About Gear Ratios in Toyota Innova

Thread Starter #1
I am generally feeling quite good driving my new Innova. Just a quick summary about the pros and cons before I touch on the gear ratios:

Pros:
- Spacious interiors of excellent quality (all parts)
- Very comfortable seats
- Good driver seat position (ergonomics)
- Good steering and efficient turning radius
- Superb ride quality
- Good engine (noisy though) and gear box
- Excellent low end torque

Cons:
- No automatic transmission (it's available in all small Asian countries)
- Noisy engine
- Thin body

About gear ratios:
Surprisingly I am able to move the car easily in second gear without even touching the accelerator. I press the accelerator only after the clutch is fully engaged - and by that time the car's picked up enough speed. The car offers awesome low-end torque. Hardly any vibrations. Please note that my experiences here are with 4 passengers including the driver (2 adults, 2 kids) on flat road. First gear is basically useful for that extra punch of torque if required. The gear ratios are similar to a truck.

Now at the speed of >= 30 I am able to move up to 3rd gear. At >= 40 it's comfortable at 4th gear. Between 45 and 50 the drivetrain allows me to move up to 5th gear on flat road with low NVH.

Now what do I do at >= 55 or 60? My gears are exhausted. That's it! At that point, I wish the engine and transmission could send a S.O.S message to Toyota like the Airbus aircrafts do. Toyota-Cho, we have a problem. 6th gear is missing. And Sir, possibly we have the 7th gear missing as well.

No wonder at >= 90 the engine starts becoming noisy.

Given the road conditions in India, I think the Innova is super awesome up to 80-100 speed. Realistically this should work out in driver's favor over 90% of the time. Also, Innova kinda forces you to drive safely since you won't be too happy with the engine noise beyond 120. I think Toyata just got it right! The gear ratios perfectly suit the taxi drivers who drive all day. Also, no wonder it's the vehicle of choice for hill driving giving you enough cornering confidence. Of course the private owners also love driving the Innova since it offers excellent level of space and comfort. And you don't seem to get tired driving an Innova. Last but most important, whatever is offered is of very high quality. In the last 2 months 5 people including me ended up buying the Innova not out of choice but due to lack of other options. A six speed automatic Toyota Innova would have been God sent.

It's sad that none of the car manufacturers in India are able to produce a vehicle better than Innova in that particular big van segment.

Last edited:
its the same in almost among all suv's. scorpio was some what quiet at that speed . i think they purposefully design such gear ratios so that you could feel that torque in almost every gear and at every speed and feel like king of road . even safari (old one) roars at 120 kph. but the driving pleasure and comfort are something to be appreciated

Last edited:
The gear ratios are similar to a truck.

You made me [lol] .... its noway in terms of a truck even if you didn't mean it that way.

Adding up more about innova..

*The one car/muv which can carry 6 people Comfortably for how many ever kms you wish to munch, no body pain what so ever..
*People think its a cab, yes if people think that way its a premium cab*You dont have to go gaga over its perfomance, but nothing to match it in its class..
*Outstanding reliablitly of the vehicle have driven it through 5 states for 2800 kms with no halt (2 drivers) during an emergency
*One of the most safest speedster in the class, no other vehicle can match its speed & safety balancing in the same par, try doing a160KMH and braking in any muv

well people dont do that speeds but it perfoms there and no other Muv can outclass it in the relevant situation

*Its an absolute workhorse, from the toyota stable after the camry this one is my all time favourite
*Being said all this the only one who owns this MUV would understand it

I have written it after being on long drives in almost all muv's and suv's
Xylo, sumo, safari, scorpio, tavera, ford endy and had test driven ertiga & duster too

If people contradict to this i would tell you should experience atlest a 20K kms of ownership with an innova, so that you touch all bases where it performs to know its actual capability

after sales Service is not much costly and always in par with my swift, but that was not the same with my uncle's 4 year association with Ford endy

Thread Starter #4
The gear ratios are similar to a truck.

You made me [lol] .... its noway in terms of a truck even if you didn't mean it that way.

Adding up more about innova..

*The one car/muv which can carry 6 people Comfortably for how many ever kms you wish to munch, no body pain what so ever..
*People think its a cab, yes if people think that way its a premium cab*You dont have to go gaga over its perfomance, but nothing to match it in its class..
*Outstanding reliablitly of the vehicle have driven it through 5 states for 2800 kms with no halt (2 drivers) during an emergency
*One of the most safest speedster in the class, no other vehicle can match its speed & safety balancing in the same par, try doing a160KMH and braking in any muv

well people dont do that speeds but it perfoms there and no other Muv can outclass it in the relevant situation

*Its an absolute workhorse, from the toyota stable after the camry this one is my all time favourite
*Being said all this the only one who owns this MUV would understand it

I have written it after being on long drives in almost all muv's and suv's
Xylo, sumo, safari, scorpio, tavera, ford endy and had test driven ertiga & duster too

If people contradict to this i would tell you should experience atlest a 20K kms of ownership with an innova, so that you touch all bases where it performs to know its actual capability

after sales Service is not much costly and always in par with my swift, but that was not the same with my uncle's 4 year association with Ford endy
Thanks for your positive comments about the Innova. Even though I am yet to drive the Innova much, I agree with all your points based on all the feedback that I've got from umpteen Innova veterans.

I've reflected the same in the concluding line of my post. It's worth repeating here:
It's sad that none of the car manufacturers in India are able to produce a vehicle better than Innova in that particular big van segment.

Actually I could amend that further in Innova's favor:
It's sad that none of the car manufacturers (Indian and foreign) are able to produce a vehicle better than Innova in that particular big van segment.

Mind you, this is true in 0-25L (may be 35L?) price bracket.

Thread Starter #6
why does people call it van?
Now a big Van?
Such vehicles are generally called "vans" in many countries across North America and Europe. In fact they are called "minivans". We could call it a car or a van or a minivan. You're right, "big" tag is probably not required anymore, now that we've quite a few big size vehicles in India. During the Omni van days, "big" would've made more sense.

Neither do I take the "van" tag seriously nor the "big" tag seriously. I am ok calling it whatever as long as we know we're referring to Innova (or may be Evalia).

Last edited:
I could not see innova as van.
It seems more like a perfect crossover. Its handelling and ride quality is very good.
i would call van a van, when it have a boxy shape ,lower power for vfm,huge body roll due too simple suspension setup and targeted for comercial side not family mover.

Innova is more of a car for me so I see it as a xover and India have accepted it as xover.But
yeah the engine noise is big big let down.

Top Bottom