Adding USB Function To a Non-USB Enabled OEM Head Unit

Re: Add USB functionality in OE HU of Wagon R VXi

Thank you Sandeep. That is a very cheap trick by MSIL. if they are offering it @500 many people will buy it and then the volume sale may compensate for the total amount.
But they have chosen the hard way. Can we write to MSIL about this?
i fee l that MSIL is lacking good customer support these days, i wrote a letter about bad underbody coating done @dealer, they took a lot of time to respond.

Can we all write a letter requesting to reduce the price of MGA USB adapter so that every WagonR VXi user can be benefited? they can charge say~650 (cost of a good FM modulator) or at maximum 1000/-, so that we can have peace of mind (warranty) and have USB support.

or can we make a mass purchase and request for discount? we can communicate with dealers and find out VXi owners who need the adapter and can arrange a mass purchase!

Last edited:

That is a very cheap trick by MSIL. if they are offering it @500 many people will buy it and then the volume sale may compensate for the total amount.
Off course its a Cheap Trick to make money... Imagine, aftermarket HUs costing just 3 - 4K are coming with inbuilt AUX/USB and what not... The why our HU worth 17K (claimed so by Ford) can't come with it at all?

After so much of R & D and market research, if they are intentionally missing this piece of facility, it's for sure that they are for money making and will not even try to hearout your outcry...

Sorry for Bumping again on this thread but did anyone had any luck replacing the OE HU with an after market one?

I do own a Wagon R VXI and planning to replace HU with something double din, however I've noticed that the front dashboard panel has the HU integrated/molded in it, unlike the LXi model.

It seems to replace the HU I need to:
1.) Either cut through the plastic to remove the existing one and then fit in new, which frankly speaking, I am not very sure about.
2.) other option might be replace the part with LXi one since it looks like it has grooves/space to fit a double din.

And one advice I have to anyone buying a new wagon r VXi: If you are a even a little concerned about music quality in car, don't go for it. The integrated stereo in VXi really sucks with no USB /poor sound quality and replacing it already seems like a pain.

Would really appreciate if anyone would share their experience.

Sorry for Bumping again on this thread but did anyone had any luck replacing the OE HU with an after market one?

I do own a Wagon R VXI and planning to replace HU with something double din, however I've noticed that the front dashboard panel has the HU integrated/molded in it, unlike the LXi model.

It seems to replace the HU I need to:
1.) Either cut through the plastic to remove the existing one and then fit in new, which frankly speaking, I am not very sure about.
2.) other option might be replace the part with LXi one since it looks like it has grooves/space to fit a double din.

And one advice I have to anyone buying a new wagon r VXi: If you are a even a little concerned about music quality in car, don't go for it. The integrated stereo in VXi really sucks with no USB /poor sound quality and replacing it already seems like a pain.

Would really appreciate if anyone would share their experience.
If you want to replace the HU then you have to buy the dash kit from MASS. I think the cost is around Rs. 300

if we are replacing the OE HU then we have to change the speakers also. i hate changing because it will spoil the nice clean integrated look. only if there was a USB option, i could have stayed with the OE HU. if we are adding any other HU it may mean wire cutting, losing the parcel tray space etc. why the companies are making items like this?

Hi Guys,

Nice to join you all on TAI. Got to know and join TAI for the same issue. I bought my WagonR VXi on 3-Feb-2012...getting mad about the price for the cable.

I know a person at SP Road who make connectivity cables...will check with him and get back.

Thanks for all the info you guys share! TAI rocks!!!

Hi Guys,

Nice to join you all on TAI. Got to know and join TAI for the same issue. I bought my WagonR VXi on 3-Feb-2012...getting mad about the price for the cable.

I know a person at SP Road who make connectivity cables...will check with him and get back.

Thanks for all the info you guys share! TAI rocks!!!
It is not just the cable you need but it needs adaptor too. Have a look at the pic of it from user manual.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/2565-my-dream-my-car-my-wagon-r-now-cng-3.html#post57610

Let us know if you could find some alternative for the same.

