Accuracy of Mileage Displayed on MID

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

As we all know now-a-days many cars display the Mileage on display (MID).
But have you guys verified the accuracy of that Mileage ? If yes please share your views, if no, please verify once.

I currently own Nissan Micra XV diesel, It also shows mileage on MID as well as distance to empty. I always verify the accuracy of this Mileage.
1. 1st run - Mileage on screen - 26.2 Kmpl , Actual Calculated Mileage (tankful-tankful) - 25.1 Kmpl.
2. 2nd run - Mileage on screen - 27.4 Kmpl, Actual Calculated Mileage - 24.7 Kmpl. [without reseting MID]

- The above figures are for Mix of City and Highway run [with 50% AC]

If we do not reset the mileage on MID, every time we refill fuel, the MID mileage will not be accurate. [anger]

Last edited:
Re: Accuracy of Mileage displayed on MID.

It does not calculate litre by litre or mile by mile.all it does is display the generic values which seems most appropriate .they are based on a crude mechanism like rate of flow and level in tank with least resolution of 3 or like. so one can rely on them for a rough estimate just for precautions.it seems most of them are insensitive to last 5+ litre .

All New Honda City mileage meter reliability

I own a All new honda city, and one of the features that is has is to show the running mileage of the car over a distance.

I wanted to get the observation from other owners about the reliability of the figure that is shown. because as per my normal calculation the car is showing more.

Re: Accuracy of Mileage Displayed on MID.

Car MID always show more, as per my personal knowledge, it does not takes into consideration the fuel burnt when car was standing idle in traffic.

How accurate is average mileage displayed on MID

After clocking close to 2 lacs of all forms of riding and driving various automobiles, now I have come across this average mileage displayed on MID of my brand new Ciaz which showcasea an average mileage of 16+ per liter of petrol.

I am not trying to discuss the fuel efficiency of Ciaz here.

Just wanted to know from the experts in this forum is the numbers displayed in the MID of all vehicles accurate? If not to what extent is the difference as compared to full tank to full tank method of mileage calculation.

The reason for asking this question at this stage of my auto enthusiastic life is all my earlier 4 wheelers did not have this average mileage display in the MID and my calculation on mileage on full tank to full tank method was 95% accurate.

I own a honda city (diesel). I observed that it's MID shows approx. 2 kmpl higher value than tank fill to tank fill method. But i can not complain because there are so many loop holes in tank fill to tank fill calculation method. Company might say, fuel measurement method is faulty.
Also, i have observed one thing, the speed shown on my GPS device is almost always 4-5 kmph lower than shown in odo when cruising on speed higher than 50-60 kmph. i do not understand what it the correct measurement.
can some one suggest how to measure car mileage/ speed accurately, or which measurement is correct.

Car MID always show more, as per my personal knowledge, it does not takes into consideration the fuel burnt when car was standing idle in traffic.
That's not true. I have seen the MID figures dipping when the vehicle is not in movement and with the A/C on.

The MID fuel average shown on my Duster and Vento are fairly accurate. They do get reduced in idling.

The MID figure shown on my All new Fiesta is 10% more than real tankful values.

I analyse my fuel average based on distance travelled for 5000kms and dividing by total fuel used until then which in my thought would be very accurate.

Based on that here below are the fuel efficiency of my cars.
1. Vento Tsi - 15.17
2. Duster AWD - 14.22
3. All new Fiesta 1.5D - 23.53

That's not true. I have seen the MID figures dipping when the vehicle is not in movement and with the A/C on.
Hello jonahmano

Which car is it? I am hearing this for the first time that the average FE on MID dips on idling/no throttle situation and change based on AC usage.

Regards,
Alpha

MID adjusts on idling on Vento and All new Fiesta as well. These are 2 cars I own and noticed. DTE on MID in Vento Tsi can reduce by 1 to 1.5 kmpl on idling of 15 to 20 mins.

Re: All New Honda City mileage meter reliability

I own a All new honda city, and one of the features that is has is to show the running mileage of the car over a distance.

I wanted to get the observation from other owners about the reliability of the figure that is shown. because as per my normal calculation the car is showing more.
I think you are trying to say about real time f.e. indicator. I don't think it is accurate. Mine is petrol version. But when driving on highways,the indicator shows mileage between 15-30. Mostly near 30 kmpl when driving with a light foot. But the MID shows near 16kmpl. Yes, it is real time F.E., but after showing near 30kmpl for a long time, there is no increase in MID mileage and it is near 16kmpl. Even if i put the car in cruise control when the indicator is near 30kmpl,there is no increase in MID mileage.

Last edited:

Hello jonahmano

Which car is it? I am hearing this for the first time that the average FE on MID dips on idling/no throttle situation and change based on AC usage.

Regards,
Alpha

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Diesel SHVS

The fact of the matter is the car consumes more fuel during idling than while driven in the top gear. So, the average displayed on the MID has to adjust itself.

Top Bottom