A True Gentleman and Leader – Sir Ratan Tata

Thread Starter #1
What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai victims... what every Indian should know!

Ratan Tata is the chairman of Indian Hotels who own the Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai, which was the target of the terrorists on 26/11/08.

Hotel President a 5 star property also belongs to Indian Hotels.

The following is really touching.

What Ratan Tata did for the Mumbai victims.... Don't miss!!!!!!

SALUTE TO MR. RATAN TATA

A. The Tata Gesture

1. All category of employees including those who had completed even 1 day as casuals were treated on duty during the time the hotel was closed.

2. Relief and assistance to all those who were injured and killed

3. The relief and assistance was extended to all those who died at the railway station, surroundings including the “Pav- Bha ji” vendor and the pan shop owners.

4. During the time the hotel was closed, the salaries were sent by money order.

5. A psychiatric cell was established in collaboration with Tata Institute of Social Sciences to counsel those who needed such help.

6. The thoughts and anxieties going on people’s mind was constantly tracked and where needed psychological help provided.

7. Employee outreach centers were opened where all help, food, water, sanitation, first aid and counseling was provided. 1600 employees were covered by this facility.

8. Every employee was assigned to one mentor and it was that person’s responsibility to act as a “single window” clearance for any help that the person required.

9. Ratan Tata personally visited the families of all the 80 employees who in some manner – either through injury or getting killed – were affected.

10. The dependents of the employees were flown from outside Mumbai to Mumbai and taken care off in terms of ensuring mental assurance and peace. They were all accommodated in Hotel President for 3 weeks.

11. Ratan Tata himself asked the families and dependents – as to what they wanted him to do.

12. In a record time of 20 days, a new trust was created by the Tatas for the purpose of relief of employees.

13. What is unique is that even the other people, the railway employees, the police staff, the pedestrians who had nothing to do with Tatas were covered by compensation. Each one of them was provided subsistence allowance of Rs. 10K per month for all these people for 6 months.

14. A 4 year old granddaughter of a vendor got 4 bullets in her and only one was removed in the Government hospital. She was taken to Bombay hospital and several lacs were spent by the Tatas on her to fully recover her.

15. New hand carts were provided to several vendors who lost their carts.

16. Tata will take responsibility of life education of 46 children of the victims of the terror.

17. This was the most trying period in the life of the organization. Senior managers including Ratan Tata were visiting funeral to funeral over the 3 days that were most horrible.

18. The settlement for every deceased member ranged from Rs. 36 to 85 lacs [One lakh rupees tranlates to approx 2200 US $ ] in addition to the following benefits:

a. Full last salary for life for the family and dependents;

b. Complete responsibility of education of children and dependents – anywhere in the world.

c. Full Medical facility for the whole family and dependents for rest of their life.

d. All loans and advances were waived off – irrespective of the amount.

e. Counselor for life for each person

B. Epilogue

1. How was such passion created among the employees? How and why did they behave the way they did?

2. The organization is clear that it is not something that someone can take credit for. It is not some training and development that created such behaviour. If someone suggests that – everyone laughs

3. It has to do with the DNA of the organization, with the way Tata culture exists and above all with the situation that prevailed that time. The organization has always been telling that customers and guests are #1 priority

4. The hotel business was started by Jamshedji Tata when he was insulted in one of the British hotels and not allowed to stay there.

5. He created several institutions which later became icons of progress, culture and modernity. IISc is one such institute. He was told by the rulers that time that he can acquire land for IISc to the extent he could fence the same. He could afford fencing only 400 acres.

6. When the HR function hesitatingly made a very rich proposal to Ratan – he said – do you think we are doing enough?

7. The whole approach was that the organization would spend several hundred crore in re-building the property – why not spend equally on the employees who gave their life?

This is NOT COVERED BY Any NEWS CHANNELS !

I Salute Mr. Ratan Tata.

Source : Facebook

Re: Salute to Mr. Ratan Tata

Raj: Thanks for sharing the information. I heard this in bits & pieces from friends!

Tata's are undoubtedly the best when it comes to caring for their employees interests. Should I say caring for humans in whatever way they can. It is impossible to imagine any other organisations (however small or big it is) to breed this culture.

Hats off to The TATA's and am proud that they are Indians!

Raj, thanks a lot for sharing this.

I have always respected the Tata's for what they do apart from their business...the way they care for their employees and their families. Apart from that, their commitment and assistance provided to the common public has really been fantastic which is not at all their 'RESPONSIBILITY'. They always do it by considering it as a social responsibility of the rich towards the mankind, help, which 'The Gifted Ones' should provide to the ones who have an unability to do achieve something in life.

I hate the Ambani's and the others as they are only after making money(never heard of anything like that from them). I would give a reason for it - Consider Vijay Mallya, spending like hell on things like IPL, F1 but never ever created a proper organization which could help the poor. He wanted to earn fame, for that he bought Mahatma Gandhi's spects and other things in an auction for not sure how many crores, but never ever something for the poor.

All the above things are my personal opinions and I think I have the right to express them. If I hurt anyone, please forgive me, but this is how I feel about the others. [frustration]

Way to go Tata, you're the best business family in India, which has in real terms made India shine on the global platform !! Kudos [thumbsup]

Hats of to Mr. Ratan Tata for this noble gesture. And thanks for sharing this piece of article. I read this one on Facebook earlier and needless to say, the same did get numerous likes.

PS: 5 Stars to this thread.

A true gentleman and leader - Sir Ratan Tata.

