A Weekend Trip To Baranti (Purulia, West Bengal) During Monsoon.

Thread Starter #1
Gentlemen,
Last month had a short trip to a lesser known place called Baranti, in Purulia district of West Bengal. This place is close to Asansol. Came to know of this place first in this forum and then came across few photos if it in Facebook. A quick search of the place on the net made me beleive that the accommodation was basic but the place was good to spend a weekend. And I had nothing to complaint. Please see more about it here. Even driving directions has been provided at this link.
I take good care of my car and was already sure that although it was about seven year's old, still it was in very nice shape and absolutely no check up of it was necessary. Just filled it up till the brim and it was ready for the move.
Left my home in Cossipore (in North Calcutta) at about half past six in the morning, accompanied by my wife and daughter. All of you who have moved by car through this stretch of NH 2 are aware that this road is great fun to drive. But the sky was very much overcast and it started to rain heavily after I crossed Barddhaman.
004.jpg
001.jpg
009.jpg
Had to reduce speed and drive cautiously. And as my car does not have fog-lamps, switching on the headlamps at low beam helped. Unfortunately had a tyre puncture, the first possibly in a year, ever since I had started to use Michelin XM1+ tyres. It was just before Panagarh. Fortunately my wife could see a tyre puncture shop just on the opposite side of the road. The tyre repair shop attendant (in red shirt) was not at all familiar with tubeless tyres but I keep a tubeless repair kit in my car as an emergency and it helped. With slight instruction he could fix the tyre. And my daughter did not waste this opportunity to get out of the car. She even enjoyed the rain and the highway (although later was persuaded by her mother to have an umbrella), while the tyre mechanic and myself was busy with the tyre.
010.jpg
Sadly, the condition of the road has deteriorated lately, after Panagarh, as there were few potholes of varying sizes on this road. And also in many places the tar has melted and rolled, possibly due to the weight of heavy vehicles on this road, causing small bumps and uneven surfaces.
014.jpg
017.jpg
I do not use any GPS device, although I took a printout of my destination from Google maps. I took the slightly longer route via Asansol (over the Raniganj-Mejhia route), in anticipation of a better road surface. But an esteemed and trusted friend of mine, who travels really a lot, asked me to bypass Asansol, as the GT road is often crowded and usually remains very congested. I took a left turn from NH 2 at a place called Chowringee More, after crossing the Asansol toll plaza and travelling another three or four KM.
The road was not so good, yet manageable. It improved again after crossing G. T. Road.
018.jpg
019.jpg
This is the grand chord rail line of Eastern Railway, through which Sealah/Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani Expresses pass. On the left is Asansol station, while Dhanbad is at right.
020.jpg
This road will cross G. T. Road at a place known as Niyamatpur. And this is the road to Dishergarh (in Barddhaman district).
022.jpg
The road bridge over river Damodar.
024.jpg
I felt relieved to see good roads again. At the other side of the river is the district of Purulia. The road goes straight to Rahghunathpur and Puruliya.
This place is called Sarbari More.
027.jpg
I had no idea that roads in West Bengal are still this good, considering these rainy season.
028.jpg
029.jpg
I was asked to take a narrow road from Subhash More. The road is narrow but OK, passing through small villages of rural Bengal.
030.jpg
034.jpg
This is my first view of the lake, from a distance.
037.jpg
041.jpg
This is after we reached our destination.
045.jpg
Thanks for reading. Please feel free to comment, if it is not up to the your satisfaction. I shall post the remaining portion of my trip soon.
Regards.

Last edited:
Re: A weekend trip to Baranti (Purulia, West Bengal)) during monsoon.

Hi Rahul, Saw a oicture of yours of this trip in Face book and since then was waiting for a update. Thanks for the write up.

Why don't you upload the google map which you were forllowing for a better understanding.

Also just wanted to know if you yorself can handle a puncture in the tubeless tyres. Was in Falta yesterday and discovered in the morning that had a flat tyre. Surprise of surprises even my spare tyre inside wall had swollen and broken.[frustration]

So took the main tyre to a roadside shop who was handling cycle tyres also. But he did the job in 5 mins flat. Returned to Kolkata with that,

Great Pictures Mr. Rahul. Ya it should be very common in indian road when we go for a trip it is for sure that atleast a small stretch of road is bad. Its common every where. Even in tamil nadu you can face this.

And as other iam also waiting for your picture. BTW, your daughter looks cute with that umberla with the smokky background at the sky.

