A Lazy Drive To Hogenakkal

Thread Starter #1
A Scenic route To Hogenakkal falls

We went for a drive to Hogenakkal yesterday. We have heard so much about the fresh fish curry and fry available there, so we thought we will give it a try. We love fish and we took 2 big tupperware boxes to bring some fish curry and fry back.

The purpose of the trip was to have a good drive and get some good fish dishes. We had no plans of boat rides or even seeing the falls.

We bought 2 kilos of fish for 200 rs and gave it to those cooks over there for cooking them. While they were cooking them, we just walked around and saw some of the falls.

The fish business turned out to be a bad experience for us. We are used to Sea fish and we didn't like the taste of river fish that we got there. That was a big disappointment for us.

The route we took was Bangalore - Attebelle - Denkanikottai - Anchetty - Hogenakkal.

Except for a very bad stretch of around 4 kms, the drive was great and we really enjoyed the drive.

The fish business turned out to be a bad experience for us. We are used to Sea fish and we didn't like the taste of river fish that we got there. That was a big disappointment for us.

The scenic route took us through some villages, forests and some ghat roads with a couple of hairpin bends thrown in. The road also runs along the river Cauvery for some distance before reaching Hogenakkal.

a01.jpg

a02.jpg

a03.jpg

a04.jpg

a05.jpg

a06.jpg

a07.jpg

a08.jpg

a09.jpg

a10.jpg

a11.jpg

a12.jpg

a13.jpg

a14.jpg

a15.jpg

a16.jpg

a17.jpg

a18.jpg

a19.jpg

a20.jpg

a21.jpg

a22.jpg

a23.jpg

a24.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos. It's been long time, almost more than 2yrs since I visited Hogenakkal. the river fishes are also has variety. You will have to carefully check with them. Also, it depends on the kind of cooking these people make. When I visited last time, I asked them to prepare fish curry and it was good. If you like Tamilian's village style fish curry then you can enjoy otherwise no. Anyway, always there is "Next time" in the travel :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent pictures.

Looks like an ideal place for a short trip.

Won't be disappointed there since I don't like fish.

Hey those pics are really good man !! and its seems to be lot of places with waterfalls and good greenery too. I think we need to see this place as option for upcoming meet in Jan'2013 but most of the Bangalore friends say it is not so good[surprise]

Thread Starter #6
Excellent pictures.

Looks like an ideal place for a short trip.

Won't be disappointed there since I don't like fish.
Thanks autosafari. The drive was great. It made up for the bad taste of those fish.

We made up for that by buying mutton on the way back in a village called Anjetti.

Hey those pics are really good man !! and its seems to be lot of places with waterfalls and good greenery too. I think we need to see this place as option for upcoming meet in Jan'2013 but most of the Bangalore friends say it is not so good[surprise]
Thanks Gurrala,

The place and the drive is great. It is crowded on holidays. But there are a lot of great scenic places there where one can go and get some privacy. The falls in my picture are just starters. There are many big falls that we didn't even see, as our objective was just to buy fish and come back. We are planing to go there once again to see the splendor of cauvery.

Re: A Scenic route To Hogenakkal falls

I am thinking of it for quite a long time...

Actually, the River Fish would be much tastier and preferable than Sea Fish. May be won't work if you hadn't tried it before. Moreover, the preparation also quite important.

Thread Starter #8
@Figoian,

We are regular sea fish eaters. This was the first time we had river fish. We don't think we will ever try river fish again.

@HR,

Nice set of Pics Buddy,

Till today I've not visited Hogenakkal, May be in future I may visit that place. I'll have a word with you before going there[;)]

Wow those roads look temping,you mentioned 4 km bad stretch,so not a trip for sports cars then?

You must have hated the fish alot cos you mentioned it twice in the first post [lol],am guessing the fish had a muddy taste to it,it tastes diff depending on water conditions.

Top Bottom