Advice Required on Good Sedan or Hatch within 6.5 Lakhs

Thread Starter #1
Guys,

My friend is going to buy a new car with a budget not exceeding 6.5lakhs. His average use will be max of 500kms a month. I suggested him to go far a good Petrol sedan.

What are the good Petrol Hatch or sedan's under 6.5lakhs.

Re: Advice required on Good Sedan or Hatch within 6.5lakhs

If it has to be a petrol sedan, suggest him Toyota Etios or Ford Fiesta Classic. But with ever increasing petrol prices, i would recommend a diesel hatchback.

Sedan
Toyota Etios
Ford Fiesta Classic
Fiat Linea

Hatchbacks
Fiat Punto
Volkswagen Polo
Skoda Fabia (if the A.S.S. is good)
Maruti Swift/Ritz

Whatever car your friend goes for, make sure he goes for a version with atleast basic safety features like ABS on board.

Last edited:

For 500kms a month i feel petrol is a good choice.

Sedan or hatch it depends on your friend , its upto him to decide whether he needs a boot or not.

Firstly hatches 6.5Lakhs is a good budget! Choices are:

i20 Asta ABS -Exceeds your budget by around 10k i guess but you can try to manage that with discounts if possible. A bit sluggish in pick-up but after 2nd gear its a rocket. Good FE , good A.S.S from Hyundai , amazing features. On the down side not much fun to drive , ride quality is a bit bumpy at high speeds. If running is going to be within city this should not be a major concern.

Punto- A great choice! A superb handler , loaded with features just like i20 , well built only concern is TATA'S A.S.S though i am seeing many happy Fiat customers around. Re-sale value might be slightly lesser compared to i20.

Polo- Though has got that german driving pleasure and build quality , i wont recommend this much. Not much VFM IMO when compared to Punto and i20. And also maintenance will surely be much costlier.

Figo- A sensible and VFM hatch and the top end titanium version must fall under your budget i guess. Only concern is low GC. Don't need to worry about A.S.S and maintenance , Ford has improved a lot!

In sedans i think the only options are Manza , Etios , Dzire and Accent.

Leave out Accent , it may get discontinued anytime. Etios is new to market but being a Toyota don't need to worry about maintenance and reliability. Dzire is the safest bet , being a Maruti. Manza is also good and i feel is the most spacious of all the above.

Ask your friend to TD all the above cars and decide the car which suits him and his family the most.

PS: I have not mentioned cars like Swift , Ritz , i10 , Micra because your friend has a very good budget.

Last edited:

If your friend is going to use the car in city then it has be a hatchback because maneuverability also plays a major role in city traffic. Parking space available for your friend to park his car should also be considered.

Moreover, in 6.5 lakhs many essential features like ABS, Airbags, inbuilt stereo etc are available in hatches but not in sedean (higher version price factor).

In hatches, I would suggest i20 1.2 Asta or Auto, Polo 1.6, Fabia 1.6, Punto 1.4 Fire. Only go for a Petrol version. Although, prices of petrol are increasing but your friend will not be able to cover the loss he would incur by buying a diesel car. Uses generally increases with time but whether your friend will be able to go as high as 1800 or 2000+kms a month ?

your friend should save his money by buying petrol and use saved money for petrol :tongue:

i will suggest i20 and more people will come and keep suggesting what they like! but whats the choice of person whos gonna buy?? ask him that, post that list and then i think people can advice better..

your friend should save his money by buying petrol and use saved money for petrol :tongue:
great post!![clap]

350Z

Core Team

Any updates? If he’s still looking for a car, then please ask him to answer the questions asked in this thread. It’ll help us to advice better. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z

well, IMO, with the given budget and running per month, a diesel can also be a good buy. but if you are searching for a petrol in particular, then: -

1. Swift LDi
2. Ritz
3. i20
4. Honda Jazz [too overpriced at what is on offer]
5. VW Punto

Amongst the sedans, I would suggest: -

1. Manza
2. Verna Fluidic [1.4 base version at the introductory prices is around 60k more than your budget]
3. Indigo TDi CS LS [My experience is very good, so advising]
4. Swift Dzire [plastic quality and build is cheap, can be a rattlesnake at just 20-25k running]

Sedan:
Toyota Etios - best in class and VFM
Tata Manza

Hatchback:
Fiat Punto (I am a little biased, sorry)
Forg Figo

IMO, if you are going for Petrol - stick to Japanese/Korean, if diesel - European. Although Ford Figo is a good exception and a very good hatchback in its class.

Its really sad to see no updates from bharatj85. The TAI members have been shooting such helpful comments and bharatj85 or his friend has not cared to reply once. Cmon guys, this forum is for car enthusiasts who would not like to waste time for people who do not value priceless help. Sorry team, I just got a little upset by not seeing one reply from the person who started this thread. I think we all should suggest him a PETROL AMBY [anger]

Top Bottom