Thread Starter #5
Re: A weekend trip to Baranti (Purulia, West Bengal)) during monsoon.

your daughter looks cute with that umberla with the smokky background at the sky.
Thanks a lot, Mr. Murugan.
Hi Rahul, Why don't you upload the google map which you were forllowing for a better understanding.
Chandranathda, the route is not at all difficult to locate. While coming from Calcutta, simply cross the Asansol toll plaza on NH2, drive for another three or four KM until you see a traffic signal. This place is called Chowringhee More. The road at your right goes to Chittaranjan and Jamtara. You please take a left turn, to reach G.T. Road and this is the place known as Niyamatpur. Now just take the road to Dishergarh, which straight goes to Raghunathpur and Purulia. You only have to locate this Subhash More to reach Baranti.
Also just wanted to know if you yorself can handle a puncture in the tubeless tyres.
Sorry I did not have the opportunity to do it myself. But you must have seen others doing the same. I am sure that I may be able to do it myself, if need arises. Just keep a tubeless puncture kit with your car. They are available with any big tyre shop and also on ebay, costing three hundred rupees or so.

Thread Starter #6
Gentlemen,
There was no other good restaurant anywhere possibly within a 20 KM radius of Baranti village and one had to remain fully dependant on the kitchen of the hotel. But they served good Bengali foods, consisting of rice, dal, vegetable curry, bhaji, fish curry and chutney. I ate much and fell asleep.
After waking up at around half past four in the afternoon, I had a good look at the hotel complex. It actually had a very large compound (one acre of land), where Sal trees were planted for commercial purpose. It had possibly six rooms, two rooms at a single storied building and four rooms on this two storied one.
071.jpg
We were given a room at the upper floor. The room was spacious, had a good clean bed, running water and western type toilet. The only other boarders were three nice young gentlemen on the room next to ours. They joined me over a cup of afternoon tea. They had visited these areas before and told me that they were now going to see the weekly afternoon market on a nearby village named Madhukunda. When I told them that I was thinking of going to Joychandi Hill (a small hillock actually), they changed their plan and joined us. They were even familiar with the roads, so I started to follow their car.
The afternoon view of Baranti dam.
046.jpg
047.jpg
The road leading to Raghunathpur, where Joychandi Hill is located.
074.jpg
Joychandi Hill from a distance.
092.jpg
This is the place in Raghunathpur town where one has to take a left turn from Purulia Road, to reach the hill. Straight ahead is the town of Purulia, while the right hand side road goes towards Santaldih power plant of West Bengal State Electricity Board.
050.jpg
Approaching the hill.
052.jpg
054.jpg
066.jpg
Me and my daughter at the base of the hill.
063.jpg
There was not much time left, as evening had set after sometime. So all of us had to return back. There was nothing much to do after returning back to our hotel, although sitting by the side of the lake was definitely enjoyable.
Thanks for reading. I shall post the remaining portion of our trip soon.
Regards.

Gentlemen,
There was no other good restaurant anywhere possibly within a 20 KM radius of Baranti village and one had to remain fully dependant on the kitchen of the hotel. But they served good Bengali foods, consisting of rice, dal, vegetable curry, bhaji, fish curry and chutney. I ate much and fell asleep.
After waking up at around half past four in the afternoon, I had a good look at the hotel complex. It actually had a very large compound (one acre of land), where Sal trees were planted for commercial purpose. It had possibly six rooms, two rooms at a single storied building and four rooms on this two storied one.
View attachment 61019
We were given a room at the upper floor. The room was spacious, had a good clean bed, running water and western type toilet. The only other boarders were three nice young gentlemen on the room next to ours. They joined me over a cup of afternoon tea. They had visited these areas before and told me that they were now going to see the weekly afternoon market on a nearby village named Madhukunda. When I told them that I was thinking of going to Joychandi Hill (a small hillock actually), they changed their plan and joined us. They were even familiar with the roads, so I started to follow their car.
The afternoon view of Baranti dam.
View attachment 61012
View attachment 61013
The road leading to Raghunathpur, where Joychandi Hill is located.
View attachment 61020
Joychandi Hill from a distance.
View attachment 61021
This is the place in Raghunathpur town where one has to take a left turn from Purulia Road, to reach the hill. Straight ahead is the town of Purulia, while the right hand side road goes towards Santaldih power plant of West Bengal State Electricity Board.
View attachment 61014
Approaching the hill.
View attachment 61015
View attachment 61016
View attachment 61018
Me and my daughter at the base of the hill.
View attachment 61017
There was not much time left, as evening had set after sometime. So all of us had to return back. There was nothing much to do after returning back to our hotel, although sitting by the side of the lake was definitely enjoyable.
Thanks for reading. I shall post the remaining portion of our trip soon.
Regards.
Rahul,

Good crisp review !! Thank you for making us to know about a new place in West Bengal. Pics are good, looking forward for your post on remaining trip

Mr. Rahul,

Being we are very far away from WB, we may not know whether we will be drive ourselves there [even we visit these places] by seeing your picture I felt I was litrelly driving those places and enjoy it.

