil as of now. may be after some couple of months.

Top Bottom