Like a true leader we all know sir Ratan tata has taken tata industries and tata motors to whole diffrent level with their innovative products and by acquiring the iconic brand JLR and by turning them from a sick unit to highly successful unit in record time .
But in our home ground we have seen tata motors struggling and have not been innovative enough to take their competetiors head on and out class them .
A true gentleman in my view is the one who accepts the flaws and weakness gracefully and is not shy in admitting them in public .

In a recent interview with autocar india September issue this is what sir Ratan tata had to say -
"Another dissapointment I can't get away from is the relative lack of passion I see in the company today in the passenger car area. I might be little long winded on this subject, but I've always felt that cars are emotive products that strike you with their design and overall driving experience. They are enchanting things that make you feel special.
A car is not a coffee making machine, it's a total experience. The market does not take whatever you give them, so unless you have atleast one or two people in the company who have that passion, the desire for perfection, and truly see what an ideal customer wants, you just have another car company. The automotive business won't allow you to sustain yourself by being just another company. You have to be driven by passion to give a driving experience, you have to be attractive to your customer, it's a bit of a romance" .

The interview has covered many topics related to tata motors and sir Ratan tatas contribution to the Indian auto industry .

So tata motors please wake up from slumber now and show the world that you can take the challenge with the power., Resources , and talent you have and please listen to the words and message you'r master is giving you the same master who gave your company international exposure with his vision and passion .
Shake yourself and take the completion head on just don't be lazy or lethargic orelse you will just destroy the dream , passion and legacy of the great visionary , a great leader Sir Ratan Tata . If you turn around JLR with exciting products and turn the fortune of a sick company in record time why cant you do that with your indian opreations ? Salute to Sir Ratan Tata.

Last edited:
Really a great man of honor.

He had rejected offer to buy some healthy no. Of safari by pakistan gov. But THE ratan tata refused coz he dont want to do business with a contry which promotes terririsome against us !!

Show me any businessman with this much self respect .

Re: A true gentleman and leader - Sir Ratan Tata.

+1000 Raja.

See the point is a visionary is also worried about their Auto company !!

I always felt that our fellow country men know more about Sir Ratan Tata, his passion, his dream than the Tata Motors employees right from the top to bottom. They just feel that Tata has an auto company along with some many others and they are working for that. If this is their attitude, then Sir Ratan Tata's words become true that they will be one more auto company in the country and its survival also will become difficult. Yes they need at least one two guys at the top driving the company and teams with same kind of passion towards cars and patience to listen to their customers and able to look at what is happening in the Auto world of India !! I wish this happens soon[clap]

Re: The Story of Tata's Epic Journey from Trucks to Aria

Few excerpts from the report:Ratan Tata: A journey in four stages - Livemint

The story of the Tata group and Ratan Tata over the past 20 years is one of growth and competition, productivity and efficiency gains, and globalization and innovation. The Tata story is replete with run-ins with the establishment and the political opposition, and failures and frustrations. And, in some ways, it is the story of India itself, only with a happier ending.

“In my personal view, when JRD saw this scramble among the company chiefs to succeed him and the unpleasant innuendos that surfaced, he may have appointed someone who understood the Tata ethos, which was always very important to him; and, perhaps, he thought Ratan Tata was someone who could uphold this ethos,” Piramal said.

Tata himself sees the re-establishment of the group identity as one of his achievements. In the interview that was posted on the group’s website, he said one of his most satisfying moments as chairman was the welding of “the organization together in a more cohesive way than it had been in the past, that it was able to identify itself more as a group”.
In many ways, the Indica started a trend in the Tata group. Every year since, Ratan Tata has feted individuals or teams that have worked on an interesting project even if it didn’t succeed, under a programme called “Dare to Fail”.
The same retirement rule that saw some of JRD’s satraps leave the group will mandate Tata’s retirement as well. “Some people have suggested that the retirement policy should not apply to the chairman,” Tata said in his interview on the website. “I have always believed that you don’t make exceptions for yourself. So I took the view that the rule should apply to me too. I realize that I have to live by the rules that I have set and step down when the time comes. And that time has come.”

Re: The Story of Tata's Epic Journey from Trucks to Aria

A fantastic article it is Xovy, thanks for sharing. Read about 33% of it but will be completing it within an hour or two.

Just Found on INDIAN ARMY OFFICER PAGE on Facebook,

FRIENDS DO YOU KNOW HOW REALLY BEING PETRIOTIC HUMAN:

Taj group of Hotels owned by TATAs launched their biggest tender ever for remodeling all their Hotels in India and abroad. Some of the companies who applied for that tender were also terrorist Pakistanis. (Aldrich)

To make their bid stronger, two big industrialists from terrorist Pakistan visited Bombay House ( Head office of Tata ) in Mumbai without an appointment to meet up with Ratan Tata since he was not giving them any prior appointment.

They were made to sit at the reception of Bombay house and after a few hours a message was conveyed to them that Ratan Tata is busy and can not meet anyone without an appointment.

Frustrated, these two Paki industrialists went to Delhi and thru their High Commission met up with than Commerce Minister Anand Sharma. Sharma immediately called up Ratan Tata requesting him to meet up with the two terrorist Paki Industrialists and consider their tender "enthusiastically". Ratan Tata replied..."you could be shameless, I am not" and put the phone down.

Few months later when terrorist Pakistani government placed an order of Tata Sumo's to be imported into terrorist Pakistan, Ratan Tata refused to ship a single vehicle to that country.

This is the respect and love for motherland that Ratan Tata has.

Something that our current corrupt Politicians should learn from.

You got to stand up for something in your life...else you will fall for everything.

Awaken Country men, the Nation is above everything else.

Top Bottom