Advice on a bike?

Thread Starter #1
My cousin is thinking of buying a pulsar 150cc.
So any reviews of the same would be highly appreciated.
How is the handling of the bike.
Pl list pro's & cons of it.

Go for it if you plan to have them not more than 4 years.

getting spares is time eating , and new bikes develope problem very soon , which are negligible and after some years they become a major one.

My friend has one , recently he spend around 5000 /- for head and piston works . earlier he spend around 4000/- , he spends as it was his first bike and will not sell it.

I have a apache 150 , the common problem in it is tappets sounds emerge and in every year at service it must be rectified. , engine wise its refined and gears are hard compared to pulsar , but you'll get used.

No idea about the 160 etc

people have said suzuki bikes are fine to ride , no idea about its cost and spares!

Pulsar 150cc is one of the most successful bikes in that segment. It is a great bike tro own with good aftersales service. To be precise foloowing are some of pros and cons of Pulsar 150.

Pros:
1. Great FE(Expect 50-55kmpl City riding)
2. Good looking instrument cluster(Digital) and switches.
3. Upgraded P150cc with small cowls looks great.
4. Fun to drive factor at a really less price(compared to its rivals)
5. Good Aftersales Service

Cons:
1. Engine noise increases with passing years(i have seen this with almost all pulsars)
2. Has been around with same face for quite some time.
3. Not great Resale value(compared to HH)
4. Not suitable if you/your friend intends to keep it for more than 5yrs.

Your may also consider following bikes:
1. Yamaha FZ16
2. Honda Unicorn Dazzler. TD Report-http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...806-honda-cb-unicorn-dazzler-road-tested.html
3. TVS Apache RTR 160, TD Report-http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...1897-tvs-apache-rtr-160-road-test-review.html

I own a Pulsar 150cc 2007 model. If your friend is planning to keep the bike for long stay away from Pulsar. Though it has good looks , maintenance will be a problem after 3 years. And also i find all Bajaj bikes to rust sooner that maybe due to Chennai conditions also(we owned a Bajaj Saffire before). But handling is great with those MRF Zappers and performance is also good.

I would suggest a HH Hunk or something new and fresh from the Yamaha stable.

As everyone has already said "stay away from pulsar'' if you plan to keep the bike for long.

Any 150cc bike from Hero Honda (Hunk,CBZ) Honda (Unicorn) woude be a much better option.

Pulsars are just too common & annoying as they start to get old. Any of the above bikes would even have a better resale value than a P150 in future.

I am using P150 for more than 2.5 years. Initially I felt great but now the engine noise is considerable. Service center says its normal for pulsar, but my pulsar has definitely lost charm in it.

I fell very comfortable whenever I ride my friends Unicorn which is more than 3 years old, but the engine is super silent although he is not servicing his bike regularly. But even if I do service my bike after every 3K kms most of people asks me "Have you not serviced your bike recently? It needs servicing". Its because of engine noise.

The only good thing about my P150 is it gives me constant FE of 50-52 km/ltr in city driving. Apart from engine noise everything is good in my pulsar.

I'll definitely suggest you to look for Unicorn and if you feel driving position of Apache 160 comfortable go for it.

If your Friend is looking for some series performance bike then i'll suggest you to go for the RTR160. Its having a good handling. The mileage is not less then 45Km/L. Top speed is 125Kms/Hr.(true speed is 114Kms/Hr). The breaks are really good. But the only problem is the stock tyres. If you maintain the speed below 60Kms. It will give you 50Kms/L. In highway i got a mileage of 70Kms/L.

Thread Starter #12
Why not consider TVS Apache RTR 160 ?
He is having Victor currently & never again want to go for a TVS, & his friends had problem with the RTR refusing to start in the morning(Cold start)
-----------Next Post-----------
As everyone has already said "stay away from pulsar'' if you plan to keep the bike for long.

Any 150cc bike from Hero Honda (Hunk,CBZ) Honda (Unicorn) woude be a much better option.

Pulsars are just too common & annoying as they start to get old. Any of the above bikes would even have a better resale value than a P150 in future.
Hero Honda!!!
The CBZ extreme is not that good looking.
He doesn't like the hunk.
Any budget in mind?
What exactly are the requirements?
He doesn't sticks to budget buddy.[lol]
May be he is ready to spend upto 85000 & not beyond that.
His requirements: Daily commute to his office & back Approx 50-60 kms of daily usage.
If your Friend is looking for some series performance bike then i'll suggest you to go for the RTR160. Its having a good handling. The mileage is not less then 45Km/L. Top speed is 125Kms/Hr.(true speed is 114Kms/Hr). The breaks are really good. But the only problem is the stock tyres. If you maintain the speed below 60Kms. It will give you 50Kms/L. In highway i got a mileage of 70Kms/L.
But the RTR's sound from the Silencer gradually increases after a year or two.
But that's not the case with pulsar was his feel.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Update: My cousin & myself went to Yamaha Showroom, We test drove the Fazer.
So he is more inclined towards it.
Any views on the Fazer.
And is the maintainance cost of it on higher side?

Fazer is a good bike which has the proven 150cc heart of FZ16. I will get you the maintenance costs by tomorrow.

Hey why not try the new SZ? Its looking good and must suit your cousin as its for daily commuting only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom