A Weekend Drive: Bangalore To Coorg

Thread Starter #1
Background:

Wifey & me wanted to celebrated our anniversary in a relaxing manner. So, the research for places and resorts started. Usually this will be my wife's portfolio because being a Doc, she has the patience to research & select the best resort for our trips [clap] We could not spare more than 2 days for the trip. So selected Kushalnagar, Coorg as the destination and Amanavana Nature resort & Spa has the stay place.

Basic Stats:

> No of pax: 2
> Distance travelled: @ 500 kms both ways
> MID Mileage: @ 19 kmpl with AC

The Journey:

We started on Sunday (17th Feb) early morning @ 6 am from my place (Basavanagudi, Blore). On the way stops were - Kamat Janapada loka for breakfast and Navaneetha Krishna temple in Channapatna. From there straight headed towards Kushalnagar through SH 17 & Mysore - Coorg bypass. Roads are in pretty good condition but SH 17 known for its notorious humps and wayward driving, one cant zip through unlike other NHs.

The Stay:

It was an amazingly relaxing experience at Amanvana Resorts. Rates were on a touch higher side when compared to normal resorts but it was truly worth the money! Excellent service, superb ambience, fantastic spa facility to unwind and relax! Staff were very courteous and catered to our needs very well.

Time for few pics:

Attachments

Hi there carfreak, even i was in Coorg on 17th, but i was returning from Mangalore.

It was raining in the afternoon.

It was a splendid weather and roads too, which i did after 1 & half years.

Good to have known that even you too enjoyed the Coorg.

I had been to Omkareshwara temple and Rajas Seat.

We saw a few biker gang with R1 and Hayabusa on this stretch.

Btw where does that Krishna temple comes?

Pics are splendid, liked the final pic and your Punto in CCD.

Waiting for some more pics.[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
^^ Oh we were so close of bumping into each other but yet it dint happen [cry] My resort was at Kushalnagar and it dint rain a drop over there! The Krishna temple is in Channapatna, Doddamallur. It also known as Aprameya Swamy temple. Just as you will be exiting Channapatna, keep an eye for an arch on left side. Take a left here and you can see the temple. Refer this link for further details - http://www.vishnutemplesofkarnataka.info/Bang/dodamallur.htm Its an historical temple and devinely beautiful !

Last edited:
@Carfreak

Nice trip and pics man.

That stay looks to be awesome

What is the time taken to reach coorg and again back to Bangalore

What was the tariff at that stay and do you have any other pics of sight seeing around there[:)]

Thread Starter #5
@ Gurrala, many thanks for liking the pics. Yes, the stay was indeed a relaxing and rejuvenating one. The resort was at Kushalnagar. Blore to this place is @ 225 kms which would take appx 4.5 - 5 hrs depending on driving style and Blore-Mysore highway traffic. From Kushalnagar to Madikeri is @ 30 kms more which is like major town of Coorg. Tariff was @ 11,500 per night inclusive of food. After some negotiations, could manage discount and got Spa gift voucher for couple of thousands. Its worth spending money on this resort if anyone wants to just relax, celebrate some occassion, spend time in the resort and not keen on venturing out. Then its worth the money spent.

Since we had decided to spend relaxing time in the resort, we did not venture out much. Also we had been to Coorg earlier. So, sorry dont have sight seeing pics. However, here are few more pics from the resort for you [clap]

Attachments

OMG !! Rs.11k+ for one night, that is pretty costly man. But anyway when I look at the pics of the resort it may be worth also.

In normal accommodation(may not be a resort) what will be the price range, it should be a decent one. Do we get such things in madikeri ??

Thread Starter #7
In normal accommodation(may not be a resort) what will be the price range, it should be a decent one. Do we get such things in madikeri ??
Places to see in & around Coorg - Iruppu falls, Kaveri Nisargadhama, Dubare Elephant camp (kids will enjoy), Brahmagiri hill, Raja's seat (View point in Madikeri), Abbey falls, Golden temple (Tibetian colony), Talakaveri (birth place oof river kaveri) etc. You can shortlist based on personal preference. In case you are interested in rafting, check for rafting season and plan. Coorg does offer river rafting activity. There are numerous home stays and decent priced resorts to choose. Shall check my memory lane and will give few pointers for homestays & resorts

Places to see in & around Coorg - Iruppu falls, Kaveri Nisargadhama, Dubare Elephant camp (kids will enjoy), Brahmagiri hill, Raja's seat (View point in Madikeri), Abbey falls, Golden temple (Tibetian colony), Talakaveri (birth place oof river kaveri) etc. You can shortlist based on personal preference. In case you are interested in rafting, check for rafting season and plan. Coorg does offer river rafting activity. There are numerous home stays and decent priced resorts to choose. Shall check my memory lane and will give few pointers for homestays & resorts
Oh, lot of things to see there,

I was just thinking about it as our meet got turned down, otherwise we could have gone there, so if I have to go some time in this summer as I have my elder B-I-L stay in Bangalore, so if I want to take some time off, then I can opt for this.

