A Wait Ends and a Journey Begins: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Silver AT

# sharpshooter in accessories
Clear lens tail & smoked head lamps are available.
Head unit for full slot is available.original bug deflectors for hood,roof mount cross bar led lights.fog light replacement with led drl.

Thread Starter #17
Hi Appu, thanks for your wishes. Incarnation, we think alike. I was very impatient and if not “Make in India” I implemented “Buy in India”. This is what I bought, from CITY, in Avantikabai Gokhale Road in Opera House in Mumbai. It is the Mecca of accessories and my old haunt in my days in the ‘90s when I had a red Gypsy (with lockable hubs, and a genuine 4x4).

- AUTOLIFE Wide View Smart Phone holder. It is a Korean make.
- ArmorAll all purpose cloth
- ArmorAll Ultra Shine Butter Smooth Wax. Needed for exterior metal once in a while
- ArmorAll Premium Wash and Wax + Protect. For regular cleaning, shining, and protection.
- ArmorAll Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. I may try it on my home upholstery also.
- ArmorAll Leather Care Gel. It is a cleaner and conditioner. Curiously, the bottle rests on its cap, if the label is upright, and if you keep the bottle on its base, the label is inverted.
- STP Son of a Gun Protectant, for shining and protecting Vinyl, Rubber and Plastic surfaces
- 3M 08877 Silicone Lubricant Plus
The last 2 were bought by my wife who gets all excited if there is anything to be cleaned. The 3M lubricant has already done wonders for my Corolla’s power windows that were stuck badly. I will try the shampoo on the tyres also. Wheels will come later.

There may be better brands than ArmorAll, but I have seen its effectiveness for myself, and chose this over Abro, Formula1, 3M, Maguire etc. Some of them may be better, but experimentation is a gradual process, and one has little risk of going wrong.

All the items above put together cost less than Rs6000.

There are 3 cars in our household, including my brother-in-law’s so there is enough to do with these cleaning agents. As a byproduct of my visit, I also noticed that for the Corolla, I can upgrade to a Pioneer BT + USB system for less than 10k. All-in-all a useful visit.

Dr.Kaustubh, what do you mean by Head unit for full slot? Music system? Mine is quite OK, and it is not the slim bar. It already has SatNav and a touch screen and DVD player. I don’t see any further utillity needing to be added (I would look to subtract a few, like CD and DVD player – so yesteryear). Plus these things are quite expensive – a Pioneer system costs Rs40k. I consider touch screens as fundamentally dilutive of safety, and try not to look at it at all if I can help. Only one irritant needs to be removed. The BT triggers my phone into music mode each time a incoming call happens.

I have so far not gone for LED lights, or Clear Tail after thinking about them mainly because I am not attracted to DRLs and like the red lights in the tail.

Bug deflectors – now that is quite something. I must look into this. Thanks for this tip. And comes in several interesting looks. Perhaps a window deflector also, at least for the rear windows. But I would hate to drill any holes in the metal of the hood, and hope the clamps will be solid enough. But what exactly does it protect?

Now the new list is:
- bug deflector
- USB charger – I am told that the phone gets damaged, so not in a hurry to get this
- Corner mirror on the hood, the one which comes with the Fortuner. I have a torrid time every night, especially if it is raining, getting the car in, and this can add value
- Jopasu Brush
Am thinking about this all the time. This is the last conventional car I will buy, in all likelihood. After this it has to be an electric car.

Last edited:
@ sharp shooter felt good to know that we think alike.[:D]
USB chargers are also available in the local market with 3 pins 6 pins up-to 9 pins. that's what i have seen so far they may come in more pins i don't know.
Jopasu duster is easily available online on Amazon or snapdeal so even that shouldn't be a problem
corner mirror is a small round mirror on your ORVM is that what you mean. if yes then even that can be procured in the local market for a mere 150-200 INR.
why not a electric Tyre inflator that is something very useful on long drives. I hope you have it if not that's a good buy, you can probably add in your list.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #19
incarnation - on USB chargers I have seen reports on the net about the phones getting damaged by car-charging. Even the dealers in Opera House discouraged me. I have to consult apple or some other mobile company's technical folks before taking that risk. Generally all chargers are not equal and the charging voltage and current makes a diff.

The corner mirror is the one just above the front bumper on the left, to let you know if the front left of the car is at risk of getting scuffed. It is standard fitting on the fortuner.

yeah now got the picture of what mirrors you meant. well thats a hard find wish you luck in finding it. and thanks for letting me know about the charger issue i use one such charger on my ride. but no issues face till now. but will look into it deeply after this post.

Thread Starter #22
samkolkata, thank you very much.

I have been thinking hard.

1) Cant do tyre pressure inflator. I use nitrogen. There is 78% nitrogen in the air all right, but I need 100% in the tyres.

2) I am considering (at an appropriate time) the option of having a wider exhaust pipe. Need to study this a bit more, warranty issues, who the best guys to do this in Mumbai are etc.

3) Tirehawk pressure sensor - this is really cool: TireHawk Bright +. Now I will have to become cross eyed to be able to keep an eye on the road and also on the cellphone screen, but since I have mounted my cellphone only slightly to the right of the dashboard, I can manage to sneak in a look, once in a while. The sensors are mounted on the nozzles and have embedded electronics, which is transmitted to a USB/Bluetooth transceiver. It is USB powered which transmits to the phone via bluetooth. For this I can buy the cheap USB charging port as the cellphone is not at risk. Imagine the pleasure of watching the tyre pressure on each tyre and spare, on your phone...!

4) OBD - On board diagnostics - who (in his right mind) would not like to see the impact of flooring the pedal on the phone display (too boring to see this on the dashboard). Plus there are many other things happening in the car. Plug in this attachment under the steering wheel (Android Bluetooth Torque Vgate ELM327 V2 1 Mini ELM 327 Obdii OBD II OBD2 KG220 | eBay) and watch the fun. Quite inexpensive.

5) From previous list - bug deflector, corner mirror, USB charging (for tirehawk) and Jopasu brush.

Of these if any of you have used 3) and 4) do write in.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #24
Hi Dr.Kaustubh - I have done 3k so far. have done 3 trips the longest one being 600km round trip with 4 heavy people on board. The machine performed flawlessly. It has gradually become part of my nervous system and now when I think something it just happens.

Also, as one's driving improves the fuel efficiency improves to 10 or 11 inside the city since the coasting is at idling rpm of 600 at any speed below 80kmph. Unlike in a manual, here one does not have to put the gear to neutral to coast. As long as one is driving at moderate speeds, and there is constant movement of traffic, the fuel efficiency picks up.

I don't want to give the impression that one has to do irresponsible driving to desperately boost fuel eff. What i mean is that if you drive in exactly the same fashion as you would a MT, then everytime you lift your foot off the pedal, you would not normally be applying the brakes. In a MT, the engine braking will start immediately, but here it happens only at speeds of over 85kmph and not at normal city driving speeds. But if one is a poor driver, as in the type that accelerates, then notices a traffic build up and has to apply brakes, then the FE will fall.

All electronics have delivered a flawless performance so far. I wish though that the Kenwood stock system did not have the terrible habit of switching back to "play" mode everytime one hangs up after a phone call. I frequently keep the system on pause, but after every phone call whether i take it or not, the system starts playing.

The handling is better than ever, and you can feel the menacing weight and power easily coexisting with the nimble handling. Just in case it doesn't, you can always feel the spokes of the steering wheel - they are like the tusks of a bull elephant.

I have not yet begun devoting time to modifications. I plant take it for a 400km trip with 5 people on board soon. Will let you know. But everyday I feel glad I made the decision to buy a Pajero Sport AT.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #25
I completed the400km round trip. The vehicle had 5 people, luggage and returned FE of 11.3. It was a breeze to drive, climbed easily everywhere, tackled rough terrain and bad roads with aplomb.

In the driver's seat, the usual level of cabin noise came, but when my wife drove, and I sat in the middle seat, the ride was very comfortable and completely noiseless. I don't understand where the noise disappears when one sits in the middle row.

