A Reality Check: How Many of Us Actually Wear Seat Belts?

Do you wear your seat belt?

• Total voters
yes. a lot of people don't know about the link between airbags & seatbelt. a group of college goers met a serious accident in Ford ecosport. the Kids got thrown out of the car and got serious fractures all around. his parents were fuming why the airbags didn't work and all.

when I told airbags are deactive without proper seat belts, he went silent.
Very true! Most people think airbags are some kind of super fluffy pillows that will keep you away from all injuries in the event of an accident, but they can be potentially dangerous thanks to the speeds at which they are deployed...

Having options to switch off an airbag is maybe a feature to avoid costs incase they inflate.
Suppose you're driving alone in a car with two front Airbags, It is well known that airbags are costly to replace. Incase the airbags deploy, only your's will inflate so as to avoid paying for two bags ... Since you're alone.. this is just my assumption!

bhvm

Honoured Member
dont know..but Mahindra Service told me the same thing.

the theory is that if airbag explodes on the face of person without seatbelt (who would be really close to airbag due to braking), could cause serious injury by itself.

dont know..but Mahindra Service told me the same thing.

the theory is that if airbag explodes on the face of person without seatbelt (who would be really close to airbag due to braking), could cause serious injury by itself.
Yes, as I said, Airbags are super fast and it's like a mini explosion... The same energy if transmitted to the face, causes very serious injuries.
But when you're wearing a seatbelt, your face won't hit the airbag/ steering and the airbag won't deploy on your face either.

The option of deactivating an air bag is for parents who travel with infants or toddler along with a rear facing car seat.

seat belt is used to constraint the passenger from hitting the dashboard or the steering wheel and also from hitting the air bags with excessive force.

Interesting discussion on airbag deployment. So my doubt is, if there is only the driver in the car with seat belt fastened and in case he meets with an accident, does the co passenger airbag also deploy or only the driver side? My assumption is both will deploy unless you have a switch to deactivate the co-passenger side airbag.

Interesting discussion on airbag deployment. So my doubt is, if there is only the driver in the car with seat belt fastened and in case he meets with an accident, does the co passenger airbag also deploy or only the driver side? My assumption is both will deploy unless you have a switch to deactivate the co-passenger side airbag.
Maybe not, since only the driver's seatbelt is fastened, it's only the driver's airbag that may deploy....

both deploys. i can assure for that since i had first hand experience. i was alone in car and belted up and both airbags deployed.

I just can't crank the engine unless driver (me in this case) and codriver have buckled up. On Long journeys or highway runs we make sure rear passengers are buckled up too.

I do regularly now, ever since I got fined Rs. 100 by a policeman just on the corner from my office. I had just done a U turn and come on to the main road when this happened. Hardly 200 - 300 metres and I got caught without the seat belt on. :p

We(my dad and I ) have always had the habit of buckling up even if it is for 200 m. Basically the car doesn't start if the driver and co passenger is not buckled up. My mom use to say seatbelts are not needed and it spoils the dress etc . To convince her, I just showed her a few pictures where seatbelts have saved the day and from that day she buckles up. [:)]

Have voted "sometimes" in the poll, because i dont wear a seat-belt while going to my shop as it is a 3 km/20mins drive. It covers more than 50% of my yearly kms.
But on the highway and other drives, i am sure to buckle up each and every-time with the co driver,my wife.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Have voted "sometimes" in the poll, because i dont wear a seat-belt while going to my shop as it is a 3 km/20mins drive.
Honestly, bro, mishaps can happen even in 500 mts or may not happen even in 500 kms but one should never take anything for granted and should wear seat belts all times for own safety.

Regards

Akash

For past 10 years, I made sure that not for a single time I avoid buckling the seatbelt, even if just 100-meters drive (I am driver or passenger). I feel once one doesn't buckle up for 100 meters thinking nothing will happen, next time that will grow to 200 meters, then 500m and then km to several kms. I think that's how the bad habit starts. And my car doesn't have Airbag, ABS or any other safety tech, the least safety is seatbelt. I also make sure to insist my co-passengers wear seatbelts.
I have noticed, people (my friends or colleagues or relatives) in front they follow the safety of seatbelts but when they go in the backseat they don't want to buckle up.

Top Bottom