Aftermarket Sunroof?

Thread Starter #1
We all love having sun-roof in our cars don't we? Now i need your views or experiences regarding the same , forget the monetary point. Anybody having these in your rides or experienced these in your friend's rides?

1.Are these sun-roofs prone to leakages and rattles?

2.How much does it affect the overall strength and rigidity of the car?

Did some research and spoke to some people regarding this , sun-roofs are available from as low as 15k to almost even a Lakh! Some people are happy with this even after 3 years of usage but some people are complaining about water leakage and rattle after 2 years. So i am kinda confused now.

Need your views people , especially Ilango!

Re: After-market Sunroof?

Webasto is the only brand which clicks in my head when it comes to sunroof. None of my close friends ever got a sunroof, however i have a few friends who are not very happy with their after market sunroofs.
I once had a chat with an installer who advised me not to go for it even though he dealt in sunroofs.

Thread Starter #3

Why are your friends not happy with it Akash?

And any specific reason why the installer advised you not to get one?

Why are your friends not happy with it Akash?
I had a few orkut friends(both from Delhi) who had installed sunroof. They complained water seeping in after a few years of installation. One of them had the sunroof frame(made of fiber) broken for which he had to wait for months after placing order with the dealer.

And any specific reason why the installer advised you not to get one?
He told me that it is a tedious process(though for them, even installing body kits is a headache), and few of his customers complaint of rattles. He never told me about any water leakage issue being there with any of his customers.

PS: I was quoted Rs.18000 for Sunroof for my Indigo, 5 years back

None of my friends / know person fixed after-market sunroof.
Sometime back happen to see a swift with sunroof in Maruti A.S.S, on speaking to the owner he said it cost 20k, no water leaks as of now.

3 years back seen a poor Maruti 800 (painted in bright red, with stickers all around, cheap alloy wheels, 4 BIGGG fog lamps, rear spoiler, momo replica steering wheel, white painted dash board) with fixed 'sunroof' in Tirupati. Spoke to the owner & he said got it done for 5k [surprise] (of course, rupees five thousand only) from a local glass wala who fix glass for bus & trucks. No issues of rattles or water leaks. The execution was wonderful without any flaws. I have the photographs in my PC at home.

Thread Starter #6

@ Mr.Boss: So if done by a professional i think it can be worth it!

@ Akash 18k for electronic slider type?

Still i am waiting for other experts and their opinions.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

Okay even if i get one i will be getting it done through our member Ilango only. First two M's not an issue when i get it through him , products are genuine and he gives his 100% to everybody and the last M i think that he also knows how it needs to be done.

Sunroof - it has to be webasto. good price and perfect motors.

fixing them is one special job.

The main job is the type we get and way to route the water.

Oe model have roofs submerged type where as after market have an edge over the body - roof.

After all it depends on perfect installing.

Planning to fix a fixed type in my dad's 800 :)

Btw got the verna spoiler by parcel.

First half an hour i was wondering what is it.
later found out to be accent's spoiler. so dhaya u need to wait for some more time.

[QUOTE='ilango[speed thirst];78627'

Planning to fix a fixed type in my dad's 800 :)[/QUOTE]

do post pic of m800 with sunroof would love to see it .
[QUOTE='ilango[speed thirst];78627'Btw got the verna spoiler by parcel.

First half an hour i was wondering what is it.
later found out to be accent's spoiler. so dhaya u need to wait for some more time.[/QUOTE]

[lol] dhaya bad luck

Thread Starter #13

Yeah Ilango i think i will get a better idea once we meet and discuss about this.

Lets not discuss about spoiler here and go OT.

Thread Starter #15

Yeah Ilango i think i will get a better idea once we meet and discuss about this.

Lets not discuss about spoiler here and go OT.

Top Bottom