Glad that lot of people are looking for an alternative. I myself had made many enquirers. I have visited lot of Repair centres etc.

Most of them advice using FM modulator. But there should be an alternative. Even MSIL has converted the CD-Changer port for the USB. so there must be aftermarket products available.

I think MGP will be cheaper than MGA. if so, we may also try the adapter which comes standard in SX4. I tried asking the price at many places but couldn't get it.

You can confirm this with your dealer. Adding on, i would suggest you to go with Pioneer's products. I am personally using pioneer amps & audio player & its simply owesome. In terms of pricing & servicing, pioneer is again best. Latest innovation, they have launched hi-tech Mixtrax technology that has taken music into new world. I would request you to go with Pioneer products. For more details, you can check their website- Car Audio Video Equipments

You can confirm this with your dealer. Adding on, i would suggest you to go with Pioneer's products. I am personally using pioneer amps & audio player & its simply owesome. In terms of pricing & servicing, pioneer is again best. Latest innovation, they have launched hi-tech Mixtrax technology that has taken music into new world. I would request you to go with Pioneer products. For more details, you can check their website- Car Audio Video Equipments
Moving to another HU means damaging the dashboard. I am not much of an ICE guy, (we all and not particular about music on the go) but there times when we use it, and FM may not be there at that time i hope i have USB functionality.

Till now I am using my phone connected via Aux In to listen to music. The same song played with this setup and if played after burning CD, anyone can see lot of difference. The CD quality is anytime better than Aux In.

Replaced phone with iPod again the same result.

I am just searching how can I achieve the good quality without using CDs.

In the Wagon R accessories section I see the bluethooth device which can be connected to HU and HU backside has provision to connect it.

Can't we add this unit and play music from phone? Again anybody know the price of it?

Till now I am using my phone connected via Aux In to listen to music. The same song played with this setup and if played after burning CD, anyone can see lot of difference. The CD quality is anytime better than Aux In.

Replaced phone with iPod again the same result.

I am just searching how can I achieve the good quality without using CDs.

In the Wagon R accessories section I see the bluethooth device which can be connected to HU and HU backside has provision to connect it.

Can't we add this unit and play music from phone? Again anybody know the price of it?
while using BlueTooth the quality might remain the same, moreover still we have to use the Phone to change tracks, (while driving this can be difficult) and the phone battery will drain fast.

if we use the USB the same quality can be achieved, as the mp3 CDs. (for ACD or Audi CD this is different)

the stock HU has a CD changer port in the rear side, which can be connected to the USB adapter, someone who is skilled in electronics can reverse engineer the device and make it. i have contacted lot of people, including many good repair centers but since they don't have a Stok Nippon HU they can't try it.

while using BlueTooth the quality might remain the same, moreover still we have to use the Phone to change tracks, (while driving this can be difficult) and the phone battery will drain fast.

if we use the USB the same quality can be achieved, as the mp3 CDs. (for ACD or Audi CD this is different)
The Bluetooth Audio in my Figo sounds best (similar to CD quality) compared to AUX obviously. Moreover, I dont have to use the phone to change tracks as the HU buttons works in lieu. But, this depends on the "AV Remote", a Bluetooth option in the phone and it's compitablity with the system. Some phones, won't allow this as well.

I always have been hearing from fellow Figoians that USB sounds THE BEST compared to CD or even Bluetooth Audio. Guess, I need to shell out bloody 1200 buck and get one[anger].

The Bluetooth Audio in my Figo sounds best (similar to CD quality) compared to AUX obviously.
Totally agree, this works great in Figo. The idea came to mind after seeing the similar setup in one of Figo.

lxi.

Suspended

Is it possible to add USB functionality in Sony GTX270s? It has a port for AUX! I am confused.

And, Is there any way in which I can connect my pohne (For music) to my HU?

Top Bottom