Advice needed on buying Used NHC ZX or Used Aveo.

Thread Starter #1
We have a 2001 M800 that covered <25000km in 6+ years.

Now we are in the market to buy a new car for RS6lakh max on the Ex-Showroom price in Bangalore, OR a Used car for 4-5 lakh.

Our usage is minimal and will be limited to dropping me to school+groceries in the morning which can amount to 3 km max, and sunday runs spanning <50km.
2 or 3 not-so-long out-station trips are also planned. FE and performance are not great concerns, but comfort and AfSS are badly in need.

We went to first choice and another used car showroom today and were offered -
1. A Chevy Aveo 2006 LS in mint condition for Rs3.5 lakh[surprise](but the car wasn't available for a peek then)
and
2. An NHC ZX 2006 Topend(I think GXi ) with really really clean beige interiors for Rs 5.5 Lakh Nego.

My dad was impressed by the rock-bottom price of the Aveo, while I fell in love with the NHC, for the great car-small price factor.

What we want to know is-
1. Are these good choices?
2. What are the cons?
3. Are these prices reasonable?
and so on.

Please help, so we can soon exhibit TAI stickers on our nearly new car.[;)]

350Z

Core Team
Arkin, when your dad already has a healthy budget of Rs.6 Lakhs with basic requirements, why are you considering going for a used car? A few options which I would recommend in new car market are Maruti Wagon-R, Chevrolet Beat, Ford Figo, Hyundai i20 etc and in the sedans, you can get a brand new feature laden Indigo Manza, Maruti DZire (though waitlist isn’t acceptable) or perhaps, even the Aveo LS in case if dealers are giving hefty discounts because in Delhi a few months back, they were!

Else, if you would still like to know more about the above named used cars, then low price for Aveo is not much of a surprise because this car doesn’t holds any solid resale value. Also, depending upon the exact month and kilometers done, you could get it at even lower price. The deal for NHC looks to be reasonable too but cost of spares could be slightly heavy for pocket. However, in spite of all this, I’d still strongly advice to better opt a new car instead, until you are more inclined on getting the car of a little big size and brand value at lower cost.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Well, we are considering the Dzire ZXi, Manza Safire Aura +, Polo 1.2 Highline and i20 1.2 Asta opt., but for now we might concentrate more on used cars for now, because the cheaper we spend now, the greater is our chance of buying a costlier car after 5-6 years.
Say something like in the range of a Linea or the Next gen ANHC!![glasses]
Besides, small money, big car is tempting.

The truth is, we are looking at both new and used cars now, and will make the final decision later/shortly.[thinking]
Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
5.5lacs for a 2006 NHC ZX GXi is ok, though not really reasonable. Try to negotiate the price to 5lacs which is fair price for a well maintained City. The model you have mentioned is equiped with IDSI engine which is known for its fuel efficiency. My City(with same engine and 2005model) runs upto 17km in a litre of petrol. So dont worry about the fuel efficiency.

Aveo is a good car too but, since you intend to sell it after some year i must tell you that Chevrolet cars dont have good resale value. Also Aveo is not known for its FE but for its interior quality.

For both the cars, have a look at the service manuals to make sure that the car has been serviced timely and by Authorised Service centre.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks Akash.
Bargaining and PDI will of course be done, after finalizing the car model.
However, used car prices are higher in Bangalore, hence something like Rs 5.2-5.3 lakh must be an excellent deal.

Can someone please tell me what is the approx. depreciation % of the NHC ZX?

Hi Arkin,

As others suggested, why are you looking for used cars. Instead of spending 5 to 5.5L for a used car, You can very well go for a new one and you have loads of options now.
From my point of view, you can go for i20. It is feature rich and suits your needs.

As far as used car is concerned, better look city. Aveo neither hold a good resale value nor a satisfactory one. As other said, a well maintained city is preferred.

Thread Starter #8
Hi Arkin,

As others suggested, why are you looking for used cars. Instead of spending 5 to 5.5L for a used car, You can very well go for a new one and you have loads of options now.
From my point of view, you can go for i20. It is feature rich and suits your needs.

As far as used car is concerned, better look city. Aveo neither hold a good resale value nor a satisfactory one. As other said, a well maintained city is preferred.

Thanks Marun, please refer to posts#4 and #6.
We are considering both new and used cars.

350Z

Core Team
Thanks Akash.
Bargaining and PDI will of course be done, after finalizing the car model.
However, used car prices are higher in Bangalore, hence something like Rs 5.2-5.3 lakh must be an excellent deal.

Can someone please tell me what is the approx. depreciation % of the NHC ZX?
Arkin, Do you have more details of both the used cars like Kilometers done, Purchase date etc. so that the price can be evaluated? Also, the condition of car, It's service history etc matters a lot. Actually, finding a model in mint condition in used car market is a lot tougher than it sounds; I say this because I have struggled to search for a good car in approx. same price range like yours. Fortunately found a Cedia at Mahindra First Choice but was disappointed after going deep into details of car.

Drive safe,
350Z

AMG

Suspended
Here is my preference.
1: used aveo for 3.5 lakh(it is worthless to pay more than that for a used car)
2: Indigo Manza
3: Linea
4: i20

Thread Starter #11
Arkin, Do you have more details of both the used cars like Kilometers done, Purchase date etc. so that the price can be evaluated?

Drive safe,
350Z
The NHC ZX has done 42000km, 2006 year (don't recall exact purchase date) Mica in Color, spotlessly clean beige interiors(I wonder how they managed to maintain it that way/clean it to perfection), Alpine Stereo et al.

Also on offer was a 2006 Fiesta TDCi ZXi Silver, spotlessly clean interiors, in the name of 2nd owner, (though it is essentially single owner, as he bought it with the help of his company) done 78000 km, so we were put off.
Offering price something like Rs4.2 lakh.
Is this a decent price?
_______

Well, for now, my dad seems to have changed his mind. He now prefers to spend not much more than 4.5 lakh,(but our 6-lakh budget remains for flexibility in case he changes his mind) as our usage is very limited, and we have our Indigo for daily use. So the NHC ZX is out. The NHC NA is left, but then it will be too old for us. We also want safety features like Airbags and ABS.

So our priorities go like -
1. New WagonR VXi ABS
2. Used Fiesta SXi
3. Used Aveo LT.

EDIT: My dad is very keen on the Aveo because he like the interior comfort (having gone on 2 or 3 long distance trips by hired Aveos) and the rock bottom price. He doesn't seem to be put off by the not-so-high FE and the Resale.

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
Wagon R doesnt have airbags
Fiesta Sxi did not get airbags
Aveo seems to be the best bet.

And i completely agree with your dad.
Aveo seems to be the best bet

Thread Starter #13
Wagon R doesnt have airbags
Fiesta Sxi did not get airbags
Aveo seems to be the best bet.

And i completely agree with your dad.
Aveo seems to be the best bet
WagonR has the option of front Dual SRS airbags and ABS on the Vxi. It has a 2 month waiting period.
I believe the SXi comes and used to come with airbags.
Yes, I think my dad is right.

AMG

Suspended
Wagon R has airbag option only on Zxi, if there is one.
And the fiesta Sxi does not have airbags.

Thread Starter #15
Wagon R has airbag option only on Zxi
WagonR does come with Airbags as an option on th VXi. We ourselves were told by Maruti Salesmen. Look at the website or a brochure too if you want.

WagonR doesn't have a ZXi variant.[cry]

Top Bottom