Ofcourse who knows we may start one more meet thread "TAI south India meet" at coorg[clap] very soon.

Any way the details are not urgent and I can discuss with you in person when I meet you in Bangalore soon. And in case if I plan a family trip to coorg then, I will tempt you to come with me again so that my life will be easy(not so search for any thing)[:)]

Wonderfull pics. Beautyfull yet clam place to spend 2 or 3 off days. Thanks for sharing pics and information.

However, how was the road condition to Coorg? we are planning an early morning (4:00 AM) trip from Bangalore - Kasargod tomorrow. We have planned to go from Bangalore via Mysore - Hunsur - Madikkeri - Sullya - Cherkkala - Kasargod. Any idea about the road condition and place for breaks?

Wonderfull pics. Beautyfull yet clam place to spend 2 or 3 off days. Thanks for sharing pics and information.

However, how was the road condition to Coorg? we are planning an early morning (4:00 AM) trip from Bangalore - Kasargod tomorrow. We have planned to go from Bangalore via Mysore - Hunsur - Madikkeri - Sullya - Cherkkala - Kasargod. Any idea about the road condition and place for breaks?
Hi there Gns_Blr, which vehicle are you commuting?

Here is my recent update on the stretch I had done in Feb.

Here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151409879909565&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10151409911154565&type=1

I would highly suggest you the Shiradi Ghat route, if you don't intend to visit Coorg.

Last edited:
Thanks Mr. Mukesh.
The photos posted in FB is informative and helpfull for many who plan for a trip on this route. appreciate your efforts for such an update.
Yeah we are 4 going on a Dezire (3 year old) . We have plans to leave early morning and reach our destination (Kasargod) by 12:00 - 1:00 pm.
How long we have to fight with those pot-holes? I think since you went a month back, things could have changed a bit now?
We are not sure about the alternate route. W heard about an alternate route through Hassan but no one among our crew had prior experience on that route.
Your pics suggest to avoid that route but yeah, we have few more hours to think..

Thanks Mr. Mukesh.
The photos posted in FB is informative and helpfull for many who plan for a trip on this route. appreciate your efforts for such an update.
Yeah we are 4 going on a Dezire (3 year old) . We have plans to leave early morning and reach our destination (Kasargod) by 12:00 - 1:00 pm.
How long we have to fight with those pot-holes? I think since you went a month back, things could have changed a bit now?
We are not sure about the alternate route. W heard about an alternate route through Hassan but no one among our crew had prior experience on that route.
Your pics suggest to avoid that route but yeah, we have few more hours to think..
Gns_Blr have a look into this thread.

Here:http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...hpur-mangalore-road-condition.html#post277601

If you have any more queries do feel free to ask.

If you leave Bangalore at 5 am, you can reach easily Kasargod around 12 pm.

Why I wouldn't suggest you the route via Madikeri is there are lot of stones , though the dusty road is even.
Single lane in few stretches can leave you behind construction lorries.

The road is in this condition esp after Sullya.

Till Madikeri it's in Superb condition.

And don't expect any refreshments enroute this place after Madikeri till Sullya.

@ Gurrala, many thanks for liking the pics. Yes, the stay was indeed a relaxing and rejuvenating one. The resort was at Kushalnagar. Blore to this place is @ 225 kms which would take appx 4.5 - 5 hrs depending on driving style and Blore-Mysore highway traffic. From Kushalnagar to Madikeri is @ 30 kms more which is like major town of Coorg. Tariff was @ 11,500 per night inclusive of food. After some negotiations, could manage discount and got Spa gift voucher for couple of thousands. Its worth spending money on this resort if anyone wants to just relax, celebrate some occassion, spend time in the resort and not keen on venturing out. Then its worth the money spent. Since we had decided to spend relaxing time in the resort, we did not venture out much. Also we had been to Coorg earlier. So, sorry dont have sight seeing pics. However, here are few more pics from the resort for you [clap]
Great Pics there carfreak. Cost wise looks quite expensive but the pics suggest is worth spending. Excellent click with CCD background to your RED HOT Punto.

Thanks Mr. Mukesh.
I have visited last year to coorg. You can find the link here. Shoot any queries if you have. Happy to help.

hmmm back in Bangalore. thanks for your help and suggestions extended. Our plan was to go Kasargod first and on the way return have another meet at Iritty.

95% of raod towards kasargod was good. As per your guidance we have selected this route to reach Kasargod.
(Nelamangala - Hasan - Sakleshpr - Jalsur - Sullya - Chengala - Kasargod)
Journey was good except a small stretch (maximum 5KM) between Sakleshpur and Jalsur. Ofcourse, the road towards sullya from Subrahmanya (about 10-15 km)was too narrow for two cars to cross.

On return we came from Iritty to Bangalore via Iritty - Virajpet- Sidhapur - Ammathi - Hunsur. The road is Ok except a stretch between Amathi - Hunsur (about 20 - 25 KM). Otherwise the journey was good.

few pics uploaded here

few pics of road works happening between Sidhapur - Ammathi

Attachments

Top Bottom