A Photolog: Murudeshwar - Gokarna

Thread Starter #1
June is the season of monsoon.

June is also the season of exams. And what better way to unwind after a month's grind than drive through ghats during monsoon?

We had four days at hand before each had his own commitment to address.So, we decided to do a three day trip Murudeshwar and Gokarna. June 19th-21st.

We started off from Bangalore at half past six in the morning. The roads were mostly good and we were able to cover good distance.

After crossing Shimoga,somewhere close to Sagara, the GPS's battery died and we took a wrong turn. After enquiring with the locals we found out that we were off the mark and they suggested that we drive through Kundapura.We traversed through Siddapura-Basrur to reach Kundapur. We couldn't find any hotels en route. We had to make do with the corn flakes and the junk we carried along. The detour cost us an hour or two but was worth it. The route is completely scenic. We reached Murudeshwar around 5PM. Went to RNS residency and after a bit haggling booked a single room for 2400/- for four people(1800+300 extra per head). Took a quick shower and visited the temple.

At around 2pm the next day, we started off to Gokarna and booked a room at Namastay Cafe for 1800/- with two additional beds at no extra cost

Note: I woudn't suggest this place to anyone.If you insist on staying at the beach and this is your only choice,I recommend booking the AC rooms here as the non AC rooms are small. A single AC room can accommodate four easily. The non AC is for two only. A third person would severely constrict the place. And not to mention,the non AC room's bathroom was in a bad shape. Bad enough to make you puke.

The so called AC room's AC stopped working in the dead of night and we had to sleep without AC in a AC room...

I informed the management and they asked us to pay non AC room charges. Herein lies the fun part, when we enquired the previous day, they quoted 900/- for the non AC room and now they jack it up to 1200. After 15 minutes of heated argument we settle for 1100 (thanks to my friends, else I would have gone on arguing and paid 900 only).

The food is nothing to write home either.

We visit the Gokarna temple around 12:30 and start off to Bangalore. At around 2:30PM we stop at Sirsi for lunch. We left Sirsi around 3:45PM. Drove non-stop until we reach Chitradurga around 6:30PM.We stopped by for some delectable tatte-idlilis. These are so soft that they melt in your mouth. A must try for those who haven't tried it. We finally reach Bangalore at around quarter 10PM.

Managed an amazing fuel efficiency of 18.6 kmpl.

Resizing the images, posting it in a short while. Also my connection is very slow, I can't upload many pics in one post. Mods bear with me if I post the pics in multiple posts.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
En route to Murudeshwar

1.jpg

I am reducing the size further so that I can post more in a single post. Bear wit ht the image quality.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Continued.. En route to Murudehwar
2.jpg

3.jpg

It was cloudy and foggy throughout. Visibility was almost nil at some places, we had to wait for a while for the fogs to clear out.

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

My ride:

8.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent pics Sachin. Which cam have you used to capture the scenic beauty. I love the clarity of your pics.

Thread Starter #7
@ Akash, Canon Powershot A710IS, yeah pics are good. The images are even more brilliant without resizing. Psst.. Once you graduate to a DSLR, these pic quality seem like crap. He he..

Continued..

Beach enroute

14.jpg

Fishermen

16.jpg

The winds were pretty strong, see the trees.

17.jpg

All in a day's work for 'em

18.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Last edited:
Sachin, hope you stayed at R.N.Shetty's hotel @ Murdeshwar.

Nice pics there.

The place is wholly developed by RNS.

A fantastic view of Shiva can be seen from hotel.

In Gokarna , one can touch atma linga of shiva.

Hope you enjoyed there.

And you would have gone through Mangalore, instead of Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar.

The last pic seems to be Marvanthe beach Kundapur.

Thread Starter #9
A view of the temple from the hotel room. Quick Darshan for the lazy legs like me :P

23.jpg

Lord Shiva. @ Everyone, any idea how I can minimize the lens flare?

24.jpg

Another view from the room

25.jpg

The boys took a dip in the pool, I was content watching them play

26.jpg

Your's truly

27.jpg

Thread Starter #10
Sachin, hope you stayed at R.N.Shetty's hotel @ Murdeshwar.

Nice pics there.

The place is wholly developed by RNS.

A fantastic view of Shiva can be seen from hotel.

In Gokarna , one can touch atma linga of shiva.

Hope you enjoyed there.

And you would have gone through Mangalore, instead of Shimoga-Sagar-Jog-Honnavar.

The last pic seems to be Marvanthe beach Kundapur.
Yup, stayed in RNS residency. Pics don't do justice, the place is truly wonderful. We did touch the Atma linga in Gokarna Temple. Mangalore route would have been too long, what we took was the shortest. Anyways, thanks to the GPS, we finally had to do a bit of Mangalore-Murd route only[:)]

Thread Starter #11
En route to Gokarna

You can see the sea, see! I love it when I can rhyme without any effort[clap]

28.jpg

Tarmac,plants/trees,sea,car,sky. What more can I capture in a single frame,I wonder!

30.jpg

A view from the restaurant,Namastey Cafe

31.jpg

Alone I stand... In case you haven't noticed, a man stands on the rock[:)]

32.jpg

Thread Starter #12
A few pics of the boys having fun. Like earlier, I was just a photographer[:)]. Camera is my second love after cars, even beach can't deter me!

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

Foot prints on the sands of time..
36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

From which way you have reached the Beach, as the one i went was through the narrow road from the temple.

I had gone to the OM beach.

The beach was totally littered.

Thread Starter #14
We walk around the beach and come across innumerable tiny baby crabs. These things are amazingly fast. They are so small and light in weight that they get blown away by the wind. For the next two hours we were on a crab hunt mission, trying to catch them. Finally,after a agonizing half an hour of back breaking,we manage to capture them.

39.jpg

Next up, a photolog, Koda-pondi in a few days.

A teaser pic[:)]

DSC_0215_1.jpg

Thread Starter #15
From which way you have reached the Beach, as the one i went was through the narrow road from the temple.

I had gone to the OM beach.

The beach was totally littered.
We too visited OM beach. The other beaches, 'Paradise' and 'Half moon' beaches were closed due to monsoon. OM beach has the temple, the other two beaches are the typical 'tourist' beaches i.e, grass/weed and women are easily available. In short, those beaches are only for vices, definitely wouldn't recommend if you are taking your kid along.

A bit OT, in Kodai, a man approached us and asked us if we needed mushrooms/weed/women only cause he saw a bunch of boys hanging around.

Top Bottom