Thanks for the nice pics and write-up. When you talk about those bengali food, my mouthe is watering. Hope to hop in there one day enjoy the food. I have been to kolkotta I had foods at some local shops at platforms which I like very much.

Expecting lot of TL from you with lot of pictures and information so that it will be very useful for us who are very far away.

Sethu

Thread Starter #9
Rahul,
Good crisp review !! Thank you for making us to know about a new place in West Bengal. Pics are good, looking forward for your post on remaining trip
Thanks a lot Sir, for your kind and encouraging words.[clap]

Being we are very far away from WB, we may not know whether we will be drive ourselves there [even we visit these places] by seeing your picture I felt I was litrelly driving those places and enjoy it. Expecting lot of TL from you with lot of pictures and information so that it will be very useful for us who are very far away.
Dear Mr. Murugan, Visiting Baranti is not very difficult, because it is only thirty KM or so from NH2 (Delhi-Calcutta Highway) and is connected with a good road. And there are few interesting places in the vicinity, which will keep you occupied for a short trip. And the accommodation in this place is also very cheap.
When you talk about those bengali food, my mouthe is watering. Hope to hop in there one day enjoy the food. I have been to kolkotta I had foods at some local shops at platforms which I like very much.
Very nice to know that you are fond of Bengali dishes. I am very much sure that you will again visit Calcutta and can certainly enjoy more of your favourite Bengali foods. [:)]

Thread Starter #11
Gentelmen,
Sorry for the delay. The last day on my trip to Purulia I first went to Purulia town.
The Adra Purulia train line.
072.jpg
With a very nice road, it was just a fun driving on the beautiful state road. 074.jpg
There was not much traffic, but I had to drive cautiously as the motor-cyclists in this road were not much aware of their own safety.
082.jpg
083.jpg
084.jpg
I did not know what this was but it was parked in the side of the road.
154.jpg
While returning back from Purulia, locating the narrow road leading towards Panchet dam was slightly difficult for me, as I do not employ any GPS device. But managed to find it after asking the locals. This is the starting of the road. It is a narrow road and passes through densely forested areas.
094.jpg
095.jpg
098.jpg
I was inquisitive to know what might be the danger and went on this road to have a first hand look. But had to turn back only after half a KM due to very bad road. May be next time I shall drive a tractor and see it myself. [frustration]
Untitled-1.jpg
Photography is restricted on Panchet dam and reservoir, so I shall only post few photos.
103.jpg
110.jpg
115.jpg
119.jpg
A view of the approach from the western side, which is in the state of Jharkhand. The eastern side is in West Bengal.
117.jpg
Then I went to see the ruins of Garh Panckot. Please read about it here:-The story of a defeated king
Actually I had to turn back all the way, reach the main road and drive only less than a KM to find the approach road. The road passes through small villages.
141.jpg
142.jpg
143.jpg
And inside the Garh (Fort).
124.jpg
125.jpg
127.jpg
129.jpg
130.jpg
There was nothing much to write, except that it was out last day at that place. And I now think that there are many unknown places in throughout our country, which enables us to have a good and enjoyable stay for a few days.
The return trip on the morning of the next day was smooth, except for a brief traffic jam at Panagarh, where I had to waste fifteen or twenty minutes.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Just wondering what was the danger if you drive it up to Garpanchokot that they have mentioned in the milestones
i think i can answer you. the hills & forests around garpancahkot & adjacent areas are home to various wild animals which are not so friendly with humans, and hence the danger! if you notice the text in Bengali, & the images below you will understand.

Wonderful photo's sir, look's like you have first gen Indigo and you have really maintained her well,last 3 photo's reminded of Lara Croft Movie[;)]

i think i can answer you. the hills & forests around garpancahkot & adjacent areas are home to various wild animals which are not so friendly with humans, and hence the danger! if you notice the text in Bengali, & the images below you will understand.
Hey Souvic, Like the old shippy Captain Haddock in your avatar picture.

Top Bottom