The boot is not large enough to accommodate luggage for a complete trip, so I have to put a luggage carrier.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26
I had a strange experience with the Pajero service folks. I was pretty sure that given my purchase date of 14-June from Shakti Motors, my second service was due only by 14th-Dec or 10,000km, whichever was earlier, and hence I carefully kept within speed limits (130kmph) and tried to exploit every possible travel opportunity to reach 10k KMs quickly.
However, I got a call last month from the service center. The lady who called told me that my second service was due. I was in the middle of work, and in a moment of weakness, after a token protest that I did not recall anything being due immediately, I agreed. Especially since she insisted that it was a free service, inclusive of pick-up and drop.
I then was called by the service supervisor, and I advised him that a bolt under the dashboard was out of place, and that wheel balancing needed to be done, and I would pay for that. He discussed these two items briefly and agreed to get everything done within 2-3 days.
After 2-3 days, I got a call from him, and his driver proceeded with the drop. I was however at my workplace, trying to finish a meeting and then reach home in time to receive the vehicle. My meeting got extended, and I tried to contact the driver from 4pm to 5pm trying to get him to not go to my home but reach my office instead. His phone was switched off all the time. When he neared my home, he himself called me, said that he could not divert to my office, left me stranded, deposited the car at my home, and left.
Annoyed, I called the service supervisor. He apologised, and mysteriously said that the driver should have known better since there was a payment of Rs3500 to be collected from me. I came awake instantly, and enquired why any payment was due. He explained that the engine oil had been changed, and the oil and air filter were changed too.
I replied that oil change was due only in December, and I already had my own synthetic oil ready for this, which they had agreed to use, and that the lady had said it is a free service, and nothing except wheel balancing and the loose bolt had been discussed. The supervisor protested, until I pointed out the date of purchase. He then changed tack and said that I had given the vehicle to them, so ought to pay up. I told him about the call I got, upon which he enquired which of the two ladies had called me. This was too much detail for me, so I signed off saying that
- he should not have called me in the first place when nothing was due
- After receiving the vehicle, he should have checked the service booklet and seen that nothing was due and hence he should not have changed anything
- he should have told his driver to stay contactable while returning the car
- he had not marked this service in the service booklet as “completed”. Hence I suspect that the service never really happened. And that there has been no oil change, and that he is perhaps fabricating everything.
- I offered to pay for the wheel alignment but he refused, offended at my non-copoeration. He had forgotten about the loose bolt.
Altogether a strange experience. No damage to the vehicle, which continues to amaze me.

Most service advisor don't take serious actions during free services.

Even for my swift , i had asked them for pick up at 8 30 am sharp as no one will be there at my house, no one turned up even by 9 am, at last i dropped the car and gave a sound scolding to driver who was supposed to come to my place,as he didnt even respond to my calls also.(Same scenario like yours switched off).

Also i mentioned in earlier threads,they didn't look into air filter cleaning (Usually i give check list to service advisor written in paper), the SA accepted his mistake ( i opened the hood and took out air filter to show him that it wasn't cleaned).

I will judge whether to give them my car or there are 2 other dealer service in Trivandrum.
3 rd service is my only cue.

Thread Starter #29
Hi Sakthivel, apologies I was away for a while. 1) I have not done any off-roading with the 4x2. I would guess that since it has a powerful engine, and hauls 5 adults over steep slopes easily, at decent RPMs its pulling ability is not in doubt. But the traction in a 4x4 can be stepped up to multiples of the 4x2s ability so there would be no comparison with a 4x4 Pajero sport. 2) the offer was a straight discount of 30k, and no other discounts. I did not bargain very hard either. I have not had a great service or after-sales experience as they seem very sloppy. I still have to get my RC Book, after six months...!

Thread Starter #30
Iron Rock - some advice needed ahead of the six month service (2nd service).

In your thread you have said you have used Motul 5W40. I checked with the Motul website. they list the following:
: Normal
Products : 8100 ECO-CLEAN+ 5W-30 (Below 10°C)
: 8100 ECO-CLEAN 5W-30 (Below 10°C)
: 8100 ECO-LITE 5W-30 (Below 10°C)
: 8100 ECO-NERGY 5W-30 (Below 10°C)
: 8100 X-CLEAN FE 5W-30 (Below 10°C)
: 8100 X-CLEAN 5W-30 (Below 10°C)
: 8100 X-CLEAN 5W-40 (Below 20°C)
: 8100 X-CESS 5W-40 (Below 20°C)
: 6100 SYNERGIE+ 10W-40 (Above -25°C)
: 4100 TURBOLIGHT 10W-40 (Above -25°C)
: 4000 MOTION 10W-30 (From -25°C to 40°C)

The one you have chosen, 8100 X-Cess (and thanks a ton for listing the individual service reports so neatly in your opening post, made it very easy to trace, I will do likewise), seems for below 20°C. So has it done a good job and did you stick with this for the next service also? Also the 4100 series listed above seems to have a very wide band of minus 25 to 40, so perhaps less ideally suited. Which were the other ones you considered? Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom